Ep. 009: Star Trek movies

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 009: Star Trek movies

Chaos Theater Ep. 009 - "Star Trek movies"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 158 mins, 04 sec. (2:38:04) 72.4 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:25:04

02. Discussion: "Star Trek movies"
Runtime: 0:25:26 - 2:22:52

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:23:13 - 2:37:45

Chaos Theater is back with our biggest episode yet! And before you ask, no, we're not going to be going to Gundamn-like lengths from this point on (well, maybe the next too, but that's it!). In a first, both the sacred cow and our main topic are about the same thing: Star Trek. For the main topic, we examine all 11 feature films, from the original 1979 snoozefest up to the 2009 J.J. Abrams reboot. Next time, we're going to hop onto a warp pipe for a trip down to the Mushroom Kingdom to discuss the Super Mario games.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"You Will be Perfect" from Portal 2: Songs to Test By Vol. 2
"An Accent Beyond" from Portal 2: Songs to Test By Vol. 2

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jcncasval76

Re: Episode 009: Star Trek movies

If I remember correctly from what I have read about the Star Trek movie from William Shatner's Star Trek memoir, on the first movie, nobody in the cast liked that particular uniform, it was bloody tight and won't give much mobility to whomever wears that, and then the politics of what to come up with was horrific, that led to an overbudget & rush everything, etc. The CG at that period was a little bit ahead of its time. On "Wrath of Khan", there was a joke played on Ricardo Montalban by putting cardboard Tattoo on the set. Interestingly, that was around the time that Montalban was starring on "Fantasy Island", and Tattoo was there. Then, one scene on Star Trek V, a creature that is supposed to breathe fire from his breath turned in "a guy in a silly rubber suit and just blowing tiny bit of smokes". Another part of Star Trek outtakes had to do with the dinner on Star Trek VI, from what I read & watched in the interview on the special edition of that movie, was that Shatner literally made a few bucks on Nick Meyer after Meyer heralded that the first person who eats the dyed-blue squid in that dinner scene - only after nobody wanted to eat whatever it was on the table.

to your question, that Israeli Prime Minister was Yitzhak Rabin.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

Ok so for Star Trek movies.
I've seen these ones Search for Spock, Journey Home, Undiscovered Country, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis, First Contact and the reboot movie.

I don't have much to add, but I liked search for spock.
I liked Search for Spock most of all, the original Enterprise was due to be decommissioned so even though Kirk self destructed it, so it was sad to see the ship go that way, but it was putting her to rest.

I agree with your opinons on them.
1.On Derek Meddings and his works, well he was hunted once for his talented by Stanely Kubrick to work on his stuff, but the wife of Gerry Anderson, Sylvia flat out told him no because they weren't going to lend him out on a whim and this was in the commentary for the mvie release of TBs Are Go Movie.

So he made a jump later to Hollywoodand he won something for his work in Superman movies.

Goldeneye was his last work it was dedicated to his memory/him.
The MIGs crashing, the tank chase and other things involving vehicles ect, chances are it was his work.

But on a note on that line, Captan Scarlet is one of the more mature and darker series Gerry Anderson did and I would really recommend it.

3.Digimon I'm surprised you guys have never played or watched any of it really.
Pokemon yeah I like the games far more so, I take my Pokewalker everywhere I go right now.

3.Back to the Future I like Part 1 and 3 equally, I like how Part 2 links to events in Parts 1 and 3 alot though, also nice to know someone who shares my thoughts on part 3.

Also thanks for the answers and look forward to the more in depth discussion on Back to the Future movies.

Final note is also, damn Pedro, but yeah I know what you mean on sometimes effects doing it for you :P

At the same time, you seemed to lure Chris'es wrath/hate almost by putting down the old Enterprise, I can understand that though.

Chris you should set phasers to kil next time.
That or eyebeams of doom.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Digimon I'm surprised you guys have never played or watched any of it really.
What's so surprising about it? Not everyone has played or watched everything just because it's popular. When Digimon and Pokemon appeared in the U.S., I was 18, so they didn't have much appeal for me. I watched Pokemon a bit because it was amusing, and to kill time in the morning before class. It wasn't even until years after that that I played Fire Red, my first experience with the games.
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Digimon I'm surprised you guys have never played or watched any of it really.
What's so surprising about it? Not everyone has played or watched everything just because it's popular. When Digimon and Pokemon appeared in the U.S., I was 18, so they didn't have much appeal for me. I watched Pokemon a bit because it was amusing, and to kill time in the morning before class. It wasn't even until years after that that I played Fire Red, my first experience with the games.
Fair enough, just saying it's surprsing becase Digimon had some interesting themes and ideas to it.
Consdering every series is set in a Digital World and all and usually has the idea of evolutions not being pernament ect.
Calling out atacks, the Digimon speak unlike Pokemon and all that kind of thing.

For Pokemon wise, I did and do have the roginal Gameboy versions and stil working also.
I kind of dropped off during some of the GBA games, but as I said, Soul Silver and Heart Gold remakes renwed my interest in the series again.
hotlimit

So now that I've heard the whole thing, I'll have to check out the Wrath of Kahn. I can totally relate to Pedro on the whole 'weak movie slipping off the mind' thing, because I think I actually saw Insurrection on a bus once, and forgot it almost instantly.

I was going to say the same thing about Digimon that Chris already cleared up - he was a little too old to be really into that show, in the same way that I'm too young to know anything about Transformers or GI Joe. Digimon and Pokemon are apples and oranges though. Digimon is a sci-fi show with a set of unrelated video games (most of which are based off the virtual-pet incarnation of Digimon rather than the show), while Pokemon is a videogame that was adapted into a cartoon and 100 other things.
kayone73

Pretty much agree w Chris & Pedro's ranking of the Star Trek films. V and Insurrection do rank among my least favorite and I've also seen them each only once and never again. Still I will give V credit that it's so hilariously bad that much of he movie is still stuck in my memory and I still vividly remember many scenes from that cinematic turd. Insurrection OTOH is Pedro's mental Teflon to me, I can barely remember anything that happened but I remember it sucking bad enough not to rewatch it.

