Ep. 013: Back to the Future

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 013: Back to the Future

Chaos Theater Ep. 013 - "Back to the Future"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 159 mins, 01 sec. (2:39:01) 72.8 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:51:56

02. Discussion: "Back to the Future"
Runtime: 0:52:17 - 1:59:47

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:00:10 - 2:37:36

Yeah, as you can see from the runtime, we went overboard in this episode. After catching up on what we've been doing, we grill up a sacred cow we've referenced in part before: nostalgia in defense of video game companies. We then introduce a new subsegment, Sacred Cow Burger Sliders, where we revisit the topic of a previous sacred cow. For the first in this occasional segment, we return to last episode's discussion of bloggers and journalists. It definitely gets pretty inside baseball about journalism, so it's not for the weak of heart. After that, we get into an in-depth discussion of the Back to the Future trilogy. After dissecting each of the movies, we talk about some other parts of the franchise, including the cartoon, the Universal Studios ride, the crappy old NES games and the current game from Telltale. Next time, we go back from the future to the past to discuss Fairy Tail. I mentioned long ago that we'd eventually get around to it, so now's the time.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"The Power of Love" from Back to the Future by Huey Lewis and the News
"Johnny B. Goode" from Back to the Future by Marty McFly and The Starlighters
"Back in Time" from Back to the Future by Huey Lewis and the News

Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Episode 013: Back to the Future

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Pedro the Pedo-est of Pedobears and (IIRC) Chief Gunbuster Fan,
What kind of BS is this? :evil:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

Ok so on the Sacred Cow firstly I get that with the 3DS and it's launch line up wasn't so good, but at least now there are some decent games out and around to chose from.

Yeah unfortunately companies have made stupid mistakes in the past.
Hell look at Sega and what happened with the Saturn and Dreamcast, it just didn'thelp them out really.

Nintendo have also had their stupid way of doing things or handling things, I've mentioned the Pokemon DLC issue before is one example of something.
The 3DS E-Shop doesn't have much in it, I purchased the Bomberman multiplayer online game though.

I do agreee it's a gimmick on the 3D, I barely if ever use the 3D at all on it, it's good it's optional.
As Pedro said it's a good successor to the DS anyway.

But anyway. sometimes they turn themselves around or sometimes companies go under(and rightfully so)

On the movies as a whole.
VERY well done coverage, but I noticed you missed one detail related to part 2 and Needles.
How in 2015 Marty made a stupid mistake for someone calling him chicken again and getting fired for signing up for a fraud/scam deal with him.

So Marty avoiding all of that was a one of the best things seeing him change alot.

As for the mailbag answers got some interesting answers on the one with games lacking in execution.
I don't have a PS3 or stuff though, so can't change that aspect when it comes to experiencing more recent games.

For shoot em ups awesome answers and Gradius is one I will look in to, but I think I hit most of the main shoot em up series off top of my head.

Be curious on the Fairy Tale episode next time.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinigam_Newtype

Perhaps this is an inconsistency or me just missing something, either way it always stands out anytime I see it.

In part 3, we first see Clara Clayton as she is about to fall to her death in the ravine, hence its future name, however if she was to die there at that time, how is it that she would later fall in love with the Doc and write the note on his gravestone?
N.B. We as an audience first meet Clara when the Doc and Marty do.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Mu La Flaga

Got a good point there, it's kind of contradicting detail if think about it.

Also I forgot from Part 3 I loved how even back in 1885, you can see where the Tanens and their stupidity began.

I really loved this little exchange in the movie in part 3 between Mad Dog and one of his lackeys.
"Let's finish this right here, right now!"
"Marshall has our guns Bufford"
"Like I said we'll finish this tomorrow"
"Tomorrow we're robbing the Pine City Stage"
"How about Monday?, we doing anything Monday!?"
"No Monday will be fine you can kill him on Monday"
"I"ll be back this way on Monday!"

Ah Mad Dog, you have the villian schedule to keep I see.
Funny damn line :lol: :mrgreen:

And the family habbit goes back to 1885 also.

"If your not here on Monday, I'll hunt you down and shoot you like a duck"
"Dog Bufford, it's shoot him like a dog"
"Lets go boys!, let's let these sissies have their party!"
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:On the movies as a whole.
VERY well done coverage, but I noticed you missed one detail related to part 2 and Needles.
How in 2015 Marty made a stupid mistake for someone calling him chicken again and getting fired for signing up for a fraud/scam deal with him.

So Marty avoiding all of that was a one of the best things seeing him change alot.
We didn't mention Needles specifically, but we did discuss in Part III how he got over the chicken thing and didn't ruin his life, which includes the incident with Needles in 2015.
Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Perhaps this is an inconsistency or me just missing something, either way it always stands out anytime I see it.

