New Fullmetal Alchemist Anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Teki

New Fullmetal Alchemist Anime

Post by Teki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:24 pm

SO reading recently released chapter and says on the front that will be new FMA anime coming soon (assumer spring 09, possibly after 00's run). Anyways wonder peoples opinions on it, what will be, the reaction and so forth. And while part of me wishes it took up where the anime movie left off, that seems unlikely, so probably be more similar to the manga this time as very far into it enough so won't get original part like original anime. And will be Bones again and same director from what I've read.

Neo_Senku

Post by Neo_Senku » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm not really sure what to make of this. The original series and the movie tied up that interpretation of FMA very well. I think making a series that follows the exact course of the manga would be redundant for the first 25 episodes, as most major changes happened after that. I guess we need to just wait for more information.

----------------
Now playing: Nas - Halftime
via FoxyTunes
Last edited by Neo_Senku on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:17 pm

The adventures of the Elric brothers are are over I'd say. Their story has been told to perfect completion. If the new series were to follow them, I'd say it would chronicle their lives in 'our world' as they track down that bomb thingy mentioned in the movie.

However that might be kinda boring without all the Alchemy and stuff.

So what I think this new series will be is a completely new story with new characters (perhaps some returning ones) that takes place in the same world with the same rules. It'll just be the story of a new alchemist and their adventures.

Whatever it is, I'm more interested in another season to Darker than Black! Make it happen Bones!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."

Wingnut

Re: New Fullmetal Alchemist Anime

Post by Wingnut » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Teki wrote:SO reading recently released chapter and says on the front that will be new FMA anime coming soon.
Chapter of what? We need a source of this info here.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

J-Lead

Re: New Fullmetal Alchemist Anime

Post by J-Lead » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Wingnut wrote:
Teki wrote:SO reading recently released chapter and says on the front that will be new FMA anime coming soon.
Chapter of what? We need a source of this info here.
ANN should cover it.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."

Teki

Post by Teki » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:53 pm

lol surprised didn't notice it on ANN as that is weeks old. I was reading the most recent FMA manga chapter, btw.

Antares

Post by Antares » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:06 am

Considering that I thought Shambala was quite horridly rushed, disjointed and clearly presented as a movie rolled out to get some additional mileage, I am feeling a bit vary. Sure some of the FMA universe still dealt with and elaborated on but in style that felt so out of sync with the series. I am inclined to hope they would leave FMA be. Of course, if it turns out to be excellent, which is always possible, I suppose I have to buy those DVDs too. :P
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.

rx87

Post by rx87 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 am

The new fullmetal alchemist could answer some questions like why does energy form our world power alchemy in thier world.

One Big Hullabaloo

Post by One Big Hullabaloo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:40 pm

rx87 wrote:The new fullmetal alchemist could answer some questions like why does energy form our world power alchemy in thier world.
It doesn't. I won't spoil anything, but you should start reading the FMA manga. It is great and the new anime will likely follow it much more closely then the original.

Alternatively, assuming that it does follow the manga very closely, you may want to wait for the new FMA.

Brave Fencer Kirby

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:16 pm

I wonder what you're basing the conclusion that the new anime will be much closer to the manga on, given that as far as I know the ONLY information available about the new anime is that there IS a new anime...
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

Zero Revenge

Post by Zero Revenge » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:50 pm

As long as Roy Mustang makes a return i'll watch it.

Battosai28

Post by Battosai28 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:19 am

Hmm, I agree that such a lack of information can only lead to wild asumptions, but this is very intersesting to hear. I really enjoyed the world of fullmetal alchemist and would not be oposed to seeing another young alchemist start his journey. Perhaps the setting will be one of the other countries that are mentioned throughout the series, but never actually shown (I haven't read the manga, so I can't comment on it). I think it would be interesting to see the story tie in later with Ed and Al trying to find the bomb thing from the movie.

Anyways, I hope for good things with this series.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!

