Ep. 125A: 2017 Year in Review

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 125A: 2017 Year in Review

Chaos Theater Ep. 125A - "2017 Year in Review"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 239 mins, 30 sec. (3:59:30) 109.64 MB

Special Guest Host(s): Soul Bro Ryu, Neo Lorrnoke, Colette Bennett, Magen Cubed, Austin Blake, Kevin Ondarza, Dale Rausch, Dollow Rlance, Cristian Alvernaz

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:02:00

02. Discussion: "Year in Review - Neo Lorrnoke & Soul Bro Ryu"
Runtime: 0:02:31 - 0:59:45

03. Discussion: "Year in Review - Dale Rausch & Dollow Rlance"
Runtime: 1:00:12 - 1:35:12

04. Discussion: "Year in Review - Colette Bennett & Magen Cubed"
Runtime: 1:35:42 - 2:31:09

05. Discussion: "Year in Review - Austin Blake & Kevin Ondarza"
Runtime: 2:31:43 - 3:31:30

06. Discussion: "Year in Review - Cristian Alvernaz"
Runtime: 3:32:07 - 3:57:23

07. Outro
Runtime: 3:57:14 - 3:58:45

The final episode of Chaos Theater has arrived, but it's not quite the end yet. Our original plan for the episode kept growing and growing, resulting in a split into "A" and "B" parts. In this "A" part, we discuss 2017 highlights in games, comics, movies, TV shows and music with many of our past guest hosts, including: Soul Bro Ryu, Neo Lorrnoke, Colette Bennett, Magen Cubed, Austin Blake, Kevin Ondarza, Dale Rausch, Dollow Rlance, Cristian Alvernaz. Next time, our "B" part will close things out with a more conventional episode.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"mrsaturn" from GAME CHOPS Volume II by DJ Cutman
”TRON Legacy (End Titles)” from TRON Legacy by Daft Punk
”Last Goodbye” from UNDERTALE by Toby Fox
”The Beach, 7AM” from Oxenfree by scntfc
”The Departure” from Gattaca by Michael Nyman
”Love Conservative” from Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann by Taku Iwasaki
“An End, Once And For All” from Mass Effect 3 by Clint Mansell & Sam Hulick
”Everlong” from The Colour and the Shape by Foo Fighters

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes - Google Play
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 125A: 2017 Year in Review

The last episode but divided into 2 parts... I am both excited by this and also sad that this is going to come to an end soon for Chaos Theater...
Kaioshin Sama

Re: Ep. 125A: 2017 Year in Review

Sad to see this podcast is ending though not surprised given the way online fandoms have just kind of been trending lately and how it just simply isn't pleasant anymore and you can't just expect people to interact in good faith anymore online. Admittedly I've sort of found myself long since moving on from the online anime/game/nerd communities (I figured I'd check in here at years end though just to see what's up) I used to frequent and chat up as the generations noticeably turn over they just succumb to their own version of all the tribal us. vs them politicization of everything that's sweeping across the greater American landscape these days. I always liked how Chris, Pedro, Adam and the gang just kind of remained normal, well adjusted and sober throughout it all as a rare source of casual non-dramatic chit chat about the hobbies I liked (and some that I still enjoy like video games and such) that I could just sink my teeth into and it's a shame that it's starting to feel like it's among the last times I'll ever experience such a thing from the internet at large.

I get the sense I sort of get why the gang chose now to call it a wrap. As a sort of personal example, while it's far from the central focus of this podcast (and a large reason I stuck with it while I've stopped listening to Gundamn) I just haven't been able to get into virtually any anime in years at this point outside of Dragon Ball Super and the occasional Netflix sponsored thing like Castlevania or BLAME! and I don't think it's just because I'm growing older so much as it isn't even remotely aiming for the same sort of thing anymore. I've felt it all become far far too commercialized more than ever before this decade as a result of the exploitative production committee system that no other medium I know of uses anything even remotely like and IMO stifles actual creativity, imagination, and creative types, and lastly noticeably more and more in the 2010's as a medium it feels overwhelmingly oriented toward a specific stock of socially disaffected youth living a shut-in NEET lifestyle in Japan to the point where most apparently popular anime is an active turnoff to someone with a full time job and something resembling a social life which is apparently a bad thing now or something. I feel like I can also convey this thought in a place like this without somebody for whatever reason taking it personally and like some sort of indictment of them so much as just an opinion not to be threatened by and it's kind of hard to get that from anywhere nowadays high or low traffic.

Anyway it seems like exactly the right time to call it quits for this type of podcast even if it's just as likely for personal and lack of free time related reasons as I can just feel the era sort of moving beyond our generations style of low drama sober commentary in a lot of ways the past few years especially and like there's just not enough demand anymore for a casual podcast by fellow Gen-X people in their mid to late 30's anymore so much as the big loud asshole extreme views type of punditry.