The Official Code Geass Anime Thread Mk 6: The Final

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

The Official Code Geass Anime Thread Mk 6: The Final

New thread. Obviously the ending discussions will be prevalent, so beware of spoilers, all ye who enter here.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Eh, if anything I find the fact that so many people got happy endings a little irksome. I mean, if Lelouch didn't get one, why should they? Especially some of the BKs. It doesn't feel like they 'worked for their happily ever after.' Oh well. There were also too many characters missing from the epilouge. Hopefully the last picture drama will pleasently surprise us.

At the very least, the final battle between the Guren and the Lancelot paid off. One final piece of land spinner action.

So now I guess it's "All hail Empress Nunnally." Our glorious jail bait ruled world has come to fruition!
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Xanadu

I found the scene where Jeremiah and Anya picking Oranges freaking hailerious for some reason best insane last min pairing ever XD and I guess with Lelouch out of the way Milly has Kallen for herself now *hoping for OVA involving that*

Suzaku should have been Zero from the beginning ino. He would have made a much more awesome one I mean srsly he can jump Knightmares XD
Last edited by Xanadu on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

Xanadu wrote:Suzaku should have been Zero from the beginning ino. He would have made a much more awesome one I mean srsly he can jump Knightmares XD
He's got nothin on the Knightmare of Nunnally Zero.
Imperial

You're saying it like Code Geass was an epic fail.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it epic fail, but I don't hold the show in very high regard.

It started off very strong with a great first season, only to crash and burn in the second as it moved further and further away from the elements that made it worth watching in the first place. There were times it almost felt like an absurdist parody of itself. The ending proved to be surprisingly strong, but that wasn't enough to salvage an otherwise disappointing show.
This space for rent
ShadowCell

I should note now that this is going to be the last Code Geass official thread, since the show is done now. You're free to start threads on other stuff about it too, and this thread will remain open until it hits 30 pages.
Xanadu

the only things I kinda didn't like was the Nunnally all hating Lelouch and calling him evil and stuff then when Zerozaku kills him she like is crying and stuff.
What is it with Geass and characters not being able to decide on their feelings for a character? like how Lelouch was like "euphemia" all mad like that episode where she declared the admin zone of Japan and then he was like sad when she died then in r2 same with rolo about how he was all pissed with him then was depressed when he died. and kallen being one moment kissing Lelouch the next trying to kill him...
Last edited by Xanadu on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

ShadowCell wrote:I should note now that this is going to be the last Code Geass official thread, since the show is done now. You're free to start threads on other stuff about it too, and this thread will remain open until it hits 30 pages.
Removing the question mark then.

I have to agree with Imperial to an extent. I do think the first season was way better and that R2 dropped the ball somewhat. However this could be because I've seen the first season like 5 times. The more you expose yourself the something, the more you like it.
Xanadu wrote:the only things I kinda didn't like was the Nunnally all hating Lelouch and calling him evil and stuff then when Zerozaku kills him she like is crying and stuff.
She really did think he was evil, which is what Lelouch wanted. However, when she touched his hand, she got visions of Lelouch's true plan. She realised he was just acting.
RedBlitz

Re: The Official Code Geass Anime Thread Mk 6: The Final

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Eh, if anything I find the fact that so many people got happy endings a little irksome. I mean, if Lelouch didn't get one, why should they? Especially some of the BKs. It doesn't feel like they 'worked for their happily ever after.' Oh well. There were also too many characters missing from the epilouge. Hopefully the last picture drama will pleasently surprise us.

At the very least, the final battle between the Guren and the Lancelot paid off. One final piece of land spinner action.

So now I guess it's "All hail Empress Nunnally." Our glorious jail bait ruled world has come to fruition!
Well I think they earned it.. I mean Tohdoh, Ohgi and the others they fought right until the end. Sure they were played for fools by Schneizel and were a little quick to judge Lelouch but what would you have done in their place?? I think they deserved their happy ending and that fact that most of them realized Lelouch's true plan in the end, it allows me to forgive them for turning on the most badass Emperor of all time.

Empress Nunnally, never really imagined that since at the start of the series she was 87th in line to the throne but I guess Lelouch getting rid of the nobles and Schneizel pretty much killing every sibbling they had raise her rank a little. lol I was expecting Cornelia to be the 100th Empress but I guess she thought Lelouch's sister would continue on with his ideals of a united world.

