Ep. 056: Man of Steel & The Wolverine

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 056: Man of Steel & The Wolverine

Chaos Theater Ep. 056 - "Man of Steel & The Wolverine"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 175 mins, 34 sec. (2:55:34) 80.37 MB

Special Guest Host: Peter Laliberte (Opening, Man of Steel and The Wolverine)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:27:54

02. Discussion: "Man of Steel"
Runtime: 0:28:30 - 1:25:10

03. Discussion: "The Wolverine"
Runtime: 1:25:43 - 2:02:15

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:02:48 - 2:51:09

It's time for a DC and Marvel bonus feature, with bonus bad audio (we blame Peter). After catching up on what we've been doing, we get into a discussion about Zack Snyder's 2013 Superman reboot Man of Steel, followed by discussion about the future of DC's cinematic universe. Then we switch to the Marvel side to discuss James Mangold's new film, The Wolverine. We wrap up with Audible recommendations and your Mailbag questions. Next time, we're going back to the Marvel well to discuss the premiere of the TV series Agents of SHIELD.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"The Impresario (Opera Sequence)" from Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin by Jake Kaufman & Tommy Pedrini
"Stone Drum (Cyan)" from Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin by Jake Kaufman & Tommy Pedrini
"Aggressive Blue Magic (Strago)" from Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin by Jake Kaufman & Tommy Pedrini

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 056: Man of Steel & The Wolverine

So I have two real complaints for Man of Steel.
1. the action scenes needed some moments to breathe. the last act of Avengers has just as much punching and splosions but after a long sequence will stop for second, usually for a physical comedy bit at the expense of an Asgardian.
2. right before the final throw-down Zod gives a speech that basically lays out his entire character motivation. This should have been his defence at his trial on Krypton. It makes it all fit together.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Destiny_Gundam

Ha! Chris's audio still had problems in the mailbag segment! So it wasn't entirely my fault!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
sakurangel

it see why the audio problems.... chris name IRON MAN3 and not MAN IN A CAN 3... why the way chris, did you said steel samurai in stead of silver samurai?....

And poor peter sempai-bear of fhe north having some problems in his driving learning. Are you sure was the other driver fault? orvare you been using the "Pedobear first morning drive" bump sticker? thanks for the good ep andvthe endiv ranthing can be a sacred cow after dawm
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
zero_the_masked_knight

Yes, Sakura Angel's right. The Iron Man Curse has struck again :)

I also found the whole thing between Logan and Jean in the movie creepy. In the previous movies, Jean's relationship was with Scott. Losing her in X2 didn't affect Logan the way it did Scott. The whole thing about Logan having dreams about her made him seem like a stalker in my eyes. At the same time though, I thought it was an interesting character flaw; it stopped him from turning into an out and out Gary Stu.

Was Yukio's power always on? I always thought that it was more of a random thing, that it turned on and off at certain times. It's been a while since the movie though, so my memory might be hazy.

I've only seen part of MOS (the beggining), and, honestly, I didn't have a problem with Jor-el fighting. The shootout he had with Zod actually was rather interesting, and it made me curious to see how the movie would pan out.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
sakurangel

Holy cral zero.. u discover my true indenfity, now i need a new nick XD...
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
Mu La Flaga

Ok so, Man of Steel and Wolverine.
Time to hit them up, I've sort of already said my thoughts on Man of Steel in a previous mailbag entry.
But I will sort of continue on with those thoughts here.
Man of Steel overall I thought was pretty good, Chris is right it's good it doesn't stick to the old Donner movies rule's of doing things.
There were some interesting moments and some that weren't but, I do like how they set this up.
I think it fairs better overall then Superman Returns, I just don't get how some people hate on this movie so much.
Probably because of how Zodd was punked and Superman shouldn't kill or stuff like that.

The Wolverine I will say this.
It's better then X-Men Origins Wolverine, sorry Pedro I can't agree with that movie being better.
This movie is an improvement.
It did feel like a sidestory but at the same time, it is based off a story ark for Wolverine in the comics.
And it does give him a chance to develop.

I wasn't Ishida the old man would end up being the villain, because in the original story, it was his daughter who turned out to be as evil.
But it did kind of seem obvious after a point in the movie.
Also how on Earth did Fox get Lady Viper?, hopefully if they ever need to use her it's not an issue in future.
Also when Wolverine lost his adamantium claws, I expected the bone claws.
I think this also gives some closure to the Wolverine and Jean angle of things, even though as noted it doesn't accross the same as the comics.

So I rather enjoyed both movies overall.

As for funny GIFs in the mailbag segment, well got an idea of my favs.
Hopefully also you guys eventually get to the 3DS little Mii games.
But I didn't realise back when I got them it would be slow going through some of them, lol.
I enjoy them mostly except for the garden one, always feels like a chore, just like real gardening.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbeltsam

Now I'm glad I haven't seen either movie
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
hotlimit

Congrats to Peter on the new job!

I haven't seen either of these films, though I was sort of interested in Man of Steel. I'm not a Superman fan in the slightest, let alone a DC fan, but you'd think with all the fancy effects they have these days they could make a serious spectacle - and it sounds like they did.

Sorry to hear Wolverine was mediocre (or downright terrible in Pedro's case?), and I totally agree that a PG-13 Wolverine movie just can't work. As my brother (a huge Wolverine fan) said years ago - "They'll never make a Wolverine videogame because they couldn't sell something with that much violence in it". Obviously he didn't know how crazy games would get, but his point stuck.