Kira attending military prep school?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
False Prophet

Kira attending military prep school?

Since Gundam Seed is available again on GundamInfo, I've been rewatching the series. I noticed that in episode 4, Athrun said to Rau that he met Kira while attending a military prep school on the Moon. Is this a mistranslation, since I can't imagine Kira's parents letting him attending a military prep school. Secondly, shouldn't had Athrun attended a ZAFT's military prep school in some colony, while Kira was an Orb citizen?

Or, could it be that Athrun actually attended a military prep school on the moon, while Kira just happened to live close to the campus? I hope anyone who know Japanese can look into this. Here is the scene in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyEUd1nvkNk&t=13m10s
Mafty

Re: Kira attending military prep school?

I really don't know Japanese well enough to translate if the subtitles were off, but it does seem to contradict the earlier story material. In the first episode we see Kira and Athrun talking beneath Sakura petals as kids; Kira is wearing a futuristic Gakuran ,while Athrun is in a quasi military uniform (it almost looks like a scout uniform). So I'd guess that Kira and Athrun were neighbors but not classmates. I'd agree that Caridad and Harmua wouldn't send Kira to a military academy, also it's unlikely that any Coordinator student at a Military Prep school would be allowed to leave as war was breaking out(especially one so powerful as Kira turned out to be).

To be fair some parts of the SEED mythos are rather confusing particularly character backstory wise. Like Kira/Athrun meeting, why Athrun was living (possibly) alone in a lunar city as a preteen, or even where/why Kira ended up where he did(he was born on earth, then moved to the moon, then to Heliopolis).
False Prophet

Mafty wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:35 pm I really don't know Japanese well enough to translate if the subtitles were off, but it does seem to contradict the earlier story material. In the first episode we see Kira and Athrun talking beneath Sakura petals as kids; Kira is wearing a futuristic Gakuran ,while Athrun is in a quasi military uniform (it almost looks like a scout uniform). So I'd guess that Kira and Athrun were neighbors but not classmates. I'd agree that Caridad and Harmua wouldn't send Kira to a military academy, also it's unlikely that any Coordinator student at a Military Prep school would be allowed to leave as war was breaking out(especially one so powerful as Kira turned out to be).

To be fair some parts of the SEED mythos are rather confusing particularly character backstory wise. Like Kira/Athrun meeting, why Athrun was living (possibly) alone in a lunar city as a preteen, or even where/why Kira ended up where he did(he was born on earth, then moved to the moon, then to Heliopolis).
Did Athrun really live alone on the moon? For a rich family like the Zala's, I always think that they would've sent their son to a boarding prep school. And about Kira's moving away many times, I feel like his adopted mother is a bit paranoid (as she should) and would rather Kira stay away as far as possible from any conflict that could open up the possibility of his talent being exposed.
Seto Kaiba

... that's definitely a dodgy translation.

Kira and Athrun met at Copernicus in CE61. They were SIX. YEARS. OLD. It was primary school.

They went to school together there until CE68 when Athrun went back to the PLANTs and Kira went to Heliopolis at age 13 and didn't see each other again until CE70.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...