Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
CanadaMan

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Good evening eh? How's she goin'? Right on!

I have availed myself of the Otter of Offerings, but now find myself unable to decide what to choose first.

Canadian Thunder Round! (Which do you prefer?)
1) Coffee or tea?
2) Big fake boobs or small natural boobs?
3) Twitter or Facebook?
4) Sam Adams or proper Guinness from the British Isles?
5) Windows OS or Mac OS?
6) -40 Fahrenheit or -40 Celsius?
7) The Otter of Offerings or the Platypus of Podcasting?
8) Christmas turkey or Thanksgiving turkey?
9) Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
10) Death by beer or death by boobs?

So ends the inaugural Canadian Thunder Round, I hope you enjoyed eh?
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Dollow

I have been trying to think of this question the best way I want to say it.

Nintendo has an amazing gaming library that is available on the Nintendo eShop, which is a step up from the shop that was on the Wii, but the problem is that Nintendo still cannot figure out how to do an online store for content on its devices.

The eShop still lacks a Unified User Account System, where your content is tie to account that you can manage and download from, because Nintendo decided to make it so that content is tie to the WiiU/3DS (What happens when your console fails or gets stolen?).

From what I know the content can be transferred by using the content transfer that is on 3DS, but that requires you to already have another 3DS set up to transfer to, where as other companies don’t required that because of unified account systems and the WiiU as far as I know doesn’t even have that between WiiUs, and I know someone personally where for some reason his Nintendo ID was delete when he tried to which to a new WiiU and lose all his games; of which one of them was EarthBound.

My question: Is this okay? As everyone I know, including my friends keep paying for content even when the policies that Nintendo has on its consoles says that if you want to download those games again if something happens to your device, you have to paid for them again.

I and my friend always talk about this, which he does buy content to this day and I don’t give him crap because it is his money, and the themes are as follows below:

1. You should play games, and go where good games are no matter what
Vs.
2. Good games do not excuse bad business policies

I understand by the fact the 3DS has sold millions of units that I am in a minority here, but it is for this reason I do not want to buy a 3DS/WiiU despite the fact they have games I would like to play. I wanted your insight on this, I have my own feeling about this, but I still do question myself because I still try to put myself in others shoes, and maybe things will change; but that is a real hope and dream in my view.

Thank you and sorry for the long question,

Sincerely Yours,

Dollow Rlance

Link from DuelShockers.com & Link from Nintendolife.com

This text was typed by SCE PlayStation Vita.

EDIT (Dec 24, 2014): My friend Blackbelt_sam recently gave me a 2DS for Christmas, which I have thank him for, but I still have no need/will to play it, as of right now it sits in a box in my closet unopened with a copy Pokemon X, and it will sit there for the foreseeable future. Sorry Sam but if you really wanted me to play it, you should have gotten a better game than Pokemon as you know for a fact I will never play a Pokemon game ever again, but I know you don't regret anything so you at least knew what to expect.

I figured I should add this as it seemed relevant to my question.
Last edited by Dollow on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Do you guys feel certain spin-offs or sequels could have been better off as a completely original piece of work instead of relying on the name of a famous piece of work from the past?
For example, Gatchaman Crowds felt it could have still worked fine without the "Gatchaman" part.

2. Who would make a great chef? Pyramid Head from Silent Hill or Nemesis from Resident Evil?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, guys,

I'd like to start by wishing the both of you a Very Happy New Year.

I've recently finished 999 and Virtue's last reward of the Zero Escape series based on your recommendations. I would like to share my experiences with these games along with some questions.

999 is PERFECT. The writing - both the actual text and the plot - is absolutely perfect. The writing and the stills do a great job of painting a picture in your mind. In some parts, I'd say that the English prose is almost Neil Gaiman good. The puzzles are fun, and the interactions with the characters during both the puzzle and novel sequences really helps to immerse you in the game while fleshing them out at the same time. Here's how good the plot was: I got spoilered regarding Zero's real identity while I was checking the Zero escape wiki for one of Junpei's quotes. I got annoyed because of the spoiler, but I played on and got an even bigger revelation in the game regarding Hongou, and the biggest reveal of all regarding the context behind Zero's real identity. The twists were preserved for me even though I got spoilers.

