The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Chris wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:58 pmAlso, it's not like TLJ was some rogue production. Lucasfilm approved of his script and let him do what he wanted, so they obviously didn't have a problem with his approach then.
Yes I agree, Chris. Not an unapproved rogue more like someone who wanted to take it in a very different than Abrams' feel and treatment. I don't think Abram's trilogy treatment would necessarily be better either, but more that it existed and potentially might have a more consistent and planned feel.

This is where I agree with what Seto said earlier about lack of vision with the actual final movies, they certainly was lacking a Kevin Feige or George Lucas/his team type figure to steer the direction of the trilogy with the route they taken.
Henyo

ANN has a review of the 2nd delta movie

long story short:

Overall : B+
Story : B+
Animation : B+
Art : B+
Music : A
+ Strong focus on Freyja's character arc, satisfying climax to Delta's story, lots of callbacks to Macross history
− Villains don't get much development

Ah poor poor Mirage. even her Grand papa steals screen time from her. good thing i mostly, slightly invested in the Walkure's character designs and not much else. Delta has the forgettable dog fighting scenes in the franchise. i remember more VF scenes from MAcross II for ProtoDevln's sake.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Mafty

Delta probably had the worst battle scenes in the franchise; they were either too short or unmemorable, (SPOILERS) even the finale shows only a brief glimpse of a massive explosion that set off the war. Which is really a shame because Delta had some amazing mechs, particularly Windermere with their glowing Neon jets. As for Macross II; taken on its own is a good enough story, Also the battles (and mechs) are awesome, plus they are surprisingly frequent.

Still according to the ANN review the second movie does actually seem to have better battles and more development for SOME of the characters. Plus Big West has announced that this movie actually will get an international release.
Dark Duel

I literally cannot remember any of the dogfights in Delta except for a very vague recollection that one time Hayate launched in Messer's fighter after his own was shot to scrap, and his opponent threw a hissy fit over it.

Come to think of it, I can't really remember much of Delta in general except that and the one instance in the first or second episode of Hayate boarding a VF-171 and breakdancing with it.
And I think a couple of VF-1s turned up at one point(some kind of training exercise, I think?).

I suppose I could rewatch it...
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

I haven't watched the movies but I really did enjoy Delta TV series save the ending. Definitely on my Top 3 Macross entries, probably even Top 2.
Dark Duel

I'm going to ask what's probably a stupid question and one that's been answered in this thread, but I cannot seem to find it. So I gotta ask about the green VF-31AX in this image marked Delta 6(immediately underneath Mirage's). Who the heck is the pilot?

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

From what I've read, it's Bogue. If you look at the fighter mode, you can see the Aerial Knights crest.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Huh. Started rewatching the series out of curiosity, and out of that lot, I honestly would've pegged him as the least likely to ever be willing to work with Delta Squad.
Guess the movie must be changing stuff there.

Thanks.

Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:44 am Overall : B+
Story : B+
Animation : B+
Art : B+
Music : A
+ Strong focus on Freyja's character arc, satisfying climax to Delta's story, lots of callbacks to Macross history
− Villains don't get much development
Considering the quality of the writing in Delta, I suspect someone is being EXTREMELY generous there.

Dark Duel wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:46 pm I literally cannot remember any of the dogfights in Delta except for a very vague recollection that one time Hayate launched in Messer's fighter after his own was shot to scrap, and his opponent threw a hissy fit over it.
Vaporized by a (friendly) thermonuclear reaction warhead, actually... but point taken.

Most of the battle scenes in the series were pretty forgettable, mainly because the choreography constituted exactly one maneuver: "the scissors".

Dark Duel wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:46 pm Come to think of it, I can't really remember much of Delta in general except that and the one instance in the first or second episode of Hayate boarding a VF-171 and breakdancing with it.
That was the first episode.

Dark Duel wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:46 pm And I think a couple of VF-1s turned up at one point(some kind of training exercise, I think?).
Yeah, Hayate's final exam for trying to join Delta Flight.

Dark Duel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:42 pm Huh. Started rewatching the series out of curiosity, and out of that lot, I honestly would've pegged him as the least likely to ever be willing to work with Delta Squad.
Guess the movie must be changing stuff there.
The first movie doesn't change Bogue's characterization at all... he's the most hateful member of the Knights, and for a good reason given that...
Spoiler
... his entire family were killed by Hayate's father when he dropped that dimensional warhead on Carlisle.
It looks like he's the new White Knight of Derwent by the time of the second movie, which only goes to show the word "white" has been taken increasingly liberally ever since Lord Aldoria was killed in the Black Storm in 2060.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Dark Duel

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 pm The first movie doesn't change Bogue's characterization at all... he's the most hateful member of the Knights, and for a good reason given that...
Spoiler
... his entire family were killed by Hayate's father when he dropped that dimensional warhead on Carlisle.
That just makes him ending up in Delta Squad in movie 2 every more baffling.

False Prophet

Do you think the second Delta movie will have a lot of implications for future installments? I mean, the thing with Megaroad-1 aside, what about AI? Would the government put down even heavier policing to shut down anyone trying to create their own Sharon Apple?
Seto Kaiba

Dark Duel wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:01 pm That just makes him ending up in Delta Squad in movie 2 every more baffling.
I know, right?

