Rebuild of Evangelion 2: You Can [Not] Advance

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TheGoose

Rebuild of Evangelion 2: You Can [Not] Advance

HalfDemonInuyasha

FINALLY. I kept wondering how long it was gonna be before it came out...but not until SUMMER??? Oy x_x;
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Imperial

I'm a bit bummed to hear it will take so long. I was holding out the naive hope the series would be rattled off ASAP. It is GAINAX's cash cow, after all.

The silver lining lies in that it will give me plenty of time to see You Are (Not) Alone.
This space for rent
Kefkaownall

Even though Evangelion is my favorite anime (note avatar), Gainax really needs to just make these movies and end the series.
Hopefully doing a Zeta Gundam abridged and is also the god of the World of Ruin.
RedBlitz

Evangelion... let it die already it's so annoying to have it comeback every few years. It's like you keep watching and improved version of last years, after a while... just stop it!!
Imperial

RedBlitz wrote:Evangelion... let it die already it's so annoying to have it comeback every few years. It's like you keep watching and improved version of last years, after a while... just stop it!!
No one's forcing you to watch Evangelion. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Coming into this topic to complain is really counter-productive.
This space for rent
RedBlitz

I'm just voicing my opinion, people dont always have to say nice about the topics were discussing.

I used to like it Evangelion, but after like 2-3 alternate endings later... i'm meh... But yeah I guess you're right, sorry about that.
Kenji

It's really nothing new... there are three alternate endings of the original Gundam series, and those are just the ones made by Tomino. I wouldn't be surprised if people were bitching about that, back in the early 80s... and now everyone just accepts it.

I personally liked You Are (Not) Alone, and the fact that You Can (Not) Advance promises even more changes from the original story makes me even more excited. I mean, the quality of the first movie was good enough that I would've watched them if they were just high-end compilation movies, but it looks like Anno wants to do more than that.

For the record, I still think it's a sequel series...
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Chris
Administrator

Kenji wrote:It's really nothing new... there are three alternate endings of the original Gundam series, and those are just the ones made by Tomino. I wouldn't be surprised if people were bitching about that, back in the early 80s... and now everyone just accepts it.
I don't think it's a good comparison. There was a lot of excitement about Gundam in the early 80s, and it led to the creation of a large franchise. Evangelion is just the opposite - it's the same basic story with the exact same characters being tweaked over and over again every few years. Besides, Tomino only tweaked the MSG story in animated form with the movies, so the novels are an entirely different creature. But with EVA, you have the original TV series, then a few years later Death & Rebirth coming along, and now Rebuild changing things again. It's understandable that some people (myself included) are tired of seeing EVA regurgitated every few years, as there's only so much mileage you can get out of a single series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Imperial

But with EVA, you have the original TV series, then a few years later Death & Rebirth coming along, and now Rebuild changing things again. It's understandable that some people (myself included) are tired of seeing EVA regurgitated every few years, as there's only so much mileage you can get out of a single series
I'll give you Death and Rebirth, which was a glorified summation and teaser, but I don't think the rest of that really holds water.

End of Evangelion wasn an entirely different take on the last two episodes, whereas Rebuild is a completely new retelling. It's not simply a string of compilation movies. Press releases and teasers have confirmed the movies will beging to diverge quite radically in You Can (Not) Advance, even if the first one was essentially episodes one through six with swanky animation.

I don't see it as much of a "regurgitation" when entirely new material is involved.
This space for rent
Chris
Administrator

Imperial wrote:I'll give you Death and Rebirth, which was a glorified summation and teaser, but I don't think the rest of that really holds water.

End of Evangelion wasn an entirely different take on the last two episodes, whereas Rebuild is a completely new retelling. It's not simply a string of compilation movies. Press releases and teasers have confirmed the movies will beging to diverge quite radically in You Can (Not) Advance, even if the first one was essentially episodes one through six with swanky animation.

