Ep. 051: Studio Ghibli & E3

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 051: Studio Ghibli & E3

Chaos Theater Ep. 051 - "Studio Ghibli & E3"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 193 mins, 40 sec. (3:13:40) 88.66 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:14:54

02. Discussion: "Studio Ghibli"
Runtime: 0:15:28 - 2:07:34

03. Discussion: "E3 2013"
Runtime: 2:08:10 - 3:08:12

04. Outro: "Audible recommendations" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 3:08:50 - 3:12:58

We're dipping back into the Studio Ghibli well in this latest episode. This time we're covering all of the non-Hayao Miyazaki films, including Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, The Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbors the Yamadas, The Cat Returns, Tales from Earthsea, Arrietty and From Up on Poppy Hill. After that we discuss the results of E3, including new console announcements. Please note this segment was recorded before Microsoft announced policy changes regarding the Xbox One. We wrap up with Audible recommendations, but there's no Mailbag this time. Next time, we're back to shorter episodes as we hop onto the Grid to discuss TRON.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Phoenix Wright - Objection!" from Cadenza by Magical Trick Society
"Cross Examination - Allegro" from Cadenza by Magical Trick Society
"Pursuit - Cornered" from Cadenza by Magical Trick Society

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jabman025

Re: Ep. 051: Studio Ghibli & E3

Tron you say...
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
jcncasval76

With regards to video games rights, even for someone who only have a handful of PC games that is rarely played, may I be blunt by saying that I'm smelling a huge class lawsuit filed against Microsoft for ownership on games that is already owned by customers.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
yazi88

To be honest I really haven't seen much Xbox One fanboyism before the whole reversal thing. Even now people are kind of cautious with it.
Berserker 8

I've been predominately Xbox 360 this current generation and I also felt the Xbox One policies were anti consumer, pro developer. What I think hurt microsoft was they kept saying heres a 24 hour check and no used games but they never showed what the benefit is to the consumer. By going digital is there a steam model in place or not.

Also even after the reversal I'm pretty hesitant about the Xbox because they were cornered into that decision because of per order numbers and not outraged gamers. The PS+ really looks appealing with the instant free game library. Even with xbox's version they are giving halo 3 and AC 2 which have since each had 3 or more sequels come out since then and are games that aren't expected to sell again at retail cause they are so saturated and it feels like an insult in comparison to ps+.
Amuro, Char, Spike, and Lelouch just have to be alive, they are alive right? , right... ?
bertman4

I see you recommended a couple of Shaekspeare's for audiobooks. I just saw Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing. Be sure to go watch it. It's not without it's problems but overall the film was really enjoyable. And Amy Acker was fantastic.
Chris
Administrator

bertman4 wrote:I see you recommended a couple of Shaekspeare's for audiobooks. I just saw Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing. Be sure to go watch it. It's not without it's problems but overall the film was really enjoyable. And Amy Acker was fantastic.
As a devoted Whedonite, I saw it opening weekend. What problems do you think it had?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
sakurangel

Probably I will the only, and not even the general is this ice heart... but I don't cry watching grave of the fireflies. I admit to fill sad for them but not cry even ones I neater the english dub, japanese dub or heck the spanish dub... I have no soul I admitted
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
bertman4

Speaking of Ghibli films, can you name the characters?
http://kotaku.com/thats-a-lot-of-studio ... -669585463
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I also play all my games on the xbox 360 but microsoft has gone full retard so I will be buying a PS4

I have not bought a Sony console since the original Playstation
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Destiny_Gundam

Grave of the Fireflies didn't have that much an impact on me since I could tell how blatantly manipulative it is. Sage's review pretty much covers it.

As for Metal Gear Solid 5, I still don't think Big Boss is the one we'll be actually playing as. I know Metal Gear's story is basically built on retcons, but I think making Big Boss and Miller amputees are a bit much. In that first trailer there's a 3rd person in the operating room who I think might be acting as some sort of body double. There's definitely more than meets the eye, here.

Even if there isn't, I don't particularly mind that they replaced Hayter.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
bertman4

Chris wrote:
bertman4 wrote:I see you recommended a couple of Shaekspeare's for audiobooks. I just saw Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing. Be sure to go watch it. It's not without it's problems but overall the film was really enjoyable. And Amy Acker was fantastic.
As a devoted Whedonite, I saw it opening weekend. What problems do you think it had?
I can think of two major and one minor.
Major one, transposing to the modern era had some issues. There are 16th century sensibilities that just does not do well. Right after the rejection of Hero by Caludio, Leonato's line is just awful. In period, it's understandable. In modern, telling your daughter that you will kill her if she is not a virgin is just crap. It jarred me out of the movie.
Major two, the over the top physical comedy by Benedick just did not work for me. I even had some problem with Beatrice but at least that was a little more subtle.
Minor one, not sure black and white was the right choice. I understand why they did it but I think clever use of color medium could have added to the film.
phillosmaster

I saw Grave Of The Fireflies when it aired on the old Sci Fi channel anime block. Watched it with my mother and brother and it still tears us up.

It was mentioned that most US war movies glorify war. I would say that's true of WWII, and the war of independence. Most other US wars are not remembered so fondly.

Though if you want to see a good example of WWII from the US prospective that shows the barbarism of war then the recent HBO series The Pacific does a reasonably good job of showing that from the US soldier's perspective. It was based on first hand accounts instead of some writers interpretation of war.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.