Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Bald Wizard

Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Chaos Theater Ep. 053 - "The Films of Philip K. Dick"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 150 mins, 22 sec. (2:30:22) 68.84 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:21:49

02. Discussion: "The Films of Philip K. Dick"
Runtime: 0:22:10 - 2:19:14

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:19:38 - 2:27:50

It's time to return to the dystopian futures envisioned by Philip K. Dick. After catching up on what we've been doing, we get into an in-depth discussion of several Dick stories and the movies they inspired, including Total Recall, Screamers, Impostor, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly, Next and The Adjustment Bureau. We then wrap up with our Audible recommendations and a quick voicemail. Next time, it's a creature double feature as we tackle the anime series Requiem from the Darkness along with Pixar's latest, Monsters University.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Bones McCoy (Akira Yamaoka Mix)" from The Scythian Steppes: Seven #Sworcery Songs Localized for Japan by Jim Guthrie
"The Prettiest Weed (Decasségui Hip - *'s Ambition Mix)" from The Scythian Steppes: Seven #Sworcery Songs Localized for Japan by Jim Guthrie

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

YokozunaBulldozer
Elitist Earth Politician

Re: Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 am

After listening to this, the recent Total Recall film now feels like a dubstep remix of a glam rock arrangement of a classic 60s song the babyboomers used to dance to. I still like certain parts of the recent film, but not a lot has changed from the 80's adaptation.

On a side note, I hope they come out with an adaptation of The Zap Gun one of these days.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

hotlimit
Creepy Bishonen

Re: Ep. 053: The Films of Philip K. Dick

Post by hotlimit » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Wow, being exposed to this much Dick made me realize how strongly his works influenced Hideo Kojima. I'm sure everyone is aware of the connection between Snatcher and Electric Sheep/Blade Runner, but just hearing snippets of plot from this episode has me convinced that A Scanner Darkly + Total Recall + Lethal Weapon = Policenauts. I wouldn't recommend the game, but I don't doubt there are some Dick references I missed when I went through it.