Ohtagakiyosuo suddenly tweets about TB not being canon

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
MythSearcher

Ohtagakiyosuo suddenly tweets about TB not being canon

https://twitter.com/ohtagakiyasuo/statu ... I3Ys4P-FPQ

Doesn't even use UC, but Gundam.
I guess he doesn't even consider TB to be anything canon at all. Well, to somebody who just playfully add whatever he likes in a series, I doubt he has the concept to staying true to canon.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Ohtagakiyosuo suddenly tweets about TB not being canon

今更ですが、ガンダム正史とサンダーボルト世界線(漫画版)は別物ですので御了承下さい
"Please note that the Gundam official history and the Thunderbolt world line (manga version) are different".

I'll take "Embarrassingly obvious statements" for 100, Alex.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

Since he talk about manga version, the statement doesn't change anything.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:45 am Since he talk about manga version, the statement doesn't change anything.
Well, the anime is already deemed alternate UC and not canon in Narrative and Hathaway materials, so while it is pretty obvious, the manga was not officially announced as non-canon before this post.(but simply don't have any chance of being canon as the story deviates too much from canon, especially they are now having Zeta era MS not long after OYW and is already mass producing Mk-IIs)
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:11 am so while it is pretty obvious,
Yup, that's my point. It's so obvious that nobody with three digits IQ should be surprised, thus it doesn't change anything.

I mean, by Sunrise's policy, manga's events is automatically overrided in term of officialness the moment they release animate version. So it doesn't make any aense to think that the would be canon despite the anime's murky status in continuity.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deacon Blues

It's amusing that people think that the artist tweeting out that his depiction is "something different" has any sort of meaning to it. What he stated in that tweet is not at all different from an interview that he gave back in 2014. He can claim that the moon is made of cheese in his story, but it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Everyone is latching onto it like he's invalidating any sort of officialness to his rendition. Spoiler, he's not.

Just because he's the creator of something, doesn't mean he has the final say on anything. It was the same story with Tomino's claims about G-Reco and Turn A. Sunrise still overruled what he said.

The fact that the fandom has to have "one true continuity" is absolutely idiotic.

Oh, and before you go ahead and try and respond, Myth. Do yourself a favor and don't.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:41 am It's amusing that people think that the artist tweeting out that his depiction is "something different" has any sort of meaning to it. What he stated in that tweet is not at all different from an interview that he gave back in 2014. He can claim that the moon is made of cheese in his story, but it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Everyone is latching onto it like he's invalidating any sort of officialness to his rendition. Spoiler, he's not.

Just because he's the creator of something, doesn't mean he has the final say on anything. It was the same story with Tomino's claims about G-Reco and Turn A. Sunrise still overruled what he said.

The fact that the fandom has to have "one true continuity" is absolutely idiotic.

Oh, and before you go ahead and try and respond, Myth. Do yourself a favor and don't.
His tweet is simply a "I didn't make the manga to be an official history", which can mean either there is an official history or not, just that his story isn't.

I love your attitude that you try to make a comment and ask others to not reply.
Shows how you are living in your own world enough.

In this case, Sunrise's "overruling" is just as clear that TB is alternate of something you don't want to admit and adhere to, even when multiple sources published says so and contradicts your view and you still try to use those as your source, insisting it meant otherwise. We did this else where, and I told you to save your breathe at the time, you didn't. So I guess you won't listen and somehow think that I will. Yes, do yourself a favour and don't. If you can do that, both of us will be more happy, instead of making a sour post here just because a mangaka said something contradicting your world view.

I posted this not because I want to prove anything, I posted this because he suddenly made such a tweet and is funny that he made it all of a sudden, so long after the serialisation of the story. You don't have to jump into it and try to make your point.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:42 pm His tweet is simply a "I didn't make the manga to be an official history", which can mean either there is an official history or not, just that his story isn't.
That's... not quite what he said.

What he actually said is that the Gundam Thunderbolt manga's "world line" (continuity, setting) is different from the official history in Gundam('s Universal Century).

Nothing about his intention when creating it or its official canonicity. Just a simple, straightforward statement that the history and events depicted in the Gundam Thunderbolt manga do not align with Sunrise's official UC setting.

Let's not be putting words in his mouth... or since it's typed, on his fingertips?