I had a bad first impression with Virtue's last reward because the level design was drastically different from 999: the blue tinge on the walls in the first part of the game was sort of painful on the eyes. I eventually got used to it, though. After the first AB game, the game really took off for me. The game is the absolute master at playing with your expectations. I had a lot of delightful WTF moments when in some points, I would choose Ally and get Betrayed by the opponent, play that thread to the end, then go back and choose betray, only to be F'd over by the fact that the opponent suddenly chose Ally. My reaction was exactly the same as the PCs. The plot is definitely a huge step up over 999's plot, and the plot and the English voice acting do an excellent job in bringing the characters to life.I like Phi(Karen Strassman) and Quark's (Erin Fitzgerald's) performances, but my absolute favorite voice is Luna (Laura Bailey). I liked all of the characters in 999, but I consider VLR to be better with regards to the complexity of the characters. The resolution offered by Virtue's last reward to the Junpei and Akane thread from 999 wasn't what I was hoping for, but I found it apropos and was satisfied nonetheless.

All in all, I love this series. It's officially one of my top three favorite Game Franchises and I'm heavily anticipating the next game. These two are the best games I've ever played on my 3DS, and given the massive improvements VLR made to the absolutely perfect 999, I'm absolutely sure that the Devs will do a great with the next game. Thanks so much to the both of you for introducing me to this wonderful series.

Now, to the actual questions:
1) Can you recommend other DS or 3Ds games that are similar in style and tone if not gameplay to Zero Escape? I've heard comparisons to ace attorney and I've played and enjoyed Ace Attorney's puzzle sequences before, so I'm definitely looking for that. Are there any others?

2) If you had to choose between playing the Nonary game - just the Nonary game, no Ambidex - on either the Necromorph infested Ishimura or the Alien infested Hadley's hope, which would you choose?

3) 999 and VLR each have a Q/A from the director with occasional comments from the translator.
a) What do you think about the info in the Q/As? I find them interesting in that they give insights regarding character motivations and hints for the next Zero escape game.

b) What do you guys think about creator Q/As in general? Do you take them as the truth, or do you disregard them in favor of that which the work actually shows? I have the same position as Zero Escape's creator, in his words - Once a piece of work leaves the hands of a writer, it becomes the reader's work. I.E., in the end, you have to go by what's seen in the actual work especially if what is shown directly contradicts what even the creator said. What about you?

4) What do you think about the concept of Dramatic Irony? A lot of 999 and VLR runs on it, in fact, as I've said, VLR directly plays with Dramatic Irony by making you expect one thing from one thread, and giving you something else in another. The 2nd Hobbit movie also uses Dramatic Irony in a gag with Legolas. Of course, in both cases, the level of DI depended on my experience with the story - in VLR, it depended on the order I played the threads, and in DOS, it depended on my knowledge that in LOTR, Gimli and Legolas will be BFFs. The level may be different or may not even exist for people with a different experience than mine. So, my question is: Do you think Dramatic Irony is something that is purely created by the writers, or it's purely dependent on the audience?

5) What do you think of the idea that one of the benefits of the Star Wars Prequels is that they give the OT more dramatic Irony? I read about this in an old Star Wars insider article. In addition to Vader being Anakin and Luke and Leia being twins, the article makes the point that Alderaan's destruction has more emotional weight than before since we saw Bail in the Prequels, and that the same is true for Vader throwing Palpatine down the shaft because it's the same situation he faced in ROTS. I haven't seen the OT and PT in a while, but I can agree with these two examples. What about you?

Thanks and sorry for the long questions.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Mu La Flaga

Hello CT casters.
Tis Mu with 2 questions for you so here goes.

1.So with most modern consoles allowing you to download or obtain digital titles I've always had a concern in this regard.
To explain with the PSP, it was a simple as downloading the games off the PSN store and on to your memory card, BUT with the PS3 the digital games seem to be tied to the store(so if it goes down you can't play them)

So how do you view digital ownership for games?,
I would hope for Sony and PS3, since it's part of PSN they support it for a while or at least let the PS3 store stay up as a small section of PSN.
The PSP store on PSN is still up to this day.

2.Brief and to the point, favourite video game adds you liked or found funny?
For me, the Super Mario Advance 2 commercial I found hillarious, as well as the add for Super Smash Brothers.

That is all.
Until next itme, Mu.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Urobuchi has been quite the name be it Fate/Zero Madoka Magica Gargantia Psycho Pass and recently Kamen Rider Gaim which involves fruit armored warriors.
With that in mind what do you think his next work will challenge or twist?

