Ep. 019: Uncharted

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 019: Uncharted

Chaos Theater Ep. 019 - "Uncharted"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 127 mins, 39 sec. (2:07:39) 58.5 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:42:09

02. Discussion: "Uncharted"
Runtime: 0:44:35 - 1:30:00

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:30:21 - 2:06:24

We're back on track with our discussion of Sony's hit action series Uncharted. Before that, we catch up on what we've been up to and slay the sacred cow we call the "Internet Complaint Magnifier." We then hop into our main discussion of Uncharted, covering all three games with some comments about the upcoming PS Vita game Golden Abyss and the in-development movie. We've also got a new sponsor with Audible.com, so check the link below to get your 14 day trial and free audiobook. Please consider supporting us and the show. This is our last regular episode of the year, so check back next time for a special surprise!

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Nate's Theme 3.0" from Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception by Greg Edmonson
"Treasure Vault" from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune by Greg Edmonson
"Marco Polo" from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves by Greg Edmonson

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 019: Uncharted

So does audible deal mean you're going to try Dresden Files on audiobook, just in time for ghost story to be read by someone else because James Marsters got busy? (as a professional question: is the standard any shlub with a domain name affiliate deal, or an actual sponsorship?)

Good chat this time around. I do love Drake, and smoulder with generic rage that your show beat mine to this franchise as an episode topic. I will beat you to game of thrones though. I will!
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

I don't know that I'll try audiobooks for series that I've already started reading on dead trees. Maybe I'm just old fashioned that way. But I'll probably try new things in audiobooks. As for Audible deal, it's an affiliate program you have to apply to and be approved for. If you beat us to Game of Thrones, it'll be Pedro's fault since I've already read the books and seen the show. :)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
mobiusdiablo

Ah, nothing like cooking while listening to slaying the sacred cow. So Chris, can I shorten it to ICM for shortness? Or hell, the Internet Complaint/Bulls*** Multiplier (ICBM!)

Haven't played Uncharted, never really looked at it since I don't typically play shooters or Naughty Dog games in general that much anymore (I'm one of the few that's pretty much not heard or oblivious to it). Might look into it though since all three games are on the PS3.

Nice to hear you're watching and enjoying Clannad, Pedro, it's one of my favorite series. Pity the earlier Key works don't sound as good. Playing the Visual Novel now, and the TV series is actually very very true to what I've played, an awesome adaptation for once. Hope you haven't been spoiled or anything yet - it does take from it sadly (I still hold that against my friends).
Last edited by mobiusdiablo on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

Just wanted to drop in to leave a reply for the episode.
Can't comment on uncharted.

As for mailbag answers.
Ok Xenosaga I might look in to, Lunar I remember getting one of the DS games Lunar Sidestory it didn't catch my interest much, I do want to find Lunar Knights though if possible.

As for fighting games I've played Tekken since Tekken Tag and Tekken 4.
Dead or Alive I never played the original I did play Dead or Alive 2 on PS2, then I missed a game or 2 but got back in to them when I get Dead or Alive Dimmensions for 3DS.

Streetfighter don't really keep up with, I do have SS4 3D Edition it's interesting.
Not sure if I've played any of the Fatal Fury games.
Mortal Kombat the least one I got with was Annihilation the game, NOT the movie, which had heaps of characters, custom fatalities ect.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Chris wrote: If you beat us to Game of Thrones, it'll be Pedro's fault since I've already read the books and seen the show. :)
hey Pedro, sword of truth gets REALLY awesome as it goes on and you should stay focussed on that.

Post Script: I fully welcome an Uncharted-themed cart racer and will heartily enjoy beating you all on the psn with it.
Last edited by The Fowl Sorcerous on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[[lorem ipsum]]
hotlimit

Good episode as usual, I didn't like the first Uncharted, so I never bothered with the second, but some of those different locations sound pretty cool.

edit- Also I totally agree with Pedro on the GTA series, those games have serious pacing issues. Also agree with both on Vice City, it was the only one I got really far in.
xaos

Naughty Dog is one heck of a developer and Uncharted a heck of a series. My dad's a much bigger fan of it than I am, and I think that's an understatement. He plays it all the time, I barely play Skyrim or KOF 13. Matter of fact he's playing it as I'm typing this.

