Ep. 024: The Films of Christopher Nolan

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 024: The Films of Christopher Nolan

Chaos Theater Ep. 024 - "The Films of Christopher Nolan"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 141 mins, 10 sec. (2:21:10) 64.7 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:14:14

02. Discussion: "The Films of Christopher Nolan"
Runtime: 0:14:51 - 1:40:57

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:41:37 - 2:19:40

Chaos Theater is back and ready to go backward while going forward. After catching up on what we've been doing, we go into an in-depth discussion of Christopher Nolan's films, including Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige and Inception. If you noticed that the Batman films are missing, that's because we intend to discuss them separately following the release of The Dark Knight Rises. After that, we discuss our Audible recommendations and answer your voicemail and Mailbag questions. Next time, we dive into the bizarre gonzo journalism story featured in the pages of Warren Ellis' comic Transmetropolitan!

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Dream is Collapsing" from Inception by Hans Zimmer
"Dream Within a Dream" from Inception by Hans Zimmer

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Ep. 024: The Films of Christopher Nolan

I've seen Inception and Memento but the other 3 I haven't but might after listening to you guys about it.
Mu La Flaga

Ok, so for the Christoher Nolan movies, I can't say too much.
I've heard of Memento not seen it, Inception I plan to.
I will add a note on Insomnia, I had an idea of Robin Williams' range of doing the dark dangerous brooding type since I saw him do an an episode in Law and Order SVU, so it's nice to know another role outside of his comedy stuff.
It's funny to note on hium further more he is in to the Zelda games at least, since his daughter has that name.

As for the mailbag answer to movies, well I'm going to see Ghost Rider 2, tomorrow.
And as for Spiderman reboot I have doubts on it if you seen the look for the Lizard that came out?
Not to mention I just don't feel the lead Andrew Garfield, I have a bad feeling about this reboot, I've said this to a friend who is in to Marvel also and he agrees with me.
Although if Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies had continued, we would have supposedly had Felica Hardy as the Vultress or some nonsense like that, so maybe it was best it got killed off when it did.

That is all I've got and thanks for answering the voicemail guys.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

You have a good Hedonism-bot impression, Chris. One of my favorite characters from Futurama.

I remember seeing Inception with all of my sisters. It got a little overhyped, and I left the theater not really impressed. The movie explained itself really well and tied up most everything, so it didn't really feel open-ended. The visuals were impressive, but not all so shocking because, you know, we've all been watching anime for years. My little sister and I were already really big Paprika fans at that point. But yeah, a good movie by all standards. (That letter Kon left behind was terribly tragic.)

I thought Robin Williams was great in Insomnia. Did you ever see him star in The Final Cut? Wonderful, wonderful film. (Watch out, though, 'cause Jesus is out to get you in that film.)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hotlimit

I don't typically watch movies, but I did happen to walk in on my friends watching the very end of The Prestige. It was probably one of the creepiest things I'd ever seen. It was like, "Oh, what's this movie about?" "Magicians." "Oh that's neat.... WTF OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Shinigam_Newtype

Chris, in the Inception portion of the show, you complained that the characters of the movie would mispronounce Saito's name, Americansing the pronounciation I believe.
However, you're doing exactly the same when pronouncing Marion Cotillard's name. It's pronounced "co-ti-yar" not "co-ti-lard"
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
kayone73

For fans of Inception, Chris and otherwise who've already seen the movie, this video is pretty interesting, a guy named Kyle Johnson is promoting his book 'The Philosophy of Inception' and in his talk he basically summarizes the point of his book, which includes the multilayered symbolism he thinks Nolan is trying to express in the film, as well as what he (the author) thinks is the true meaning behind the ending scene of the movie and his chain of logic leading to that conclusion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginQNMiRu2w

One thing I wish you guys mentioned about Inception is one of the coolest elements IMHO. You touched upon the fantastic score, but the real mind f*** is how the central song that is a running motif throughout the film, Edith Pilaf's 'Non, je ne regrette rien' is played at various speeds to correspond to which 'dream level' the movie is taking place, and speeding up or slowing down the song appropriately to match 'dilated time'. Also nearly every bit of Hans Zimmer's score has taken fragments or phrases from that very song.