2. Who would win, Anti-hulk or Diplomatic Hulk?
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, guys,

I call this the Flash quiz:

1) Crackers or Popcorn?
2) Old School Oven or Microwave?
3) Shaken or Stirred?
4) Who do you prefer: William Shatner or Hayden Christensen?
5) Which three of the following four shows would you like to condemn to hell forever more? The one you didn't select will be the show you watch when the world is about to end and you only have one series left: Voyager, Enterprise, The Newsroom or The Big Bang Theory?
6) Captain Kirk - Any Incarnation - or Han Solo?
7) Tolkien Elves or Vulcans?
8) Arwen - Liv Tyler - or T'Pol - Jolene Blalock?
9) Which would you prefer be used on you - Vulcan Nerve Pinch or Force Choke?
10) Same as 9) except used on someone else?
11) Michael Fassbender or Benedict Cumberbatch?
12) You're bitten by a cobra in your dominant arm. Do you cut the arm off or die of poisoning?

Have fun :)
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
CanadaMan

Hello again eh?

First, congratulations to Sir Cortes for catching the trick question during round 1. -40 Celcius or Fahrenheit is great for beer, not so great for anything else.

Canadian Thunder Round Number Two!

Would you rather be:
1. a Momma's boy or daddy's boy?
2. a noisy gulper or noisy slurper of hot caffeinated beverages?
3. a servant to evil alien overlords or evil robot overlords?
4. an ally to Canada or Australia?
5. facing the Daleks with: David Tennant, Rose Tyler, and Mickey; Matt Smith, Amy and Rory Pond; or Chris Eccleston and Captain Jack Harkness?
6. in runners or sandals?
7. dead from heat exposure, or dead from cold exposure?
8. assisting curmudgeon-y General Neo in his fight against the robots, or assisting SoulBro in his quest to single-handedly save Capcom?
9. born from Yoko Littner or the Major?
10. a tentacle demon infesting any area of your choice, or be powerful and invincible eunuch demon slaughtering wherever and whatever you choose?

Bonus question: have either of you tried real Canadian tree blood a.k.a. maple syrup?

Thank you both for making my commutes and commodes that much better.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
eanetdude

¡Hola!

Here's your premise: J.J. Abrams has decided to only direct one Star Wars film. You are Kathleen Kennedy (and whomever else has input), and you will return to the tradition of the Original Star Wars Trilogy in having a different director for each of the films.

Who do you hire to direct Episode VIII, and who do you hire to direct Episode IX?

If it were up to me, I would hire Joseph Kosinski for Episode VIII and Brad Bird for Episode IX.

(I would also kill ANY spinoff/solo films they're planning for the years in-between Episodes. Or hand them off to Pixar, if Bob Iger remains hell bent on these projects).
Gundam420

Greetings players of the Theater of Chaos!

This may sound like an odd question but being fans of Batman and Spider-Man, do you have any favorite costumes of either character? For Spider-Man, I've always been fond of the Silver Armor and it's a shame it was only used once in the comics. And as new as this one is, I've actually found myself really liking Batman's default suit in Arkham Origins.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Destiny_Gundam

This is in light of your answer to Dollow's question in episode 63 regarding getting gifts.

To put it mildly, my sister is an ungrateful bitch who is never happy with what you give her. Just this past Christmas my aunt had given her a (likely expensive) diamond bracelet and she was not happy about it. Needless to say she's only getting gift cards from now on.

My question for you guys is are there any stand out moments when you were given something you didn't really want, but it meant a lot to you anyways? The same day as the above mentioned incident, my brother (who has special needs) gave me a set of Iron Man, Spiderman, and Captain America bubble bath. Not something I'd ever use, but my brother got them for me because he knows I like comic book movies and that I collect figures. The bottles are shaped like the characters so he thought I could put them up on my shelves. It truely embodies the idea of "it's the thought that counts" and I have them on display in my bathroom.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Do you guys think it is sheer coincidence that Japan starts off the year with two shows that has Oda Nobunaga in it in some shape or form specifically Nobunaga the Fool amd Nobunagun?

2. Much like how Powerpuff Girls Z and the soon to be released Marvel Disk Wars Avengers is an attempt to localize content for a specific country, what do you guys think are the pros and cons and can you think of anything that has succeeded in doing something similar? Also, since they got Wasp on Disk Wars, do you guys think Hank Pym will appear as Loki's brainwashed lackey who gets caned by Loki like how Starscream is caned by his schoolmarm Megatron?

3. Bless us with the name of the actor that would be the perfect Live-action Bizarro opposite to Henry Cavill's Superman.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
eanetdude

What corporate PR phrases annoy you?

