The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8

yazi88
OMG Doomsday Laser

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Post by yazi88 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm

I think its more like HG only has power in the US compared to EU and Asia... Big West just had to fight them for the IP in EU....

Henyo
Elitist Earth Politician

Post by Henyo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:36 pm
So... back on Tuesday (5 Nov), Big West scored another legal victory over Harmony Gold USA.

The European Union Intellectual Property Office officially awarded ownership of the Macross trademarks in the European Union market to Big West, over Harmony Gold's objections.
any links to give there comrade? i want to share this with the Mecha group im in back on FB(if they haven't already caught wind of it)
also, ya guys have any good way to convince a dood who thinks that Harmony Gold has any say if a Macross can get in any SRW game? already tried to to inform of what i understood of the license situation.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!

yazi88
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by yazi88 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am

I don't think Harmony Gold has any authority to prevent Macross from being in SRW games, since those are JP made games.

I also don't think they can prevent any Macross included SRW game being made in English to come out in Asia either. Delta seems likely to come out in the near future for SRW given that SRW usually waits a couple of years after a show is done to be put in a regular SRW game (not including the gacha game, Cross Omega for that list)

Seto Kaiba
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Post by Seto Kaiba » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm

DragoMaster009 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm
So Harmony Gold's running out of time on the anime front, if things like this keep up?
Something like that.

The short-term implications for Harmony Gold aren't very big, but this marks another erosion of the value of that license renewal to Macross's original series that Harmony Gold paid through the nose for. Eventually, they'll reach the point where their diminishing ability to keep from having to directly compete with Macross on an even playing field and the continuing decline of the Robotech fanbase will price the renewal of that license to Super Dimension Fortress Macross out of their reach... or at least out of their ability to cost-justify it.

Harmony Gold was REALLY counting on growing its brand in the PRC, since it's kind of outlived its novelty in much of the rest of the world. News that Big West had shot down their trademarks there and struck a licensing deal to distribute ALL of Macross except the original series must've hurt like a half-brick to the head.

yazi88 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm
I think its more like HG only has power in the US compared to EU and Asia... Big West just had to fight them for the IP in EU....
Pretty much. The way US trademark laws are written, they greatly favor Harmony Gold because they favor the first user of a mark in the market over the actual owner of the property. Outside the US, Harmony Gold is in a much worse situation since trademark law in most of the rest of the world favor's the property's owner instead.

HG might have an advantage in South America... if only anyone actually legitimately bought their sh*t there. If you thought China was #1 in copyright infringement, think again. Studies conducted on internet usage down in South America have suggested more than half of the 223 million internet users in South America engage in video, audio, and multimedia piracy and a fair percentage of them even pirate their local cable TV.

However, with the all-important markets for things like theatrical films being the US, UK, China, Japan, and Western Europe... well, you can see where Harmony Gold might feel the noose is tightening around their necks. They could never sell in Japan, and their grip on the UK, China, and Western Europe is breaking.

Henyo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am
any links to give there comrade? i want to share this with the Mecha group im in back on FB(if they haven't already caught wind of it)
I was just sent a copy of the opposition hearing doc B002959008 by e-mail. It's written in Italian too, so it's not all that helpful unless you've got someone to translate. One of the more annoying parts about government patent and trademark office websites is that they're often set up so that you can't direct-link search results. Why, I don't know...

Henyo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am
also, ya guys have any good way to convince a dood who thinks that Harmony Gold has any say if a Macross can get in any SRW game? already tried to to inform of what i understood of the license situation.
Super Robot Wars games usually aren't sold outside Japan, IIRC, due to the complicated licensing problems involved in having so many titles crossing over with each other. HG doesn't really get a say in what goes on in a Japanese game, because they have no rights to anything in Japan. Even the company they license from, Tatsunoko Production, doesn't have the domestic (JDM) merchandising rights to any Macross title.

If it were being sold internationally, then HG could have a post-facto say by threatening to sue for infringement of their exclusive (outside-Japan) merchandising rights to the original Macross series and DYRL, but none of the others.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...