Bogue Con-vaart was far and away the most vocal Aerial Knight when it came to hating humans, the New UN Gov't, the members of Tactical Sound Unit Walkure, and ESPECIALLY Freyja. The second movie had better have a fantastically good explanation for Bogue is now chummy with Hayate and Freyja. Especially since Bogue was all gung-ho to have Freyja executed for treason and beat the everloving crap out of Hayate simply because of who he's related to.

False Prophet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 pm Do you think the second Delta movie will have a lot of implications for future installments? I mean, the thing with Megaroad-1 aside, what about AI? Would the government put down even heavier policing to shut down anyone trying to create their own Sharon Apple?
I have a feeling the second movie's events are going to be quietly swept under the rug by future works.

Creating a self-aware virtuoid is already illegal and carries severe penalties. I'm not sure how much more illegal the New UN Government can make it, since Heimdall is a rogue paramilitary organization whose existence is probably already at least slightly criminal.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:27 pm I have a feeling the second movie's events are going to be quietly swept under the rug by future works.

Creating a self-aware virtuoid is already illegal and carries severe penalties. I'm not sure how much more illegal the New UN Government can make it, since Heimdall is a rogue paramilitary organization whose existence is probably already at least slightly criminal.
You're probably right, but I still have to wonder how widely disseminated throughout the galaxy are the techs to create AI. Like, how many people have the resources and expertise to produce the bio-neural chips?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:32 pm You're probably right, but I still have to wonder how widely disseminated throughout the galaxy are the techs to create AI. Like, how many people have the resources and expertise to produce the bio-neural chips?
So... "AI" covers a really broad spectrum of technologies in the Macross universe just as it does in the real world.

You'll find various types of AI technology in personal electronics, management of public utilities, and all manner of other automation-friendly environments. The military uses a broad spectrum of AI technologies to oversee sensitive systems aboard ships and VFs, supervisory AIs to oversee clusters of systems, to do sensor fusion, to manage the body motions of humanoid mecha, etc. etc.

Only a few very specific branches of AI technology are restricted or banned. The first mentioned being bio-neural chips that can be used to create "smart" AIs with true unpredictable responses because they tend to evolve self-preservation instincts that can cause them to behave like standard sci-fi crazy computers. Self-aware virtuoids were banned due to the Sharon Apple incident because they demonstrated a capability to violently turn on their handlers and with the right programming and hardware were capable of hypnotizing people. Lastly, fully autonomous air combat AIs for unmanned fighters were restricted nearly as heavily as thermonuclear reaction weapons for humanitarian reasons, though they are allowed to be used in certain extreme scenarios and are still being actively researched by companies like LAI looking to overcome the "cold, unfeeling, unrelenting murder machine" aspect of them that got them restricted by outfitting them with simulated human personalities.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

I've read that there is also a short Frontier movie "Labyrinth of Time" released alongside second Delta movie.
https://macross.fandom.com/wiki/Macross ... th_of_Time
Seto, do you have any knowledge what it is about?
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:05 am I've read that there is also a short Frontier movie "Labyrinth of Time" released alongside second Delta movie.
https://macross.fandom.com/wiki/Macross ... th_of_Time
Seto, do you have any knowledge what it is about?
As I was unfortunately not able to travel to Japan to see the double-feature, I can only relate what I've heard about the story secondhand. (I do miss being able to get my geek on internationally on someone else's dime... business travel's not so bad when you can use it to enhance your hobbies.)

What has been related to me about its story is that it's set several years after the events of Macross Frontier's 2nd movie, and features a grown-up Ranka Lee as the main character.
Spoiler
It subverts the happy epilogue implied by the character art books for the previous Frontier films. Sheryl is still in a coma, and Alto is still missing. Ranka is touring the ruins of the ancient Protoculture's civilization and singing there while reflecting on the past.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Oh, so it's just a small side piece, like Flashback 2012. Thanks Seto!
Also on FB I've read this (all those funny party icons came from the text, i did not change a thing):

We have exciting news today!
Music from the Macross series will be available worldwide* from November 21!🎉🎉🎉
You’ll be able to listen to 543 songs (!!) from 1992’s Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II to the latest MacrossΔ movie recently released in Japan!
*Except Mainland China

▼You can find a special Macross playlist here!
https://jvcmusic.lnk.to/macross_world

And here are playlists from two members of Walküre!
▼MikumoΔJUNNA’s Best Selection
https://jvcmusic.lnk.to/JUNNA_macross

▼FreyjaΔMinori Suzuki’s Best Selection
https://jvcmusic.lnk.to/Minori_macross

Release date & time: 0:00 on November 21, 2021 (JST)
Countries: Worldwide (with the exception of mainland China)
Services:
▷Download
- iTunes Store
▷Streaming
- Apple Music
- Amazon Music Unlimited
- Spotify
- YouTube Music

©2015 BIGWEST/MACROSS DELTA PROJECT
#macross #マクロス #macrossplus #マクロスプラス #macross7 #マクロス7 #macrosszero #マクロスゼロ #macrossfrontier #マクロスf #マクロスフロンティア #macrossdelta #マクロスデルタ #Walküre #ワルキューレ #YamiQray #streaming
Last edited by pirx on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pirx

I checked Spotify and yes:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4y3Lt ... f425d&nd=1
I guess this is the first fruit of Macross being freed from HG licensing grasp.
Last edited by pirx on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seto Kaiba

Yup, it's showing up on YouTube Music now too.

Life is goooooooood.
The Macross Mecha Manual