Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Wingnut

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Obviously you guys are major console game fans and have been so far quite some time given Chris' all time favorite game. Have you ever gone into the realm of PC gaming at all during all this time, and if so what kind of stuff did you play?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

Hey guys.
2 shorter entries for the mailbag.

1.What are your opinions of the new 3DS games in the Mii Plaza if you purchased any of them?
I purchashed all 4 for the discounted deal and like 3 out of 4, I think the gardening game is rather "meh"
The rest are all kind of fun in their own ways.
Mii Force, Streetpass Battle and Mansion.

2.What are some instances of funny GIFs you may have come accross over time?
Ones which stick out to me is Loki becomes Katty Perry and another being the Pope/s becoming Emperor Palpatine GIFs.

That is all I have, look forward to what other topics you got, keep up the good work, Mu.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobiusdiablo

Favorite actor from these three: Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, or Idris Elba.

Now for a more serious question - There are some franchises that last a few years and then die or putter off, and then there are some (Power Rangers, Star Wars, Gundam, etc.) that just seem to keep on living and are relatively active throughout the years. Why is that - why can some seem to be eternal and others fall into non-existence? And all things do come to an end, but what will end these long-running shows?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
kayone73

Hello, question for both chris & pedro.

Have either of you seen the Batman Brave & the Bold animated series and if so, opinions? Like many fans of the DCAU, i was turned off by the campy, cartoony looking Silver Age art style and never bothered to check it out until I listened to Dedritch Bader's interview on the Fatman podcast.

I was amazed how much of a love letter this show was to the entire Batman franchise, all comics, animated series and film. And while the stories were sometimes silly, the references to nearly everything in the DCU and endless cast of secondary DC heroes made this show great. I think every diehard batman fan needs to check it out.
Saber

Back in episode 62 of Gundamn! (a long time ago, I know), a mailbag question incited a brief argument between Chris and SoulBro in regards to Batman Beyond and its Direct-to-Video movie, Return of the Joker, with SoulBro being the avid fan of the show and the movie and Chris hating on Return of the Joker quite a lot. So much in fact that he said, "I hate this movie so much. I wanna do a podcast about how much I hate this movie", to which SoulBro responded "We do need to do a podcast, just debating on the benefits and detractors of that film". Chris' response? "Done."

So the only logical question is:

Batman Beyond episode when?
mobiusdiablo

Dear Chaos Theater

I have finally completed my first runthrough of Mass Effect, from the start of one to the end of 3 and as you shared the stories of your Shepards when you reviewed it, I wish to share mine. My Shepard was a female vanguard Paragade and a ruthless spacer, opting to use words more often than her gun to resolve situations. And to my surprise most of the time she could, dialouge becoming more than just a roleplaying option but an actual tool in my arsenal. When words failed, Biotic Charging all over the place with a shotgun resolved things.

I had originally intended for her to be someone who would pick Control as their ending, someone that is willing to manipulate anyone and anything to get the outcome she sees as best, but as I played on and the situation kept changing, she become someone else, someone that believed what she was saying and that the Reapers had to be destroyed at all costs. That at the very end caused me/her to pick Destroy over Control - she wasn't a god, and she wasn't as blind as the Illusive Man was, but the war had to end.

Despite what the internet at large said, I had no issue with either the original or the Extended endings, there were some things I would've liked, but it didn't RUIN everything. And despite being spoiled beforehand with the episode, I still got so much enjoyment out of the game because it's more an experience than anything else. For that, I thank you for introducing a game to me that I would have otherwise never touched.

Now for an actual question:

Is romancing Tali worth playing as Male Shep? The voice acting for him, especially in 1 is so... so... bland compared to Jennifer Hale, especially his Renegade responses.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
zero_the_masked_knight

[Edited to reflect the Gundamn crew's comments on my question there]

Hi, Chris and Pedro

I was wondering what your take is on Jeph Leob's Batman works, The Long Halloween, and the sequels Dark Victory and Catwoman: When in Rome , along with the non-long Halloween related story, Hush. Unless I'm mistaken, all of these were written before Leob worked on Heroes.

Out of all of these, I've only read The Long Halloween.

I like it a lot, though it does have its flaws. The use of Calendar Man as a Hannibal Expy's really cool. Plus, Leob really makes you like Harvey Dent, so it's tragic to see him fall. The relationship between Catwoman and Batman was handled pretty well, too. The Falcones are basically the Low Rent Corleones, but they manage to remain likeable. Plus, Tim Sale's art is nice. The plot gives a great amount of tension, and the tension level remains the same even on repeated readings, for me at least. The twist at the end is really cool, but if you really think about it...

