The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Unit 15

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Except that wasn't what Relena did at all. And seriously, guys, the square peg of Gundam 00 does not fit into the round hole of Gundam Wing.
NastyNate

I guese relena was a bad analogy but I still think it gives a civilian perspective of what is going on.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Aegis

That wasn't even a bad analogy; it's flat out wrong. :P Anyways, Saji giving the civilian perspective of the war isn't exactly news, either. Just that until season 2, he also didn't have much of a role to play beyond filling up the cast and being the victim. Now, he gets the direct perspective through CB's eyes, and not just delivering pizza either. :P
V2Buster

Aegis wrote:That wasn't even a bad analogy; it's flat out wrong. :P Anyways, Saji giving the civilian perspective of the war isn't exactly news, either. Just that until season 2, he also didn't have much of a role to play beyond filling up the cast and being the victim. Now, he gets the direct perspective through CB's eyes, and not just delivering pizza either. :P
Yeah, let's see how Saji plays into the story this season compared to being an extraneous bit player to Kinue in season 1.
quasadra

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I was merely wondering why they still kept the family name, given name format for the chinese characters only.
i say this way is more natural(i am a chinese to begin with...). some chinese name sound very funny when anglicized. like Hong Long(red dragon) if you reverse it... i guess this doesnt bother those that dont knows chinese anyway.
Last edited by quasadra on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
fala_fire

quasadra wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I was merely wondering why they still kept the family name, given name format for the chinese characters only.
i say this way is more natural(i am a chinese to begin with...). some chinese name sound very funny when anglicized. like Hong Long(red dragon) if you reverse it... i guess this doesnt bother those that dont knows chinese anyway.
Is that even his real name? I always thought it was a code name.
quasadra

yeah, it is without saying. but is there such thing as dragon red? oh wait there is a rap rock band... :shock:
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Oruma

quasadra wrote:
Not a good example, because Hong (which stands for "red") is not a Chinese surname, so no "Long Hong" or "Hong Long" here :lol:

Hong Long could be a codename, but also may be a given name or nickname.

As for only the Chinese characters getting the Surname>Given name treatment, it may be that the producers want to emphazise the fact that they're of a different ethnicity? (oh and, for the record, who is the Japanese with the given name>surname treatment?)
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

ShadowCell wrote:Except that wasn't what Relena did at all. And seriously, guys, the square peg of Gundam 00 does not fit into the round hole of Gundam Wing.
Wellll, I'd say "trying to fit the rectagular peg of 00 into the square hole of Wing" would be a better analogy. They're certainly not the same show, but there are some similarites. (not that there aren't similarities between a lot of shows out there)

But yeah, Saji isn't supposed to be a "Relena" here. If anything, I see piloting in his future. (as many people have already speculated) At the very least he's likely to join CB as a technician or crewman. Over on Animesuki, there was an Avatar designer who made a very convincing-looking Avatar of Saji in a red CB uniform standing in front of the O Riser. (iirc, that being the fighter seen in the OP with the 00) I haven't found a base-image from which the avatar could have been made so I won't say it wasn't fan-made, but it sure looks pretty darn official:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3830/saji1fp3.png
ShadowCell

It appeared in one of the MAD videos on YouTube. It's fan-made.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

ShadowCell wrote:It appeared in one of the MAD videos on YouTube. It's fan-made.
Yeah I figured, since I would have found a base image somewhere on one of the many image gallery sites I surf, if such an official picture had been made, lol. Still looks pretty good though.

And one can always hope anyway. ^^b
Marcis

In episode 3 Ribbons states that he is executing Aeolia's plan. In the way he understands it.
I am still puzzled about that Tieria-looking lady (Regina Regette?) besides Ribbons. Not quite sure about her role besides teasing him.
And where does he resides anyway? The Moon?

Ep. 3 was very impressive, using Ptoly 2 dive to create tidal wave to wash away oposition was clever. Nice to see that team is working together again, especially in that escape sequence where Al distracts GN XIII with his small beam machine-gun while Setsuna attacks from behind.
Looking forward to see what new CB Gundams can do. So far we've shown only basics which does not differ much from S1 units. Except for 00 of course. A Gundam who can destroy a Gundam. We'll see.
Applying for job at Anaheim
Sulendil Zeta

Oruma wrote: Not a good example, because Hong (which stands for "red") is not a Chinese surname, so no "Long Hong" or "Hong Long" here :lol:
Well, technically, there is a similiar surname which also called Hong (洪), which didn't mean red, but something else. That's also my surname, although since I'm Hokkien, the spelling is different, so my surname is Ang, not Hong. :)

But like all members of Celestial Beings, I think Hong Long's name is just a codename, not his real one.
Momaru

I think that Ribbons, besides the fact he doesn't want CB around, has the same eventual goal of CB of erradicating war. It's just that his way of doing things is quite different and has something to do with the innovators of course.