Was it ever mentionned in novels or any other source how many children Charles had?? If Lelouch is the 11th Prince then that means he has quite a few older brothers, im a bit dissapointed we couldnt see a few more of those faces. Even if was just for an episode to be killed off almost instantly.
Last edited by RedBlitz on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Kavik Ryx

Xanadu wrote:the only things I kinda didn't like was the Nunnally all hating Lelouch and calling him evil and stuff then when Zerozaku kills him she like is crying and stuff.
What is it with Geass and characters not being able to decide on their feelings for a character? like how Lelouch was like "euphemia" all mad like that episode where she declared the admin zone of Japan and then he was like sad when she died then in r2 same with rolo about how he was all pissed with him then was depressed when he died. and kallen being one moment kissing Lelouch the next trying to kill him...
If a loved one of yours was a serial killer or something like that, of course you're going to hate them. But that won't stop you from ultimately crying for them when they die. Nunnally was crying for Lelouch Lamperouge, the brother she loved, not Lelouch vi Brittania, the emperor.
Areku

Kavik Ryx wrote:If a loved one of yours was a serial killer or something like that, of course you're going to hate them. But that won't stop you from ultimately crying for them when they die. Nunnally was crying for Lelouch Lamperouge, the brother she loved, not Lelouch vi Brittania, the emperor.
The way that it flashes to images of Lelouch handing Zero's helmet to Suzaku when Nunally touches his hand indicates that she saw that image, and in that instant realized she had fallen for his act of evil dictator.

And damnit, as I type this, that event looks similar to when Suzaku touched C.C. in the first season and saw mental images even though he didn't have a Geass, supposedly because he was sensitive to Geass. Does this make it more likely that Lelouch did in fact have the Code at this point, and that Nunally was sensitive to it, rendering it possible for her to glimpse into his mind? This would also have the unpleasant consequence of making Lelouch immortal.

I hope not; for Lelouch to still be alive would greatly diminish (what I perceive to be) the pure awesomeness that is the second half of this episode, which would also have the effect of invalidating the buildup to it in recent episodes, which would also greatly undermine my enjoyment of R2 in it's entirety. Like D_G said, I loved R1, and felt that R2 dropped the ball somewhat. In my mind, R2's success hinges largely on Lelouch's assassination and the buildup to it, so I'd really dislike to see it tainted by removing the tragic elements of, oh, death. For the time being, I'm choosing to interpret Nunally being able to see into Lelouch's mind as result of her closeness to her brother and the sheer power of his Geass.
Last edited by Areku on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell

The problem I had with the ending of R2 is that it felt like the show really ended in episode 21, and everything else was just the result of inertia.

In ep 21, Lelouch trapped Charles with him in the World of C. There, Charles revealed his master plan, and more importantly, answered the mystery of Marianne's death, which had been dogging Lelouch for the entire show. Charles spoke in such grandiose terms as "killing God;" his plan was to (as far as I read it) reconfigure the consciousness of the human race into one giant hive mind and create a world in which conflict would be impossible. And Lelouch stopped him. And Lelouch stopped him by Geassing God. They tied up most of the show's dangling plot threads at that point. Anya's memory mystery was explained; CC had her memories back; Kallen was free and had a kickass new Guren; Nunnally was considered dead at the time; the mysteries of Charles' plans and Marianne's death had been solved; Zero's identity was out of the bag for the Black Knights; the Black Knights had pretty much defeated Britannia and freed Japan, which was all most of its leaders really seemed to care about. The only major things I can think of that weren't addressed were CC's wish, Suzaku's rivalry with Lelouch, and Lelouch's rivalry with Schneizel. And I think they could have written those all to an end if they had decided that the events of episode 21 would constitute the finale, and given themselves more time to close everything up, placing Lelouch's confrontation with Charles at the end of the show.

Instead, they had Schneizel just kind of sit around with his thumb up his ass while Lelouch saved the world. Then started Code Geass's role reversal fetish, and Lelouch becomes Emperor of the very empire he sought to destroy. M'kay. But he already destroyed the source of his problems, he had his questions answered, and as far as we knew Nunnally was dead so his motivation was simply to destroy Charles. And naturally, Schneizel rose to oppose him. But Schneizel's plan turned out to be pretty much just Lacus Clyne minus the BS--peace enforced through unstoppable uberweapons. There was nothing on how Suzaku and Lelouch reconciled, and the other characters pretty much dwindled to nothing.

I did, however, like how Lelouch lived up to his own credo that he enunciated way back in the first episode of the first season, about those who kill having to be ready to be killed.
skyknight

Haven't posted anything on this forum for over a year,

I am quite mixed just after watching the last ep of CG R2; for me, the experience was very different from the first season.