On the further subject of V and what a faulty POS the Enterprise A was, Chris was it your opinion that even tho Starfleet rewarded Kirk w another ship renamed Enterprise, that they really foisted a redressed fleet junker and give to him like a backhanded gift?
Last edited by kayone73 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Administrator

kayone73 wrote:On the further subject of V and what a faulty POS the Enterprise A was, Chris was it your opinion that even tho Starfleet rewarded Kirk w another ship renamed Enterprise, that they really foisted a redressed fleet junker and give to him like a backhanded gift?
I don't think so. It worked just fine in the 2 minutes of screen time it had at the end of IV. I think Shatner and David Loughery probably thought it would be funny to have the Enterprise-A be some rundown piece of crap breaking at inopportune moments to provide comedy.
jcncasval76

Which Star Trek movies are the worst? I, V, or X?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mekton GM

Beside the fact the V was an peice of fan fic garbage with Kirk as a Garry Stew , the only thing that I liked about it was that for once we saw the dirty seedier side of the Star Trek univers outside of the perfect human utopia with gangs and 3 boobed catgirl stripers
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
kayone73

Mekton GM wrote:Beside the fact the V was an peice of fan fic garbage with Kirk as a Garry Stew , the only thing that I liked about it was that for once we saw the dirty seedier side of the Star Trek univers outside of the perfect human utopia with gangs and 3 boobed catgirl stripers
For true wish-fulfillment fanwank fiction, you have to check out the novels Shatner co-wrote starting with the one where he had Kirk resurrected, as Chris mentioned in the podcast. This book was called 'The Return' and if you read the plot summary, it could have been written by any basement dwelling Kirk fanboy, except it seems that Shatner himself has taken the mantle of Kirk Fanboy #1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_%28Star_Trek%29
The novel begins on the planet Veridian III and takes place shortly after the events seen in the motion picture Star Trek Generations. The body of James T. Kirk is stolen by the Romulans after his burial by fellow Starfleet captain Jean-Luc Picard. The Borg have formed an alliance with the Romulan Star Empire in order to destroy the Federation. Using alien technology, the Borg bring Kirk back to life and his katra is restored, but false memories are implanted to turn him against the Federation. The goal of this secret alliance is to destroy Picard and therefore Starfleet's only defense against the Borg but, despite his conditioning, Kirk is able to resist commands to kill Worf, Data, and Geordi La Forge, all of whom are attacked by him during his search for Picard.
There's more to the description but that's all you need to read before you close your browser window.
Mekton GM

I tried reading Return but closed in the first chapter after reading about how Riker was haveing a nightmare about Kirk's death even though he wasnt there!!!
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
kayone73

Mekton GM wrote:I tried reading Return but closed in the first chapter after reading about how Riker was haveing a nightmare about Kirk's death even though he wasnt there!!!
Ow, I hope you didn't actually buy that book!
Mekton GM

kayone73 wrote:
Mekton GM wrote:I tried reading Return but closed in the first chapter after reading about how Riker was haveing a nightmare about Kirk's death even though he wasnt there!!!
Ow, I hope you didn't actually buy that book!
God no I barrowed it from the library and returned it the same day
kayone73

I remember having read (but don't remember the source for the life of me) that it was implied in Search for Spock when reborn Spock was rapidly aging that he was going thru at least one cycle of accelerated pon Farr and Saviik gave herself to him so he wouldn't die, and then further intimated that she may have been carrying his unborn child by the start of Voyage Home, however obviously we never outright hear or see any follow up to this.

Anyone else ever heard this?
Wingnut

kayone73 wrote:I remember having read (but don't remember the source for the life of me) that it was implied in Search for Spock when reborn Spock was rapidly aging that he was going thru at least one cycle of accelerated pon Farr and Saviik gave herself to him so he wouldn't die, and then further intimated that she may have been carrying his unborn child by the start of Voyage Home, however obviously we never outright hear or see any follow up to this.

Anyone else ever heard this?
I've heard of that, but I can't recall reading anything that proved it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
The Fowl Sorcerous

most people go by the even-odd rule for trek film quality, but it doesn't hold up for the next gen movies. Instead you may substitute the rule of avoiding any trek movie in which a main character sings.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

The odd-even thing definitely did hold up for TNG movies, until Nemesis. That one broke the mold by being mediocre and a box office failure.
NastyNate

Hey guys I enjoyed this episode very much. Makes me want to watch Wrath of Khan again.

To pedro being a fan of Malcolm McDowell Picture have you ever got a chance to play killzone 3 where he plays the main villain? I really enjoyed his role in that game.

Also to Chris I like how you reference the Borg and Picard as a mobey dick and captain ahab thing. Every time you mention that I think about my favorite mobey dick movie where Patrick Stewart actually plays Captain Ahab.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
kayone73

Listening to this podcast made me go back and watch the Original cast films bluray boxset again. Some of you may remember when the original films were being rereleased as Special Edition directors cut version, The Motion Picture got the most extreme makeover with additional scenes, updated special effects (most associated with improved matte painting backgrounds, and scenes w the Enterprise & VGer, but when the HD release was being done they couldn't transfer this version to bluray because they said the enhanced version effects was only made for 480p resolution :huh:

Which is too bad because unlike the SW special editions I actually liked the changes in The Motion Picture.