Speaking of the innovators, I think they are genderless. Insomuch as that they don't have reproductive organs. That'd be why they are all very androdginous. Maybe they also lack hormones that would normally cause people to be male or female as well?

Also, there were some interesting hints that there is more to Lyle than we are being told especially since he seems to already be a good MS pilot despite him swearing that he has never piloted a MS before becoming a myster.

Something else that caught my eye is how powerful the Seravee is compared to the Virtue. It seems to me that they figured out a way to draw off even more power from the GN drive than the 3rd gen. Gundams could.

Finally, Yes, I can see some similarity in Wing and 00, but it's mainly superficial. It's just the relationship and overall personalities of Maria and Setsuna bare some resebleance to Relina and Heero. However, this may change as tthe second season progresses. Also, the basic premise of "a secret organizeation armed with super powerful mecha is trying to change the world" is similar, but only in passing because of how braud this premise is. Other than that, I don't think it is fair to compare the shows in any other way. 00 truely has been a unique gundam show compared to the others especially SEED and Wing (AKA UC lite) who both can be easily compared to 0079.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
azrael

Momaru wrote: Something else that caught my eye is how powerful the Seravee is compared to the Virtue. It seems to me that they figured out a way to draw off even more power from the GN drive than the 3rd gen. Gundams could.
This should really be something for the Mecha thread.
Think of all the new Gundams as corrections to all the things they got wrong with the last set of Gundams.
Virtue was all heavy firepower. Seravee corrects that by splitting up the GN cannons, instead of 2 very large shoulder cannons. 1 GN bazooka gets split into 2 sections. With the GN Bazooka II being split into 2 parts, Seravee has a ranged weapon that doesn't require the ridiculous charging times that Virtue suffered.

Dynames sucked at short-range combat. Beam pistols are still pistols so their power output isn't as great as the sniper rifle. Cherudim's sniper rifle now coverts to a shorter-barrel rifle for non-sniping, correcting Dynames' lack of significant stopping-power in short-range combat.

And etc.
Marcis

I haven't heard pacifist yapping from Marina Ismail aside from her wish to solve conflicts peacefully so she hardly passes as Relena 2. At least i never thought about her as Relena.
And Setsuna has more sense than Heero ever had.
True, Wing were the first Gundam show i saw but somehow i never compared it to other shows. I think OO is doing just fine.
Applying for job at Anaheim
Dean_the_Young

A quick question for those who remember the end of season one.

How did Allelujah get captured by the EF, but not Tieria? Or at least, how did he get captured, but not the GN drive? From my (hazy) memory, wasn't it Tieria who ejected his GN drive, while Allelujah drifted with his own GN drive towards the remains of the Ptolemy? I don't want to call plot hole if I'm wrong, but of all the Meisters I was sure that Allelujah was the only one who had any sort of power to make it back. So I'm rather surprised he get captured as opposed to, say, Tieria or Setsuna.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Imperial

Dean_the_Young wrote:A quick question for those who remember the end of season one.

How did Allelujah get captured by the EF, but not Tieria? Or at least, how did he get captured, but not the GN drive? From my (hazy) memory, wasn't it Tieria who ejected his GN drive, while Allelujah drifted with his own GN drive towards the remains of the Ptolemy? I don't want to call plot hole if I'm wrong, but of all the Meisters I was sure that Allelujah was the only one who had any sort of power to make it back. So I'm rather surprised he get captured as opposed to, say, Tieria or Setsuna.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've been told that the 00V side story depicts the fifth Gundam Meister, Fon Spark, collecting the Kyrios's GN Drive after Allelujah ejected it.

I suppose dumping the GN Drive is standard Celestial Being protocol if you find yourself in a hopeless situation. The fact that Allelujah was found and captured seems to lend some weight to the idea, as ejecting the Drive kept it from enemy hands.
This space for rent
Destiny_Gundam

It's 00F where that happens.

Tieria was off in some remote location, as was Setsuna. In Allelujah's case, not only was he injured, physically and mentally, but Sergei and Soma made it back. It's not surprising that they could find him based on the location of their encounter. Al certainly ejected his drive, we just don't see him do it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Areku

Interestingly enough, Al sort of doomed himself to four years of imprisonment by ejecting his drive. Unless Fon Spark was willing to further damage Kyrios, he wouldn't have had a choice but to save Al instead of kicking him towards the Earth forces, unless he was willing to just leave the drive.