For flaws, what really bothers me is the ending...
Spoiler
Did Dent Kill them all save for Sal Maroni, who was killed by Alberto? Did Alberto kill them all up until Dent snapped and killed Carmine Falcone? Did Gilda really do it, or did Harvey's fall from grace cause her to snap and make it all up at the end?
I don't think Leob ever answered this question.

The idea of Holiday using a single .22 pistol to kill several people at once, or to leave an outline of bullets with rapid fire around the Riddler also stretches my suspension of disbelief, a lot. Even for a Batman work.

Ambiguity and Mystery are cool when done properly, but in this case, I felt that the ending was more annoying and confusing than ambiguous. In this respect, I always thought that the story tried too hard.

While I've never read the core Hush story, I've noticed that was under Paul Dini that Hush really got to shine.

What do you guys think? I'm curious to hear Chris's take on this, since I've noticed that he really doesn't like Jeph Loeb because of his work on Heroes.
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Cultclassic

You guys talked about one of my favorite movies, Children of Men a few episodes ago. What do you think of Alfonso Cuaron's next movie Gravity? Every time I see a trailer for it in theaters I hear groans and laughs. I am a little worried how the premise of the trailer be developed into an hour and a half movie but that is what I thought for Planetes.
So thoughts on the movie?
Mu La Flaga

Yo gentlemen.
Got a new letter to shove in to your door's post slot.

I was curious if you guys have played any of the Scribblenauts game entries on the DS and 3DS?
I started with Super Scribblenauts on the DS(the 2nd game) and got Unlimited on the 3DS.
I do like you can approach problems almost anyway you like, so long as you can think of the word/item you want to type up.
Need a monster feel free to summon Cthulu, a kind of gun, vehicle, animal, food ect.

Although I did get stuck at some point with the games, where you might be over thinking the words you are looking for to solve a problem/puzzle.
Curious to see what Scribblenauts Unmasked is going to do.

Until next time, sayonara gentlemen, Mu.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Do you think Dragonball Z Battle of Gods is TOEI's Man In a Can that is just warming up to release more Dragonball Z movies? Regardless of how it performed the ending felt it was hinting possibilities for more.

2. There have been many theatrical adaptations of manga,anime,and games. Which manga titles do you think could work well as a theatrical performance? I personally want to see Saint Seiya on Ice to see if the actors who would play the Bronze Cloth zombies trip or slide as hilarity ensues while performing a Pegasus Ryuseiken or Nebula Chain.

p.s. Though I like Saint Seiya lets admit,THEY NEVER DIE. Hence the title Bronze Cloth zombies.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Guys,

1) What do you think of the movie Cloverfield? I think it's a good movie: it accomplishes what it aims for, which is to give the "view from the foxhole" of a Kaiju attack on a city.What it's aiming for, which it accomplishes, also makes sense. The effects and the setpieces look realistic, even considering that it's supposedly "found footage". The acting is okay, even though admittedly, the characters do stupid things.

FWIW, the movie was produced by J.J. Abrams, but was directed by the guy who directed "Cabin in the Woods".

2) It's been Confirmed that If Prometheus is going to get a sequel, Damon Lindelof will not be involved. Is that enough to get you guys interested in it? I'm not expecting it the way I'm waiting for MGS5, Kingdom Hearts III or the new Star Wars, but I'll still be keeping my ears open for it. Seriously though, Ridley Scott and Lindelof should've just kept everything in one Movie. Or at least, they should've made the first movie interesting enough to make people want for a sequel, instead of leaving the big question completely unresolved with the intent of revealing more in the sequel.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, guys. Me again...

Lightning round :)

1) chocolate or cheese?*
2) <removed; already asked>
3) iced tea or lemonade?
4) Damon lindelof or David Goyer?
5) goof labeouf or nick cage?
6) Prometheus or into dumbness?
7) Ridley Scott or James Cameron?
8) Ron Perlmann or Peter Cullen?
9) Kenji Kawai or Joe Hisashi?
10) The Reveal in Man in a can 3 about the Mandarin, or the reveal in Dark Knight Rises about Marion Cotillard?
11) Idris Elba or Keith David?
12) Living forever or being remembered forever?

*Try both - either enhances the other's flavor!
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Dropping a delivery at CT's digital doorstep.

So what I wanted to ask is, what do you think of game sequels that try to break away from their standard formula in a good way?
For this instance I am going to use Saints Row and GTA for comparissons,
I never got in to the Saints Row games from the start,
I started with 3 and I appreciated the fact it gives more weapons, interesting vehicles and some crazy weapons, powers, scenarios, challenges, enemies ect.
Where as GTA has been sticking to it's old tired gang crime taking over city in sandbox formula, look at where Saints Row went ever since 3 and up to 4, I honnestly appreciate the direction it went.
I mean SR 4 gives you outright super powers in a Matrix esque world, while the real world was taken over by aliens.