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:42 pm In this case, Sunrise's "overruling" is just as clear that TB is alternate of something you don't want to admit and adhere to, even when multiple sources published says so and contradicts your view and you still try to use those as your source, insisting it meant otherwise.
He's not actually wrong in terms of what it'd mean if Sunrise decides Thunderbolt belongs on the official timeline for the Universal Century... because they own Gundam, Sunrise has The Last Word on what's official and what's not and what's part of the official setting. If they decide Thunderbolt is part of the official UC setting then that's that and no word from the original mangaka will change it. ESPECALLY after Sunrise has already done their own adaptation of it on their own terms.

AFAIK, there's not a centralization of creative control over the franchise in Gundam the way other franchises have, so at the very least they're going to avoid dueling Creator Viewpoints on the matter.

Deacon Blues wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:41 am The fact that the fandom has to have "one true continuity" is absolutely idiotic.
Eh... regardless of your individual feelings on it, it's something that content creators have indulged in for ages because it drives sales. Audiences naturally/organically look for continuity in related stories because it's natural behavior to search for patterns in the world around us. When you have multiple works in the same fictional setting, the continuity that joins them together can drive audiences to pursue stories they wouldn't otherwise have looked for and can be used by strong installments to prop up sales of weaker ones.

TL;DR: Content creators encourage that behavior in fans because it's good for business... and most long-runners have a One True Official Continuity of some kind simply as a way to keep things organized as the plot marches on.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I loved the first season of Gundam Thunderbolt but I felt that the entire South Seas Alliance plot got crazy and out of hand. It would have made sense to make them a small faction similar in size to Zeon Remnant groups like Delaz or Cima. I did really like how the leader is a Newtype that was experimented or belonged to the Federation and he went rogue or something (haven't read the manga or watched the anime in a long time)

If you read the manga up until the Battle of A Boa Qu everything can fit perfectly in the Gundam sunrise timeline but once the war is over and the South Seas Alliance shows up nothing adds up. Of course the writer of the manga wrote this knowing it would not fit in and of course sunrise allowed him to do this. We have so many AU gundam shows why not make an AU universal century show.

I do love Thunderbolt because thanks to that manga I found out about the writer and read his past works like Moonlight Mile and Front Mission Dog Days (two of my favorite manga)
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

Okay really not trying to start a big argument or anything, but what exactly is the biggest reason for Gundam Thunderbolt not fitting in to the regular timeline? I'll admit the story is kinda unfocused (after they got to Earth they spent a LONG time running around with the South Sea Alliance before actually fighting them), but is the issue the stories scope (Ie the South Sea's Alliance taking over a much larger portion of Asia than could be possible given the previous stories set there and the lack of interaction? Or is it the overdone tech level( everything is much more overpowered than FG)?

Personally I agree with tHeWasTeDYouTh in that it's the scope that goes over the tech level. A lot of Gundam stories (even official spin off OVA's) introduce much more powerful technology then was previously shown, and retconning the amount of Gundams and when the Federation started mass producing MS (Look at 0080,08th MS Team, 0083 and especially Unicorn for overpowered tech earlier in the timeline).

Meanwhile despite all the retcons Gundam OYW side stories have always just been Federation and Zeon, introducing a new ultra powerful faction out of nowhere that rivals both is kinda stretching retcons.

Does anyone think the story could have fit better if the South Sea Alliance was a smaller more fringe group (like the freedom movements in ZZ, or the independent colonies in Victory)?
Underrated GM Custom

I figured he made that tweet since some of the more recent Thunderbolt stuff has deviated quite a bit when they started moving into the Zeta era. Mass produced MK-IIs, as well as the Zeta, Hyaku Shiki and Nemo being developed and produced several years before 0087. Plus there's also the Fleming corporation that has a much bigger role in the story, seems like Ohtagaki is having fun putting his own twist on his version of UC.
Mafty

Are there any profiles of these mechs out there? I've only read as far as has been published in English, so I haven't gotten that far yet. I agree with GM Custom in that Ohtagaki uses an Alternate Universe for more freedom to add what he wants to the storyline. That being said if some thing's in the story were slightly different it could fit more neatly into the timeline(Less space occupied by the South Sea's Alliance, less extreme tech level, maybe a time skip of a few years as more advanced tech makes sense in the Stardust Memory and Advance of Zeta period).
Underrated GM Custom

I'm not sure if any of Thunderbolts newer stuff is different enough to warrant a profile, as opposed to the MK-II-2 (MK II squared?) from ZG Define. From what I've seen of the more recent Thunderbolt scans they all look like their Zeta equivalents so far but that might change as the manga progresses.