In part 3, we first see Clara Clayton as she is about to fall to her death in the ravine, hence its future name, however if she was to die there at that time, how is it that she would later fall in love with the Doc and write the note on his gravestone?
This isn't an inconsistency. Marty learned in school that Shonash Ravine was renamed Clayton Ravine because no one was at the train station to meet Clara, and she went off on her own. This is before Doc went back in time to 1885. By going back to 1885, Doc changed history because he was there to do the mayor the favor of meeting her, thus allowing him to fall in love with her. It's only when he tries to avoid meeting her that history almost plays out again the way it originally did. And of course, because Marty and Doc further changed history by hijacking the train, it became Eastwood Ravine.
hotlimit

Mmmm, cow... It doesn't matter whether or not the 3DS has a terrible launch lineup or game library, there will be people who talk crap about it just because it's a Nintendo system. So for every one of those people, you'll get a bunch of equally whiny people pretending that the 3DS or WiiU smell like roses. None of these people are victims of nostalgia, it's just the whole, "I have to hate that which is popular/I have to defend that which is downtrodden" mentality people have on the internet. It's two sides of the same coin, let them waste each other's time.
Chris
Administrator

There are those kinds of people, but there are definitely many who defend companies purely out of nostalgia. Just look at Soul Bro and Capcom. :P
Mu La Flaga

I just wanted to add a relevant post to the Sacred Cow.
I have my small gripes with Nintendo, the Pokemon DLC thing is one issue as I have mentioned.
Here is a new one with Starfox 64 3D.

But if their attitude is behind NOT putting WiFi Online multiplayer in to the game is just so stupid.
Or laziness, it just baffles me why they don't to adapt some of those newer "trends" they call them, to quote them.
hotlimit

Hahha, well, to SoulBro's credit, Capcom still puts out good games. They even appease the actual nostalgic people with HD re-releases of classics, while SquareEnix and Konami act like they've walked on water every time they even announce an HD update.
Wingnut

Thanks to you guys, I'm now repeatedly listening to the songs from the movies. The Power of Love is playing right now.

Also of possible historical changing by Marty was the first(?) Frisbee pie plate usage to deflect the gunshot from Buford's derringer.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
VentZX

Yo Chris, you said you don't like Sega outside of the Yakuza games, but I highly recommend you check out Valkyria Chronicles at some point if you haven't already. It's a great mix of turn based strategy with a bit of 3rd person shooter mixed in. It's a shame the series got moved to PSP with VCII (although I still loved it). Granted, Sega always screws a good thing and VCIII still hasn't been localized, and it doesn't look like it will be. You could blame sales for that though...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Pedro the Pedo-est of Pedobears and (IIRC) Chief Gunbuster Fan,
What kind of BS is this? :evil:
That's because you're the Supreme Gunbuster Fan. There is a difference!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

To quote Chris from episode 10.
"I know Peter/DG is not amused"

Although that was in reference to Mario Galaxy 2 and Yoshi. :P
Arbiter GUNDAM

Chris wrote:
Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Perhaps this is an inconsistency or me just missing something, either way it always stands out anytime I see it.

This isn't an inconsistency. Marty learned in school that Shonash Ravine was renamed Clayton Ravine because no one was at the train station to meet Clara, and she went off on her own. This is before Doc went back in time to 1885. By going back to 1885, Doc changed history because he was there to do the mayor the favor of meeting her, thus allowing him to fall in love with her. It's only when he tries to avoid meeting her that history almost plays out again the way it originally did. And of course, because Marty and Doc further changed history by hijacking the train, it became Eastwood Ravine.
If you look closely at the scene where Doc is showing Marty the map at the train station, you can see Clara in the background waiting for Doc to show up.

Now I was just watching BTTF2 tonight and I decided to make a list of all the things we're not going to see when we get to the real 2015:
No self-lacing power sneakers by NIKE
No self-adjusting, self-drying clothes
Teenagers will definitely not wear their jeans inside out as a fashion statement
No futuristic cybernetic implants
No flying cars
Spandex and foam in neon colors won't be in fashion (Not that I'd want them to be)
No life-size holographic billboards
No holographic movies
No Jaws 19 directed by Max Speilberg
No robotic attendants/waiters
Probably no Pepsi Perfect in a futuristic bottle
You will still have to use your hands to play video games
The Cubs still haven't won the World Series
No mechanized baseball bats
Car bodyshapes aren't going to look all that futuristic
No TV screens that can double as window shades
No computerized houses
No automatic hover-walker for dogs
No biometric monetary transactions
No hydroponics in the ceiling
Wearing two neckties with your suit won't be in fashion
There wont be a kitchen appliance that can turn a tiny dehydrated pizza into a full-size cooked one.
No fancy video glasses that let you watch TV on them or have video-phone conversations.
Vietnam probably won't be a premier vacation spot
And the most heinous offenses: No Hoverboards and lawyers will definitely not be abolished!!

Now BTTF2 did get some things right but I only found a few.
Flat panel, Hi-Def TV sets. Although I haven't seen anyone try to watch six channels at once.
Live, real-time video conferencing and chatting
Pepsi and Coke will definitely still be here
Teenagers and tweenagers are definitely as obsessed with yapping on phones as in the movie. We just have smartphones instead of vid-glasses. The phone obsession has been around for a while though.
Inflation is bad but nowhere near as bad as in BTTF2. (Hey kid, thumb a hundred bucks to help save the clocktower!)
I think you guys did mention a few of these.

BTW Chris, have you gotten the other episodes of the BTTF game yet?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
sakurangel

i been playing the first episod of the game and i lovd, for be ib a style i don't normally play that is click aventure game, and the little injoke about Marty be part of the mario brothers association, and the jornalist with out thinking she know that mario is italian... and the explication about where the second delorean came from. i hope when cris finish all games there will be a episode dedicated to the games of back to the future
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
TimberNewtype

If you don't wanna lay down $60K+, you could always buy used: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype