The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

That being said, I don't think we even have any idea of the release date yet, do we?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:23 am That being said, I don't think we even have any idea of the release date yet, do we?
Beginning with SEED, every Gundam series has premiered in October, with the exception of the original Build Divers series, which started in April. All pre-SEED series started in April, so either of those two months would logically be the range to expect.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Good to know, thanks.
So based on what PowerdGNFlag mentioned, if we don't start seeing more information around February, it's a pretty safe bet to assume an October release date then?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Yeah, if we don't hear anything indicating an April broadcast, by historical pattern the next time to look out for would be late June/early July leading up to an October broadcast.
SonicSP

Is it possible for the pandemic to have disrupted that pattern though? I'm sure production schedules would have some disruption these almost two years. Especially if the episode count turns out to be one cour (very unlikely historically but always a possibility) than the usual two or four.
Chris
Administrator

Sure, that's possible, but it's not like TV anime production has ground to a complete halt. Japan also hasn't been affected by COVID to the extent that other large countries have, so it seems like the industry has found a way to adjust to the pandemic.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

You guys think we will ever get a Gundam series that has the scope of Star Wars. Instead of being set in the Solar System the series has multiple planets and space battles. I guess something close to Legend of Galactic Heroes. It seems everything is set in Earth and what more stories can you make with the same conflict Earth vs colonies
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

With Gundam series who knows? though I hope Witch from Mercury has that as a premise. There are other Sunrise shows that have real robot battles on a galactic level. Heavy Metal L-Gaim is centered around battles across a fictional solar system, as is Armored Trooper Votoms. L-Gaim as a series probably visits more planets than Votoms does, though side story OVA's greatly expand the scope as well. I guess the closest we have so far is Iron Blooded Orphans, but even that is confined to our solar system.
PowerdGNFlag

Official site just updated with an October 2022 release date; additionally we now know that it will air Sundays at 5 PM on MBS/TBS.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Glad to see it's got a release date. I think the last Gundam show in that timeslot was IBO.
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:13 pm Glad to see it's got a release date. I think the last Gundam show in that timeslot was IBO.
More like the last anime in that timeslot period. MBS even had a PV made for this announcement and how big of a deal this is.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Is that an unusual time slot? I thought Code Geass & 00 were in that timeslot but I could be misremembering.
SonicSP

00 and Code Geass R2 were in that slot. Code Geass Season 1 was late night as it was a more niche show targeting an older audience.

IBO and AGE also had it so not unusual for Gundam.
Mafty

Yes according to other data Code Geass Seaon 1 aired at 1:25 am on Fridays after being moved from a pre planned Thursday evening slot which was supposed to appeal "To Everyone", thus the first season saw changes for a more adult late night crowd. Despite its late timeslot it still became extremely popular, which is why the second season moved to the Sunday evening slot. Near as I can see the time slot seems to be particularly desired for an anime to air at; in fact looking closer, a lot of anime appears to air on Sunday.
Kyuzo Aoi

I wonder why people are talking about female protagonist MCs in Gundam in G-Witch like they never existed. At least not existing in full television anime anyway (see 0080, Twilight Axis which are OVAs and ONAs). I guess because they want Gundam to be refreshed, but I personally apprehensive of the Western fandom's longing for a female MC, because just because they have a female MC doesn't mean it has to be good. But there are many good female MCs in previous Mecha series before and many have been handled well, some are not.

But then, the main target of Gundam series is really males, so they need a male MC that identifies with them.

I personally think that just because the title is "Witch" doesn't translate to female MC. The actual Gundam pilot could be a male after all, but the operator was originally the heroine or the titular witch; alternately, it can be the Gundam that is the "Witch". But Sunrise could prove us wrong and give us a TV female protagonist Gundam pilot after all.

And also if many fans may have apprehensions in having a female lead Gundam pilot, I think adapting Gundam Burai Manga in TV which has a male protagonist would also be a sort of compensation for them, but alas, we had to wait for G-Witch's run to end.
I am a Gundam!
branman88

I always got the feeling that "The Witch from Mercury" was referring to the main mobile suit.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
Mafty

Agreed it could be the "Witch" Gundam, it's really not that much of a stretch considering the array of naming conventions we've seen so far, or it could even be a unit name (ie, the Circe Unit from Gundam Hathaway). That being said having a female lead would be kind an interesting change (ie, Asuna from Ecole du Ciel).
SonicSP

If it is a nickname for the MS, it would be interesting because it also implies it has a feminine visual design, as opposed to neutral or male like most MS.
Mafty

It would be neat to have a visually different Gundam design, Like Mikimoto's design of the Le Cygne, or most of the Gundam Frames from IBO. Even something that looks kinda a witch in mecha design ( Like Aoi said it doesn't even need to be called witch, if Amuro's Gundam is the White Devil, then the new Gundam could be the Witch from Mercury).