I read a couple of anime blogs regarding the fate of Lelouch, some argue that maybe he isn't really dead if he was able to transfer his Geass power to Suzaku, and the dialog from C.C. at the end is quite interesting. But I'll stop at there.

As for everyone's ending, I agree at least everyone deserves their own bit of happiness: Kallen being able to simile again with her mom by her side, but as viewers we never know much about her big bro (a significant person to both her and Oghi), and Suzaku basically fulfill (or redeems himslef) the role that he could've been, as an upholder of righteousness and protector of Nunnally (which Lulu wanted in season 1).

I don't know if most of the gaps will be filled in by the Sketch drama and Radio drama.
Xanadu

what was mentioned about lelouch having the code does make slight sense considering the fact that orange didn't try to stop Suzaku which if Lelouch was gonna die his MOTHERFUCKING LOYALITY! would have made he stop Suzaku or at the least he would have shown some sort of emotion when lelouch got stabbed. there's also the thing that at the end C2 was talking to lelouch and i'm not sure but wasn't it said that c2 couldn't actually talk to the dead but marriane was able to talk to c2 from inside anya's body meaning it was likely lelouch was the driver. Though this seems to be contradicted by c2 and Suzaku's reactions to this.

I personally want to believe he's dead as opposed to being immortal...
Sume Gai

all in all I can say I'm satisfied with how this all ended

it was neither what I hoped for nor what I expected but still very satisfying.

Suzaku's lot is rather interesting, he is dead in all but the physical sense and he is in a place where he MUST keep going. He's shouldered with Lelouch's goals and he will have to be the one to ensure Nunnally's happiness.

All in all it's more like Suzaku is the one who really died rather than Lelouch.

I was glad to see most everyone else get a good resolution (it even seems Rivalz got his girl.)

While I would have loved to see the original direction Tanaguchi had planned I can certainly enjoy what we got.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
ShadowCell

Xanadu wrote:what was mentioned about lelouch having the code does make slight sense considering the fact that orange didn't try to stop Suzaku which if Lelouch was gonna die his ZOINKS LOYALITY! would have made he stop Suzaku or at the least he would have shown some sort of emotion when lelouch got stabbed.
Of course, as he fell, Jeremiah did say something to the effect of "Go, Masked Knight...", implying pretty strongly that he was in on the plan.

Although Suzaku vs Jeremiah would definitely be a fight to see.
Areku

ShadowCell wrote:Although Suzaku vs Jeremiah would definitely be a fight to see.
With an intervention by Sayoko part way through, to make for a hectic 3-way ninja/cyborg/??? fight.
Xanadu

Areku wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:Although Suzaku vs Jeremiah would definitely be a fight to see.
With an intervention by Sayoko part way through, to make for a hectic 3-way ninja/cyborg/??? fight.
Wasn't Sayoko in that prison thing with the others?
Btw do they ever really explain to any more then what Ceciel said that happened with Lyod and Rakshata?
AmuroNT1

The reason the ending bugs me is because so much was left hanging and unresolved. I know people will say "It's not essential to the plot, don't worry about it", but it still bothers me that things like C.C.'s name, the true nature of Geass, Suzaku's latent abilities, what exactly Charles' plan was, etc., went unresolved. Just getting an artbook or Roman Album that answers the questions doesn't cut it either, since it would feel more like an afterthought than an actual answer.

The thing that gets me is that for all intents and purposes, the primary cast got pretty crappy endings, while everyone else got to be happy. I know someone will come along and protest this, but pardon me for wanting to see my heroes get their "Happily Ever After" after being dragged through the mud for two years (or much, much more in C.C.'s case).
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
UrbanSniper

Re: The Official Code Geass Anime Thread Mk 6: The Final

Having finally watched it with subs, the ending was somewhat less of a letdown...I suppose you could say that it was pretty good, but it still doesn't sit very well with me. Too many things were left unaddressed; seemed to be awfully rushed, but I suppose that's been the way of things the last few episodes. Perhaps R2 will be like a fine wine, growing better with age...and perhaps answers to come later.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:So now I guess it's "All hail Empress Nunnally." Our glorious jail bait ruled world has come to fruition!
Ah, so true, especially with that outfit Lelouch put her in...kind of creepy when you think about it. So, I won't!
Kavik Ryx

After browsing other forums, me thinks that Lelouch is going to become the next "Amuro and Char" if you catch my drift.