I don't see it as much of a "regurgitation" when entirely new material is involved.
Even with some new material, it's still the same basic story with the same characters. I think that qualifies perfectly as a regurgitation. If this were a franchise like Gundam or Macross, it'd have new series with new characters and stories. But it's not - it's the same basic story told in slightly different ways each time. I'll hold all judgment until Rebuild continues and gives these promised changes, but so far it hasn't done anything radically different or something that gives a new perspective on the show.
Marcis

Wondering: can we get more info on this mr. Anno vs mr. Lucas "Who can tweak more?" contest. I want to know about stakes involved and such :roll:
Applying for job at Anaheim
Kenji

Now, now, that's hardly fair... Anno's work actually improves as he messes with it. :P

(really, You Are (Not) Alone flows better than the first six episodes of the TV series, though at the cost of some fleshing out)
Chris wrote:Even with some new material, it's still the same basic story with the same characters. I think that qualifies perfectly as a regurgitation. If this were a franchise like Gundam or Macross, it'd have new series with new characters and stories. But it's not - it's the same basic story told in slightly different ways each time. I'll hold all judgment until Rebuild continues and gives these promised changes, but so far it hasn't done anything radically different or something that gives a new perspective on the show.
Some of those franchises don't really change much besides the cast and presentation, but I see what you mean.

In some ways, it'd be nice if Eva went to a new series, though it'd almost certainly have to be an AU of some sort. Then again, by avoiding this, they also avoid that minefield of making the new characters "same but different" that Gundam and Macross have to constantly deal with. I think Gainax is trying very hard not to make a new season, and not just because they can milk the original for what it's worth... I seriously think they're trying to avoid what happens to sci-fi franchises.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Chris
Administrator

Kenji wrote:In some ways, it'd be nice if Eva went to a new series, though it'd almost certainly have to be an AU of some sort. Then again, by avoiding this, they also avoid that minefield of making the new characters "same but different" that Gundam and Macross have to constantly deal with. I think Gainax is trying very hard not to make a new season, and not just because they can milk the original for what it's worth... I seriously think they're trying to avoid what happens to sci-fi franchises.
And therein lies the problem (and my complaint). EVA doesn't have enough of a story to support an entire world, which is why Gainax keeps going back to the well with the same story. They had enough story for a 26 episode series and should've left it at that. Obviously, companies are going to milk whatever is popular, but I think focusing on one 26 episode series for 13 years is overkill.
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote: Obviously, companies are going to milk whatever is popular, but I think focusing on one 26 episode series for 13 years is overkill.
Thing I'd have to say about that, is how that Eva just did have that 26 ep series + two movies. Only now years later do we get these new movies re-telling the story. That's hardly over kill. The Rebuild movies are only the 2nd tweak anyways, and it's not so much a tweak as it is going off in its own direction. And the first tweak was for obvious reasons.

Yeah, there's been tons of mangas released, but like you said regarding the Gundam novels, it's a completely different creature. And really it's just the official manga that re-tells the story. All the others are AUs, merely putting the same cast in different situations.

Eva is hardly being 'regurgitated' every few years. Plus, isn't all the attention on Eva, even so many years later, just a testament to how popular the series still is today?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
krullnar

Actually there are quite a few eva mangas that are quite different from the original for instance Angelic Days, Shinji Ikari Raising, and Project Gakuen Datenroku all take a very different approch then the original series.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Thing I'd have to say about that, is how that Eva just did have that 26 ep series + two movies. Only now years later do we get these new movies re-telling the story. That's hardly over kill. The Rebuild movies are only the 2nd tweak anyways, and it's not so much a tweak as it is going off in its own direction. And the first tweak was for obvious reasons.

Yeah, there's been tons of mangas released, but like you said regarding the Gundam novels, it's a completely different creature. And really it's just the official manga that re-tells the story. All the others are AUs, merely putting the same cast in different situations.

Eva is hardly being 'regurgitated' every few years. Plus, isn't all the attention on Eva, even so many years later, just a testament to how popular the series still is today?
Forget about the various mangas - although that's one part of it. It seems like every year there's a new DVD version of the series from Gainax or ADV, and that's part of the regurgitation. And given that this is just one TV series, I think its continued presence today merits this question: Does Gainax push it because it's popular, or is it popular because they push it?
krullnar

Well seeing as how I have 4 different versions of the complete collection and if they make a 5th then I'd most likely buy it.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Sume Gai

krullnar wrote:Well seeing as how I have 4 different versions of the complete collection and if they make a 5th then I'd most likely buy it.
ADV wants to give you a hug
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
krullnar

Well most of the anime I own is released by ADV.