Ep. 021: Magic: The Gathering

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 021: Magic: The Gathering

Chaos Theater Ep. 021 - "Magic: The Gathering"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 122 mins, 10 sec. (2:03:10) 56.4 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Austin Blake and Angel De Fana (opening and Magic: The Gathering)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:32:03

02. Discussion: "Magic: The Gathering"
Runtime: 0:32:32 - 1:18:22

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:19:00 - 2:01:59

In this episode, Pedro and Chris tap two to summon Austin and Angel as special guests to discuss Wizards of the Coast's uber popular CCG, Magic: The Gathering. Before that, we catch up on what we've been doing and slay a sacred cow of people who criticize others for being nerds but can't recognize their own nerdiness. After our roundtable discussion of Magic, we offer some Audible recommendations and answer your voicemail and Mailbag questions. Next time, get the pitchforks and bra straps out as we discuss High School of the Dead.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Build that Wall (Zia's Theme)" from Bastion by Darren Korb
"The Bottom Feeders" from Bastion by Darren Korb

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Ep. 021: Magic: The Gathering

Sweet!! Chaos Theater and Gundamn make commuting back and forth between my apartment and school much more fun. BTW, thanks to you guys, I'm now a convert to Fairy Tail.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Ok, haven't listened to the main bulk of the episode then again.
I haven't played Magic the Gathering so, can't comment on it much.

The sacred cow I sort of understand where Chris comes from.
For me though I never really had huge problems in school, I was kind of known as the guy who like Transformers and Digimon.
I did play 1-2 friends of mine in chess up in the library on lunch breaks or read some old books.
But yeah in some cases people become kind of sterotyped, which they shouldn't but it happens.
Not that great a chess player by the way.

As for Mailbag, Chris the nun your thinking of who hung out with Revy is Eda

And I kind of had the feeling you guys hadn't played it or anything.
I used to play Rogue Squadron a fair bit, ever quite finished it.

Also a note for Chris.
I thought I left a voicemail for Chaos Theater, what happened to that?
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Also a note for Chris. I thought I left a voicemail for Chaos Theater, what happened to that?
There's a queue for voicemails, if you Australian criminals use that word like your British cousins. :)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Ah that explins it then, even though I put that voicemail in just around the time you posted episode 20.
And Arbiter got his one for 21, since he mentioned the TNG episode :P
Mr Bushido

Because of this episode I decided to go up my attic and pull out my Myr Incubator deck and my Orzhov deck.

Man I miss Arcbound Ravenger.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
mobiusdiablo

Huh. I think it was episode 19 that Pedro mentioned it the Ar tonelico series like that, though it's either me remembering wrong or it slipped instead of Atelier.

Onto MAGIC! Oh joy, I was like Chris on this one to an extent - I got in around Miirodin/Fifth Dawn (which so happens to be one of my favorite blocks cuz I love artifacts), and one of the guys at my school brought a bunch of cards one time, and I asked if I could get some off him for some of my own Yugioh cards. Deal was made, we swapped piles and once he instructed me how to play and what did what, I wound up accidentally making a Sunburst deck. For someone that likes to form and adapt to different situations on the fly, that deck was probably the best thing that I could've had, and it's a pity I lost it.

Got back in around Alara/Magic 2010, and started playing again with a Bant/Exalted deck, crossing between Green/White/Blue. My most memorable moment was with this deck, we were having a four way fight, me against a Blue mill (i think that's how you spell the decks that move your library to your graveyard), a red Dragon deck, and a white Soldier deck.

Somehow, I wound up with a single Lightwielder Paladin (which I got from a starter deck before street date because we knew the guy at the local game store) at 14/12 with flying, first strike, and trample, simply to counter and kill Blue's flying lake/3/10 Wall of Frost. At this point, I felt what Pedro felt with the F*** You Red deck, but instead of feeling hate, I felt FEAR - instead of taking out the guy that likes to take out half your deck or the one that burns your Life, everyone gangs up on ME.

As for now, I'm still tinkering with my cards, trying to find something that feels right, since Bant/Exalted was a bit too slow. May go White/Red like you guys, but I also like my blue cards. And as for pulls, god - I seem to have the luck of the world when it comes to this. Hellkite Overlord, Time Reversal, three different Planeswalkers, Wargate... The list goes on.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
hotlimit

Great episode guys, sadly I never knew enough people that played Magic to get into it very seriously. My favorite expansion was Urza's Legacy, and my best pull was probably Lotus Vale (I assume it was good because it's the only card I had that anybody wanted to trade for).

I had quit CCGs for years until very very recently when my local anime store started promoting a game from Japan called Weiss Schwarz. Despite all of the cards being in Japanese, there are TONS of players where I live... so it is great to both play card games again, and to meet people who aren't scared to death of foreign things. Best of all, it is extremely balanced, almost to an absurd degree. It is very cheap to play, so the amount of money you spend on it is more a sign of your devotion to a particular set (all sets are self-contained, there are very few 'expansions', per-se) than it is devotion to being competitive.

edit: Just an add-on, as this is sort-of relevant to stuff you've talked about on Chaos Theater - The Japanese card game has a Fairy Tail set, and the Fairy Tail starter deck is so strong that it's considered a benchmark for deck-builders looking to become competitive. I personally play a Persona 4 deck.
Mr Bushido

I'm not too familiar with the older sets and gotten into MTG with the Mirrodin block. The only older set I bought at the time was Onslaught. Saw a couple of interesting older blocks but the card shop was selling them at double the price for the regular theme deck.

The Kamigawa block was really good. I loved my Nezumi deck. Did nothing but make rat tokens and multiplied them with every upkeep. Added in Platinum Angel for the lols.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Thank you for answering my questions. Bayonetta is one of my absolute favorite games. I'm one treasure chest away from going platinum on it. I also need to beat the survival mode and try the other characters. The music is also phenomenal. I am hoping to do a replay of Okami soon.

You know, the whole "cut aiming sphere" in the original MG Rising would have gone great with Kinect or the ps3's wand thing. Why don't they just do that??

I'm really looking forward to Asura's Wrath, but I also agree that the demo is disappointing. I've already seen all of those parts online, and the QTE's don't give a taste for what the rest of the game will be like.

I don't think we had any Magic players in my high school, but there was a Duel Monsters crowd. I had a deck, but I usually just played against my friend at his house instead of in public. I remember one guy complaining that he would rather play Magic and wanted to teach everybody that instead, lol. My Duel Monsters deck was the most simple strategy: place as many high attack monsters on the field as possible. You'd be surprised how often I won against my friend with his rare cards and strategies. My deck slowly evolved into a dragon deck, which was suicide when he pulled this one certain monster.... I forgot its name.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
bertman4

CCGs are not my cup of tea but I do understand the appeal. Which is exactly why I never started because I have an addictive personality. Magic came out when I was in graduate school. The local comic shop started carrying them and it was a huge deal. People were dropping hundreds of dollars per week on buying the cards. It was a huge money maker for the shop but some customers were a little crazy. I remember this one guy was sniffing the booster packs claiming he could smell the packs with the rare cards in them.

I've only played a couple of times with borrowed decks. If I were to play again, Chris' red deck sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the interesting listen.