Nagato21

Post by Nagato21 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 am

Zero Revenge wrote:As long as Roy Mustang makes a return i'll watch it.
The Flame Alchemist is my favorite as well :lol: .
Is this really a good idea to make a new FMA serie?
Although the manga is still running the anime storyline was nicely done and it had a good ending. Of course Conqueror of Shamballa left an impression of a continuation.
Unless they decide to create an alternate serie like Hellsing Ultimate that will follow the manga story closely, I don't think I will stomach the Elric brothers return after the awesome Lollapaluza madness that happened previously.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!

Charismatic Enigma

Post by Charismatic Enigma » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:46 pm

From what I've heard, it'll follow the manga closer this time and include more about the war in Ishbal/Ishval.
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.

Enact

Post by Enact » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Am I the only one who doens't really see much of a point to this? I mean, They originally made the decison to adapt the manga when only 3 or 4 volumes were out, and make the rest original material (Which I felt was superior to the source in terms of depth but that is another topic for another time), so why go back now and make it closer to the manga after all that, espically all the acclaim it got? Seems kinda backwards, in the sense that if this is what they wanted, they should have waited.
Daybreak's Bell rings over the land covered in Ash Like Snow

Dark Duel

Post by Dark Duel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:48 pm

There's only one point to this I can see, and in the long run it's the only one that matters to the ones that make the decision: TO MAKE MONEY.
Because there's always gonna be people who'll buy it simply because it's FMA, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Having said that, I'm just a little curious...I'll wait until we know more for certain.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

Chris
Administrator

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Enact wrote:Am I the only one who doens't really see much of a point to this? I mean, They originally made the decison to adapt the manga when only 3 or 4 volumes were out, and make the rest original material (Which I felt was superior to the source in terms of depth but that is another topic for another time), so why go back now and make it closer to the manga after all that, espically all the acclaim it got? Seems kinda backwards, in the sense that if this is what they wanted, they should have waited.
The thing you have to understand is that the way anime adaptations of manga used to be done is no longer the case. Before, it was average to wait at least two or three years before starting the anime, as was the case with One Piece and Naruto. However, Japanese companies want to seize on any new manga's popularity and maximize that immediately rather than wait a few years. This is why FMA got such an early adaptation, as did D.Gray-man. In both those series, doing early adaptations means going in an original direction or doing lots of filler, but obviously the companies don't care so long as the show/manga is popular.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

Red XIV

Post by Red XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Hmm. I didn't realize there'd been that much of a gap between the start of the Naruto manga and the anime adaptation, but I looked it up and it's true. I'd been assuming that adaptation had been started a lot sooner than the Dragon Ball adaptation had, hence the enormous number of filler episodes, but that's not the case at all. Did Toriyama just produce new chapters more slowly than Kishimoto is now?

Then again, DB/DBZ it did have filler content added to non-filler episodes, so maybe that's why it didn't have any 2-year-long stretches of filler.
"I think most of us were lead astray via the Hazel family tree that hinted the TR-6 came from the Hazels...when in fact it's an amalgam of all TTT mecha...and a rabbit." - Deus EpS Machina

Destiny_Gundam

Post by Destiny_Gundam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:51 pm

I really don't think that they'll reboot the series and retell it all from the beginning, being more faithful to the manga. This isn't Hellsing. The first anime did really well, there's no reason for them to go back and redo it.

I'm sure it'll be an original story with the same setting.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."

Enact

Post by Enact » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Chris wrote:The thing you have to understand is that the way anime adaptations of manga used to be done is no longer the case. Before, it was average to wait at least two or three years before starting the anime, as was the case with One Piece and Naruto. However, Japanese companies want to seize on any new manga's popularity and maximize that immediately rather than wait a few years. This is why FMA got such an early adaptation, as did D.Gray-man. In both those series, doing early adaptations means going in an original direction or doing lots of filler, but obviously the companies don't care so long as the show/manga is popular.
I understand that, but the fact is that, as Destiny Gundam said, the first anime did really well so there is no reason to go back and tell a more "faithful" version. It's sorta like if Gundam Unicorn were to be animated: as awesome as that would be, it makes the fact that it started out as a novel seem kinda stupid. The FMA manga I hear is almost over anyway, so wouldn't it be better to just let them both go to rest and be their own seperate entities?
Daybreak's Bell rings over the land covered in Ash Like Snow