Ep. 057: Agents of SHIELD

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 057: Agents of SHIELD

Chaos Theater Ep. 057 - "Agents of SHIELD"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 135 mins, 49 sec. (2:15:49) 62.18 MB

Special Guest Host: Magen Cubed (Opening and Agents of SHIELD)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:22:20

02. Discussion: "Agents of SHIELD"
Runtime: 0:22:52 - 1:36:38

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:37:12 - 2:12:51

We're jumping into the Marvel Cinematic Universe again in this latest episode. Special guest Magen Cubed joins us as we discuss the pilot episode of Marvel's new TV series, Agents of SHIELD. We also discuss the newest Marvel One Shot, Agent Carter, along with recent news about Phase 2 and speculation about Phase 3. We then wrap up with our Audible recommendations and your questions from the Mailbag. Next time, we're heading into space to discuss The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"S.t.a.r.S" from Gurren-Lagann Kirameki Yoko Box by Marina Inoue
"Libera Me From Hell" from Gurren-Lagann by Taku Iwasaki

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
sakurangel

Re: Ep. 057: Agents of SHIELD

nice i cant wait to hear u guys opinions on agents of SHIELDS i love fhe pilot and find a good amount of geeks references
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
xaos

I liked this episode guys. I agree with you about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and I guess you guys liked what happened at the end of the latest episode. Also agree about a Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel movie. I really want to see her on the big screen. Don't agree with you on Dragon Ball Battle of Gods though.

I hadn't thought about it but it is something else, that Wonder Woman still hasn't gotten a movie yet. Is there even a rumble of a movie that stars only her? :|
Dark Duel

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is AWESOME. Period.
I have seen both episodes to have aired so far, and both are awesome.

@xaos: Nope, haven't ever heard anything about a WW movie. The question I would ask is, who could they cast in that role? I honestly can't think of anyone.

Personally, I want to see a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie. Those two were my favorites of the Avengers.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
jcncasval76

xaos wrote:I liked this episode guys. I agree with you about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and I guess you guys liked what happened at the end of the latest episode. Also agree about a Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel movie. I really want to see her on the big screen. Don't agree with you on Dragon Ball Battle of Gods though.

I hadn't thought about it but it is something else, that Wonder Woman still hasn't gotten a movie yet. Is there even a rumble of a movie that stars only her? :|
I'll be looking forward to what's to come with MCU in the near future. As for Wonder Woman, there were supposedly some rumbling about it with Megan Fox, but that got axed.

One thing about why DC entertainment hasn't gotten anything going at all, it should be common knowledge for those who are pro-wrestling fan-dom (I know, it's sort of off-topic, but it's the parent company that had a lousy reputation that I had to make), it's Time f***ing Warner, they had f***ed up World Championship Wrestling, and why would anyone be that surprised with the lack of connection between Justice League characters in the DCCU when they essentially CHOKED WCW in the 1990s? I have noticed that trend before, and even though we have Batman villains appeared in Arrow on CW, there is still a continental RIFT with the creative direction between DC Comics and Time Warner itself, and until they get their acts together, this trend WILL GET WORSE!!!
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Blackbeltsam

...Man, you guys are missing out if you haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising. Seriously.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
Mu La Flaga

Ok where to begin,
Agents of SHIELD, I've seen 2 episodes, I'm willing to stick it out and see how this series goes.
It's kind of interesting :P
Was a good discussion also on the movies, Magen sounds a little opionated on opinions of females which I thought towards Pepper was maybe a tad unfair, Jane Foster I could see.
Her beef with the idea of using Ultron sounds almost kind of like something a 616 Marvel supporting person would say, but it makes sense as Chris has said before such as in episode 50.
The MCU aint 616 and Tony has a big hand in a lot of the tech elements of the universe.

On future movies, I feel simillarly, BUT, I want to see Rhodey be War Machine and maybe a solo run.
Like perhaps he does a stint as Iron Man, gets pissed off by Tony, takes his suit and takes off, leads in to that.
There was a whole period in the 90s he was Iron Man in his War Machine armor, runing the company ect.

Also I think it's relevant that apparently Marvel have planned for some heroes to show up in Agents of SHIELD.
Shall be interesting.

Finally I can't expand much on what I said for the Saints Row mailbag entry.
Scribblenauts I sort of get how Pedro feels on that, the games can still be fun though.