Also Marion Cotillard played Edith Pilaf in the biopic 'La Vie en Rose'
Chris
Administrator

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:Chris, in the Inception portion of the show, you complained that the characters of the movie would mispronounce Saito's name, Americansing the pronounciation I believe.
However, you're doing exactly the same when pronouncing Marion Cotillard's name. It's pronounced "co-ti-yar" not "co-ti-lard"
Point taken, but at least I'm not in a major movie saying a name wrong repeatedly. 8)
Arbiter GUNDAM

Chris, the problem with your plan is that a kid and a crazy, wild-eyed man who claims to be a scientist will come along to ruin your plans.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Return of the Joker definitely wasn't as good as Meltdown, but it was still a good movie. I loved seeing Terry beat the Joker at his own game at the end.

As for the chip, there's absolutely no problem with it. Why? Because this is the DC Universe. Joker could have easily stolen something like that from Lex Corp, hell, maybe he even picked it up from Brainiac. The technology for it definitely existed during that time period.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:As for the chip, there's absolutely no problem with it. Why? Because this is the DC Universe. Joker could have easily stolen something like that from Lex Corp, hell, maybe he even picked it up from Brainiac. The technology for it definitely existed during that time period.
You're missing the point entirely. The problem is not if the technology exists, but that it's a horrible plot device and bad writing.
Destiny_Gundam

If it makes sense in universe then there's nothing bad about it. Might be silly, sure, but not bad. Coming up with that certainly took more thought than if they did a cliche time travel story.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:If it makes sense in universe then there's nothing bad about it. Might be silly, sure, but not bad. Coming up with that certainly took more thought than if they did a cliche time travel story.
Wow, you really will blindly defend almost anything.
Destiny_Gundam

No, I'll defend anything that doesn't warrant such harsh criticism.

I am genuinely baffled by why you consider that bad writing. It's no worse writing than a pit that grants immortality, or a serum that turns you into a bat creature, or a chemical that turns you into a lump of clay.
Mu La Flaga

I can see where both of you are coming from.
But I think Chris is trying to say it more like.

Imagine if your just some normal person who gets a DNA chip implanted in to you so later on when the Joker needs to he can magically take over Tim Drake and become the Joker again.

I think the idea would have worked better if say it was just a clone body with a DNA chip perhaps.
Or just an outright clone with transplanted memories or stuff.

But Destiny Gundam is just trying to point out it is fiction and sometimes fictional series don't follow the standard laws of real life :P
Such as physics or other things.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:No, I'll defend anything that doesn't warrant such harsh criticism.

I am genuinely baffled by why you consider that bad writing. It's no worse writing than a pit that grants immortality, or a serum that turns you into a bat creature, or a chemical that turns you into a lump of clay.
Yeah, but I can probably count on a single hand the thing you won't defend. Also, your argument is ridiculous. Something can make sense in universe and STILL be bad writing and a stupid plot device. By your logic, pretty much anything can be defended if it "makes sense" in that universe. I honestly have to wonder sometimes if you're even capable of recognizing bad writing when you see it because you ceaselessly defend so many bad things.
Destiny_Gundam

I can recognise bad things just fine and openly admit as such. Revenge of the Fallen is bad, however I can still enjoy it.

In this case, though, I fail to see what makes the chip bad writing. The existance of the chip makes sense within the rules of the universe. As such it is a legitimate element of the plot and is not just some out of place thing that doesn't gel with the rest of the story.

Take Twilight. Twilight is undeniably bad writing. It's established early on that Vampires have no bodily fluids other than venom, but then Edward gets Bella pregnant. That is a direct contradiction to the universe Myers established. Edward lacks semen, and even the blood to get an errection, but he knocks Bella up anyways. Consistancy problems are an actual flaw that constitutes bad writing.

Even if I agreed with you that the chip is some how bad writing, so what? The rest of the movie was great. What was important wasn't how the Joker came back, it's that he is back and Terry has to take him on. Batman Beyond has pitted Terry against Bruce's old rouges several times in similar ways. How about when Ra's came back, having transfered his mind into Talia by using some special computer?