Ep. 011: Doctor Who

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
kayone73

Re: Episode 011: Doctor Who

Chris wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Concerning the sacred cow: Do you think there's going to come a time when Marvel and DC will just have to shelve the greater part of their superheroes, most of whom, as you pointed out, were created in the 40s, 50s and 60s, and say, "Guys, we just can't keep going over these guys' stories. We need an entirely new cadre of superheroes."
No, I don't see that ever happening. DC is never going to shelve its most well-known characters, Batman and Superman, and you're never going to see Marvel shelve Spider-Man or the X-Men. These characters are their bread and butter and have become a part of American pop culture. Superheroes don't just exist in the vacuum of comic books anymore - they have to be multimedia powerhouses. Now you have both DC and Marvel being owned by major movie studios.

Agree w this. In addition to being cash cows these characters are cultural institutions AND modern western mythology/gods. No amount of clever marketing and introduction of new characters will completely supplant what are essentially, 20th century american Gods in the minds of modern people.
bertman4

Re: Ep. 011: Doctor Who

Sacred Cow: That was awesome! You cooked it thoroughly!

Doctor Who: I'm surprised you did not mention any of the Tennant animated episodes. Any thoughts on that?

I started with Tom Baker on PBS. I also saw a fair number of Jon Pertwee but very little of Patrick Troughton or William Hartnell. My favorite Doctor was Peter Davidson. I found him to be very different and refreshingly new compared to Baker's long run. I also found the writing to be better as they explored more shades of gray. Colin Baker was okay but just not my Doctor. I saw very little of Sylvester McCoy.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Ep. 011: Doctor Who

Never seen the Tennant animated episodes, which is why we didn't discuss them.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his