That's all I got though.
Wellman

Honestly, I can't believe that we won't see a Dr. Strange movie before Avengers 3.
Blackbeltsam wrote:...Man, you guys are missing out if you haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising. Seriously.
Absolutely agree, one of the best of the many great 3DS games.
Chavelo

Not a fan of Agents of Shield. The hyper fan girl with leet hacking skills just felt so, well, cheesy. And then they name dropped every possible way to go super in one go and it just felt cheap. Aside from the actor that plays Coulson, the rest of the cast just seemed kinda boring. The "cool" guy who doesn't want to be there. The agent that no longer wants to do field work and is apparently well known. The two scientists made me think of the Pacific Rim scientists. Not a bad thing though. I just hope they don't get used often "deus ex machina" of the show for fixing things.

I mean it could still get better. But I'll just wait till a whole season goes by before trying to watch again.

Anyways. Loved the your show. Really enjoyed the banter between all of you. Keep up the good work!
phillosmaster

I actually liked the way the new Iron Man story ended (The secret Origin of Tony Stark story). In the middle I was right there rolling my eyes with Magen, but the ending steers us to a good place and I actually liked the twist (I know that also is a polorizing topic). Howard Stark's recorded message at the end in particular I thought was compelling and sold the story arc.

For those who don't care about comic spoilers
Spoiler
The Secret Origin of Tony Stark is about Howard Sark and his wife trying to have a child, but are unsuccessful. An alien robot offers to engineer a solution and help Howard and his wife have a baby. The baby was engineered to be a tech genius and is destined to pilot the Godkiller suit. The alien comes back and tries to make Tony pilot the suit. Tony can't pilot the suit. The alien goes apeshit and kills himself basically. At the end it's explained that Howard Stark discovered the alien programming in his child and tampered with it. The tampering did affect the programming, but also negatively affected the child health. Turns out the child wasn't Tony, but a boy named Arno. Tony was instead adopted by the Starks as a baby to replace Arno (who they hid from the alien robot). Big change, but not as big a change as Tony was engineered to be a genuis (where before he was always portrayed as a champion for regular humanity). Tony being adopted really doesn't change much as Howard's recording said in so many words. Tony is still his son and Howard still loves him. The name Arno itself is a reference to Iron Man 2020.
I'll be happy to see Tony return to earth. I think he worked better there. He didn't really fit in the new GOTG stories (whose merit is a whole other discussion. I'm leaning toward luke warm on the title and I was an old fan of the book).

As for Agents Of Shield they need to do something to kickstart this series. The episodes have been okay, but nothing is really grabbing me. I'm willing to stick it out because I know it sometimes takes a while for a series to find it's legs.

Their unwillingness to really explore the Marvel universe so far is dissapointing. I think every fan was thinking the same thing when they pitched this TV series. Great! Now we can see some street level Marvel stuff. With each episode it seems like that idea is less and less likely. The series seems more interested in creating it's own stable of characters. I'm okay with that, but five episodes in and I'm not in love with the series yet.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
The Fowl Sorcerous

I haven't been folow AoS too closely lately (two or three episodes behind), but it seems like 60 percent of the bitching online is that it wasn't the 'cameos, easter eggs and backdoor pilots hour' they wanted it to be and cannot adjust to a genre-flavoured procedural show that is attached ramora-like the shark of the MCU.

I hope the show finds own legs developing a myth arc and maybe establishing the characters beyond Techno, babble and three other guys who can only function as a team after a sufficient amount of Clark Gregg mugging.

With regards to the flying car: flying cars a re hella cool, but how much did it really add to the episode?
[[lorem ipsum]]
phillosmaster

The flying car is always around. It's one of the tools in Phil's toolbox. Though he hasn't made it fly since the first episode so far. I'm pretty sure he makes it fly just to impress Skye in that episode.

Episode 6 was really good. Skye's story started annoyingly, but she's being humbled now (So I'm optimistic that they'll turn her around). Fitz and Simmons had a really good episode. I'm hoping for spotlights for Ward and May soon.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
phillosmaster

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disn ... ries_event

So here is where you'll see all the marvel street level stuff. This is why this stuff isn't appearing in Agents of Shield it appears. The popular wishlist for AoS all seem to be in this list: Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Daredevil... I'm happy about this announcement.