Japanese animation and Anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Shea

I just said why I chose the term "Japanese Animation".
I could've said "Bababamboobalay" and meant the same thing.
I used it for a lack of a better term. Be thankful I didn't use "Whammydoodle".

And as for "animated dramas" it's a term my sister came up with.
We only use it between ourselves.

And by the way, I don't think that there should be all kinds of different isles for anime. Just two. Realistic and Cartoon.

--------------------EDIT--------------------
I'm not gonna stage some massive campaign.
I was just asking if anyone else felt the same way I do.
I didn't think this would become a somewhat big deal.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Ryvius

Shea wrote:I was just asking if anyone else felt the same way I do.
Obviously, we don't.
Lans

Ryvius wrote:Obviously, we don't.
IMO, there's no need to jump in into such conclusion.

Frankly speaking, giving it out a different name won't make it unique or distinguish itself from the 'regular anime'. However by creating a sort of different 'class' or level (of entertainment) could increase the show's image on the viewers mind set. That could be explained through marketing’s theory of product positioning. Still, that would be problematic and probably unachievable, since it just couldn’t provide enough different characteristic and uniqueness to make it looks and feels different to the rest of the 'regular anime'.

For no viewers of anime, Gundam or Azumanga Daioh just generally tastes, feels, smells, and looks the same. We can say, they are perceived on the same category, that is named Japanese animation.
Koshernova

This reminds me a lot of the comics vs graphic novels debate. Vs manga. Vs underground comix.

They're all comics. Some may not be funny, but they're all comics. And it's the same here.

Plus, come up with whatever definition you like, in Japan all animation is called 'anime'. Anime is just short for 'animation' over there, and there's not a thing you can do about it.
X10A-Freedom

The thing is anime fans already know the difference between shows even if a Gundam dvd is siting next to a Yugioh dvd. The people who dont know are people that dont give a crap about anime and thus know nothing about it. And I feel that by dividing anime into things like realistic and cartoons wouldnt do anything because anime fans already know and the people who dont give a crap still wont give a crap. And on a personal note if anime was divided by cartoon or adult I dont know if I would be an anime fan even though Im not that old I consider myself an old school anime fan I have a bunch of anime vhs like the original appleseed, angle cop, black magic m-66 to name a few that I started to get at 8 or 9 because my parents thought oh It just cartoons and let me buy them I loved how the shows treated me like a adult and didnt dumb things down for me so maybe having anime all together isnt a bad thing. Oh and my parents are responsible there just a little naive when it comes to anime.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Shea

I guess you guys are right.

Movies can be split up into all kinds of categories,
but in the end they're still movies.

There really is no point in whatever the hell I'm doing right now.
Did you ever make a topic and think "What the hell was I thinking?" the next day?
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Strike Zero

Shea wrote:And by the way, I don't think that there should be all kinds of different isles for anime. Just two. Realistic and Cartoon.
In other words, you simply wish to see the anime in stores divvied up by their respective genres rather than lumped into one large "anime" section.

I can see how that makes sense and would be helpful to some people to see them divided by "action", "comedy", "fantasy", "sci-fi", etc., but as people have already stated, it's not really necessary. Most stores don't carry enough different anime shows to warrant the use of such a system.

Besides that, I believe that most people who go out to buy anime DVDs don't go to the stores just to browse. They already have a single, specific title that they're looking for when they do so. Anybody who actually has a specific interest in the anime genre would be able to tell what the different shows are all about just by taking a quick look at the case, and those who don't know probably aren't that interested in anime to begin with.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hm....how about an age rating, or some kind of label for intended demographic? Similar things already exist, and this kind of approach seems somewhat more feasible than putting connotations on a term that not everyone will agree with.

I think I know where Shea is coming from, though. The kind of frustration you're seeing is why I don't even talk about anime in public, or even with people who I can tell would most likely not understand. Those who don't know and don't care....just dont' know and don't care. -,- And common anime fans are friggin' weird and creepy. Please keep them far away from me. o_o

Sorry that your brother in law got you a Yugioh dvd....it must have been a really good kick in the balls, huh? If you want to talk about anime with people, I suppose sitting down with them and having a decent talk/explanation would be more appropriate than saying "I like anime." Just be sure to mention that you have specific tastes in things. Otherwise....well, you know what happens.

I just try to handle things as quietly and casually as possible. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Shea

Seraphic wrote:Hm....how about an age rating, or some kind of label for intended demographic? Similar things already exist, and this kind of approach seems somewhat more feasible than putting connotations on a term that not everyone will agree with.

I think I know where Shea is coming from, though. The kind of frustration you're seeing is why I don't even talk about anime in public, or even with people who I can tell would most likely not understand. Those who don't know and don't care....just dont' know and don't care. -,- And common anime fans are friggin' weird and creepy. Please keep them far away from me. o_o

Sorry that your brother in law got you a Yugioh dvd....it must have been a really good kick in the balls, huh? If you want to talk about anime with people, I suppose sitting down with them and having a decent talk/explanation would be more appropriate than saying "I like anime." Just be sure to mention that you have specific tastes in things. Otherwise....well, you know what happens.