So what do you think?

Also from a previous entry of mine, I would recommend Birdy the Mighty Decode.
It has elements of scifi, an attractive female lead, alien criminals, planets beyond our solar system/ UNIVERSE! and more.
So give it a go.

That's all, enjoyed the Man of Steel and the Wolverine movie episode by the way.
Mu.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eanetdude

What are your guys' favorite political film? (non-documentary) Mine is "Thirteen Days". It does a great job of laying out the foundation and twists of the Cuban Missile Crisis while conveying the emotional tension between the Kennedy administration and the military leaders.
sakurangel

hey guys, Green sentai pedobear present here to assist and asamble the giga-pedozord... and to ask some questions to.

1- pedro... Sega boutgh Atlus, what are u expetation for the future and name few new demons/ personas u willl think Atlus we create using Sega character? example- Blue demon with snicker(sonic) or sailor seeker(Ryo Hasuki)

2-Is there any anime or series that u like watchined in the lest expetingvchannelcu never think abouted? example- i remember watching Patlabor(OVA series 1 and 2 also tv series) on FOXKIDS back in mexico uncut and uncensured... yea foxkids belibed

3- What beer u guys will recommend for october? im already drinking at the moment the sams adams harvest pack thstcinclude- october fest, punking ale, the delicius hazel brown, the grear ruby mild and the disasted 48 latitude...
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
Blackbeltsam

Blackbeltsam here with a quick question:

What do you guys think about Kid Icarus Uprising? Personally, I think it's the best reason to own a 3DS.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi,

Apologies to you guys and The Fowl Sorcerous for usurping the lightning round. I just found it Fun and wanted to try too...

Questions!

1) Panda Bears or Koala Bears?

2) Which of the Seven Lantern Corps do you like the most, in terms of -
-2.1: Power/Ability (Black for me)
-2.2: Oath (Again, Black)
-2.3: Roster (Star Sapphires)

3) A Power Ring from any of the Seven Corps falls into your possession. Can you give three constructs that you would like to create with them?
For me, I would make a 00 Raiser, A Ginormous Tentacle monster with really ginormous tentacles, and if someone were choking me from behind, I would make a duplicate of myself to suplex them from behind.
sakurangel

hi guys, el oso mañoso mexicano esta aqui... first i wanna said to pedro that im sorry for creat nightmare fuel with my last episode introduction question about giga pedozord...

1- is anyone cheaking the Michael J. Fox Show?

2- what is the brand/ company name u see the most in you dvd/blu-ray/ VHS tapes collection? forcmecis bandai entretaiment just follow by paramount

3- Is there any show this season u are looking for the most?

4- Did u ever make sin by combining great tasting beer with some random juice of alcahol berveage? for me i make a great sacrilegius by making a sam adam's heazel brown chelada= the beer+ clamato, lemoj, tajin(chilli powder) and huichol(mexican hot salsa) for spice optional flavor

thanks guys and sorry for the random questions this week, keep the great work and CHRIS... watch out with the man in a can real name cause last episode u named 5 times is danger ok?
Mu La Flaga

Yo gentlemen.
Here is my question what are your thoughts on the Dead Space series as a whole?

I've completed all of 1, will move on to 2 eventually, also have 3, Ignition and Extraction
I really enjoyed Dead Space 1, I F'ing hated Ignition, that game is a POS overly complicated puzzle game.
Extraction is fun, especially when using the Move with it for a rail shooter.

I will look forward to 2 and 3 when I get to play them.
My DS1 loadout, Plasma Cutter, Plasma Rifle, Flamethrower and Line Gun.
Enemies I loathe/hate; Guardians or Brutes.

And finally I have seen Dead Space Downfall the animated movie, which I felt added to the universe.

That is all until next time, Mu.
sakurangel

hi guys just simple and clean cause i dont have anytime to think about a pedobear intro soo time to start...

1- is there any time in the most inexpected place where u see a geek/anime/nerd disccucion in ur life? for me has to be last week in a hen... i mean ECHII site i cant mention if is any kids around. The lelough is alive came back again to strike my mind

2-is there any old mascot of forgot in many cases u will like to see come back with a new game orcat least cameo? for me has to be alex kid

3- with many VG crossover like proyect X zone, dissidia, or even all the cracpom figthing games. what crossovercu like to se happen? for me attack of titan X resident evil... leo will show those sissy nannies how to kill a titan with just a hand gun and a rusty knife

4- is there any furry u like for any reason u can think? example felicia from darkstakers cause why not, pusy cat for everybody and arina from waku waku 7 cause not body rememer her and she is a cute grown up female bunny girl

thanks guys and sorry for the randomnest of my question