Space Pirates?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Space Pirates?

Post by Mafty » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 pm

So between Crossbone and Gundam Age, What are everyone thoughts? Which did it better? It does seem like the Bisidan in Gundam Age are added because there will likely never be a Crossbone Anime, and Age basically put everything people like about Gundam in a blender.

I admit that Gundam Age has its problems but I feel that they had the best use of the pirates in the story(these middle ground rebel unit) and had the best pirate mech designs(the Crossbone mechs aside from the Gundams get kinda weird).

Kuruni

Re: Space Pirates?

Post by Kuruni » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 pm

Except they aren't pirates. They call themselves one but are more of Straw Hat than Somali. Heck, Bisidians even go full treasure hunting after the war.
My girlfriend was a loli.

MythSearcher

Post by MythSearcher » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:52 am

Kuruni wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Except they aren't pirates. They call themselves one but are more of Straw Hat than Somali. Heck, Bisidians even go full treasure hunting after the war.
I never watched Captain Harlock, but is that what the adventurer type more than actual pirate type?
If that is so, Harlock will likely be the original "pirate in name only" show.

Also, Chinese Ming dynasty once had a law about anyone living within a certain distance from the coast are all pirates(about 50km) or a less strict version is that people cannot set sail privately(and those violating the ban are deemed pirates.) Yes, think about all the affected fisherman and sailors, and if you silverline those, you kinda get the "pirate in name only" sailors that do not plunder.(IRL there likely none of them are that innocent once the ban was in force since they would have lost the way to make a living and thus forced to be actual pirates)

pirx

Post by pirx » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:21 am

Space Pirate Sara :mrgreen:

Mafty

Post by Mafty » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:58 am

Well to be fair most Pirates in fiction are the romanticized in name only type (except Pirates of The Caribbean, sort of). Pirates in real life both in the past and present are/were considerably more ruthless. Really both Crossbone and Bisidan are resistance movements(wait where does Bisidan get it's funding from...) which (for some reason) have a Pirate theme. I don't know how many other Space Pirates there were outside of Captain Harlock before Crossbone(though Harlock seems like mabey the gensis for that idea) and Crossbone seems to be the genesis for the AGE pirates.

MythSearcher

Post by MythSearcher » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 pm

Mafty wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:58 am
I don't know how many other Space Pirates there were outside of Captain Harlock before Crossbone(though Harlock seems like mabey the gensis for that idea) and Crossbone seems to be the genesis for the AGE pirates.
There's Cima fleet, which is really pirating until EF made the trade.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:18 am

Mafty wrote:
(wait where does Bisidan get it's funding from...)
Well, all of their MS are provided by Madorna Workshop (including tge post-war Rogue Bat).
Mafty wrote:
I don't know how many other Space Pirates there were outside of Captain Harlock before Crossbone(though Harlock seems like mabey the gensis for that idea) and Crossbone seems to be the genesis for the AGE pirates.
Funny, after watching SD Gundam World Heroes episode 3 the last night, I suspect that there might be some truly villainous pirates in SD works. I'm aware that Bloody Zaku fashionef himself as Captain Bloody in SD Gundam Last World, although I've no idea how much of a pirate he was.
My girlfriend was a loli.

Mafty

Post by Mafty » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:13 pm

I'd forgotten about Cima, her forces are pirates in the true sense of the word(they even have "Marine" Gegloog's). Though Harlock really seems to be the truer genesis of Crossbone and AGE; the pirates are romanticized, and the ships and mech units have more of a pirate/nautical theme to them(unlike the Cima fleet), also Captain Ash and Harlock look quite similar.

Sandraux06

Post by Sandraux06 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:24 am

Mafty wrote:
Well to be fair most Pirates in fiction are the romanticized in name only type (except Pirates of The Caribbean, sort of). Pirates in real life both in the past and present are/were considerably more ruthless. Really both Crossbone and Bisidan are resistance movements(wait where does Bisidan get it's funding from...) déménageur Le Havre which (for some reason) have a Pirate theme. I don't know how many other Space Pirates there were outside of Captain Harlock before Crossbone(though Harlock seems like mabey the gensis for that idea) and Crossbone seems to be the genesis for the AGE pirates.
But, that was before, and the situation has completely changed I think.