I just try to handle things as quietly and casually as possible. =o
I actually tried to explain what anime I liked, but I guess he all he heard was "Wahn Wah Plibthbthbth".
MrMarch

Shea wrote:I guess you guys are right.

Movies can be split up into all kinds of categories,
but in the end they're still movies.

There really is no point in whatever the hell I'm doing right now.
Did you ever make a topic and think "What the hell was I thinking?" the next day?
Very wise.

But since we're on the topic, there are those that try to make a distinction between movies and films :)
Some call common blockbusters and other popular productions "movies" while all the niche works they consider of high quality, artistic relevance as "films".
It's best not to take it seriously or only use such elitist foolishness when we're in a sarcastic mood :)
azrael

MrMarch wrote: Very wise.

But since we're on the topic, there are those that try to make a distinction between movies and films :)
Some call common blockbusters and other popular productions "movies" while all the niche works they consider of high quality, artistic relevance as "films".
It's best not to take it seriously or only use such elitist foolishness when we're in a sarcastic mood :)
People give things different names to make it sound different, more or less distinguish from other things, more technical terminology, etc. Car vs. Automobile. Movies vs. films. "Japanese animation" sounds more technical than "anime". But it's still, at it's core, the same thing.
Destiny_Gundam

It could be worse. The official name could be 'Japanimation.'

Not even I can take that seriously.

Personally, when asked I'll say "I like Japanese cartoons." That way, the person always knows what I'm talking about. And if they're interested, they'll inquire about more.

Atleast my parents know enough about my hobby that they'll get me to show them what I want, rather than picking something random.

Though my mom keeps going "It's Sailor Moon!"

What volume of Yu-gi-oh did you get anyways? Some of those eps can be pretty awesome.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ShadowCell

If you're so concerned with making your chosen genre of entertainment out to be more "dignified," then you're probably watching it for all the wrong reasons to begin with.
X10A-Freedom

Seraphic wrote: And common anime fans are friggin' weird and creepy.
LOL Especially when lots of them gather in one place. Thats why the other nerds(Star Trek,Star Wars and so on) wont come near us. :D
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Attomoku

X10A-Freedom wrote:
LOL Especially when lots of them gather in one place. Thats why the other nerds(Star Trek,Star Wars and so on) wont come near us. :D
Here this explains why:
http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchart.pdf
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
thanatos

I have never discussed anime with anyone I know. The only exception to that is when I saw a volume of Trigun manga on my friend's desk and asked him if he had ever seen Black Lagoon.

While I certainly support bringing more anime to North America and distributing it properly (not like this) I do get a certain amount of enjoyment in thinking that these shows are not mainstream. I like to think that my enjoyment of them is based on their merit, not the advertising and marketing that goes into all other media available to me.[/url]
Lans

X10A-Freedom wrote:
The cosplay bunch (and the freakiness of some) doesn't help either.

One thing for sure, just don't get involved too much in that kind of 'gathering'. Especially when you're still stuck in your school live where reputation impacts on your friendship and peace of mind. If somehow you happen to be there, make sure you do cosplay with mask in it. A full helmet mask like Zero's would be very recommended.
Kavik Ryx

This feels like the whole movies vs. film debate. They are both the same thing down to their very makeup. The only difference is what people think of when they here on or the other.
Shea

Destiny_Gundam wrote:It could be worse. The official name could be 'Japanimation.'

Not even I can take that seriously.

Personally, when asked I'll say "I like Japanese cartoons." That way, the person always knows what I'm talking about. And if they're interested, they'll inquire about more.

Atleast my parents know enough about my hobby that they'll get me to show them what I want, rather than picking something random.

Though my mom keeps going "It's Sailor Moon!"

What volume of Yu-gi-oh did you get anyways? Some of those eps can be pretty awesome.
I honestly can't (And don't really want to) remember.
I gave it to my (at the time) 5-year-old nephew, afterwards he went to Michigan with his mother and father to see his grandparents for the rest of December. (And thank God he accidentally left that DVD down there.)
He didn't even watch it, he said it looked "poopy".
lans* wrote:
X10A-Freedom wrote:
The cosplay bunch (and the freakiness of some) doesn't help either.

One thing for sure, just don't get involved too much in that kind of 'gathering'. Especially when you're still stuck in your school live where reputation impacts on your friendship and peace of mind. If somehow you happen to be there, make sure you do cosplay with mask in it. A full helmet mask like Zero's would be very recommended.
I shocked all my friends when I told them that I don't go to con's or "anime parties".
I build Gundam models, buy Gundam DVD's, and Gundam comic books, but that's as far as I go.

I used to be really hardcore into anime of all kinds about 8 years ago.
But now, only Gundam, Gurren Lagann, and Tenchi Muyo nab my attention anymore. But even 8 years ago, DVD's, books, and models is as far as I went.
Big B

I think referring to Japanese Animation as that or Anime is distinct enough. It's simply one generalized name for a style. As with American animation and comics, there's a wide variety of styles and stories. Garfield and X-Men are two vastly different examples, but are both American products. We may have specific subdivisions, but under the umbrella of American comics, they both are covered. Now, depending on the impression of the person saying or hearing it, it can lean a certain way.

I enjoy anime and support it, but I don't think it's going to help to divvy it up into multiple parts because someone likes certain titles.