One for me is "The views and opinions expressed by [the following people who are obviously employed or are affiliated in some way to us] do not represent [our company and parent corporation]."
Last edited by eanetdude on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daigundam lagaan

It seems that the choice between Ashley and Kaidan on Virmire was too easy for some people, most prominently you two. If instead, certain events led up for you to chose either Wrex or Garrus to sacrifice themselves, who would you save?
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
eanetdude

What do you guys think of seeing a new Star Wars trilogy of Episodes -3, -2, and -1 set thousands of years before the Prequels in a medieval setting with Jedi roaming around on horseback, battling neighboring villages, giant trolls, massive Sith armies like the Battle of Helm's Deep?

I think it would be fascinating to witness the gradual development of modern civilization in the galaxy far far away and the evolution of the light saber.
yazi88

1. Have you guys, probably Pedro, ever heard of the Hyper Dimensionia Neptune games? Its a weird all girl RPG game series where the main female characters cosplay as mecha musume-like characters but also represent game consoles with a lot of in jokes about the gaming industry even stuff like hacking and stuff. There are even mascot characters relating to actual game companies with the recent spin off featuring a Solid Snake spoof that likes to hide in boxes. I also know that are nice figurines of the characters out there...

2. What (older) games can you guys think of that had notorious bad coding either because of lazyness or a rushjob on translation (Suikoden II which was supposedly done in 3 days!). I also know that this is one of the main reasons Suikoden II isn't on PSN cause of its bad coding and I believe it was also a bit similar for Panzer Dragoon Saga but Sega also lost the source code for that. Then again the Sega Saturn from what I've heard was infamous for having rather complex coding for its games.
Robolizard222

Hello Chaos duo!!! With you guys playing Telltale games, what property would you like to see Telltale make a game out of? My pick would be anything Star Trek. Also thank you Pedro for the warm welcome on the other episode by the way. Just like telltale games, "I'll remember this." And Chris remember "Texas" has great steaks!
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Do you guys remember a video game called Konami Krazy Racers? If so, would you like to see a chibi Pyramid Head racing on a go-kart with one hand on the wheel and the other holding his sword? They had Cyborg Ninja Gray Fox in the GBA one so I think it could work out.

2. Will we ever get Hatercast II: Death Force?

3. You are captured by HYDRA. Your only saving grace is to get 100 on a Karaoke machine while tying to reach 10000 on a pedometer. Your choice of music is one of the following songs:

1) Step By Step by New Kids on the Block
2) Gangnam Style by Psy
3) Ave Maria
4) Thuggish Ruggish Bone by Bone Thugs n Harmony
5) Merciless Soldier by Hironobu Kageyama

Which do you choose to gain salvation?
zero_the_masked_knight

H, Gus,

Apologies for my last tl:dr submission. I'll keep your comments in mind when making future submissions. The short version: I really enjoyed both 999 and VLR and am grateful to the both of you for introducing it to me.

Now, enjoy the next even more sadistic flash quiz!

1) Hotdogs or hamburgers?
2) Buttered Corn or Buttered Rice?
3) Grapes or Olives?
4) Full Body Massage or Jacuzzi bath?
5) Incense or soothing new age music?
6) Snoopy or Snowy from Tintin?
7) Snorlax or Totoro?
8) Which do you like more: Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome?
9) Your Favorite Final Fantasy theme?
10) Your favorite John Williams theme from the Star Wars Saga?
11) Your preferred lightsaber color?
12) Who would you like to see the most in Princess Leia's Bikini?
13) Shatner's KHAAAN!, Darth Vader's NOOOO! JAY-SOONN?! or SHAUUUUNNN!! You can only give each of them once. Which of the above four sounds would you:
a) Like to banish from the Earth Forever more?
b) Prefer to hear on infinite loop while you're locked in a coma for one year?
c) Prefer to hear for one month while having your post coma checkup?
d) Prefer to hear for one week after getting out of the hospital?

Have fun!
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
eanetdude

What are your thoughts on the home entertainment industry's latest gimmicks of 4K televisions and film transfers, as well as Samsung's curved televisions that Sir Bay so wonderfully marketed? To me, they seem like neat concepts for the wealthy that will inevitably die off before the price points for them are able to reach ordinary consumers and the industry moves on to other gimmicks such as the D-Box motion seating.

Also, why the hell are we still buying physical home video and games on discs instead of faster and more durable data cards or thumb drives? Seems like a no brainer to me.