I agree with Chris about the writing and the voice acting in the series. It's a combination of good writing and good voice actors that makes it stand out. Not that I'm all about the graphics in a game but one has to admit that they're darn impressive. Gameplay is really fun too, there are some minor things I've seen when I watch my dad play the game but when I play I have no problem with the controls, except for the aiming in part 3 a little bit but after the patch I was all good there.

This was my first time listening to Chaos Theater and I dug it, I'm looking forward to more now.
NastyNate

What did you guys think of ucharted doing a national treasure with drake and ellana breaking up and getting back together each time? I hope that they leave 3 as the final in the story arch as I really don t want to have to get ellana back again. I am good with prequels or side stuff though.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Shinigam_Newtype

I haven't listened to this episode yet, I purposefuly put it off until I completed Uncharted 3.
Now that I have completed it, I must say I am immensely disppapointed with various elements of the game particularly the story.

SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW, DON'T READ IT YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED IT YET!!!!

1) The story IMO was quite nonsensical. Firstly; what exactly was Marlowe's plan and what were her motivations?! So she was going to release the Djinn from underwater and do what exactly? Poinson her enemies' water supply? Yes, through one of the game's many exposition scenes, they explain that you can use it to create fear in people but just practically speaking, How would Marlowe have even harnessed the power of the Djinn, how would she have controlled it? Also, why were he plans so easily foiled by Drake destroying the crane with a gun(WHICH HE CONVENIENTLY FOUND ONLY MOMENTS BEFORE) It's not like he destoryed the jar, it simply fell back in the water, the place it was located initially.

Secondly, what was the point of the Cruise boat missions? In the end we find out that Sully wasn't even on the boat, which I thought was obvious to the audience anyway, seeing as Talbot had already said they had located Sully, so how would he end up on a boat with pirates? These missions were an abosolute waste of time, they advanced the story in no meaningful way.

Thirdly, I felt as though the developers just dropped us from one location to another without warranted

2) The character development in this game again IMO was terrible.

Drake and Elena: This relationship is never really explored in the game, it's suggested that they married after the events of the 2nd game and seperated....for some reason presumably because of his adventure chasing. This is just extrapolation on my part they never explained the relationship between the two. For once I actually wished they had used one of their many exposition scenes to explain just what had happened.

Cutter: Who exactly was this character? If i'm not mistaken, this game marks his first appearance and yet the game introduces us to him as though he's been in every game since Drake's fortune. He disappears just as quickly with Chloe mid-way through the game and the two aren't seen, heard from or even referenced for the rest of the game. Both of them being such key members of the game's earlier missions, you'd think they'd come back in the later missions, especially Cutter for what Marlowe made him do and for what Talbot did to him...NOPE!

Talbot and Marlowe: I don't even know where to begin witht these two so I won't unless asked :) I will say however that being the first female antagonist in the series, Marlowe had a lot of potential and she was badass in the ealier parts of the game, sadly they wasted her character horribly.
Having said that, what exactly was the deal with Talbot? The game seems to indicate he has supernatural powers or something. He's able to survive a gunshot to the chest at point blank and is able to disappear at will. None of this is ever explained in game, and sadly as with Marlowe, not enough time is spent exploring his character to make any of it believable.

3) The final mission: By far the most disappointing final mission in the Uncharted series. In essence, there was no final boss. You shoot a bunch of guys, watch Marlowe's very anti-climactic death scene albeit somewhat setimental and then have a quick "quick time" event fight with Talbot. Perhaps it's because she's a female but I'm surprised Marlowe played absolutely no part in the final "fight". Never before has the final battle been with a henchman, it was the case in the 1st game but it revealed then that the "henchman" was actually running things. In this game Talbot presumably has no plans to take over, he just wants to follow Marlowe's every order.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080