Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
yazi88

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

I got a video game related question:

Since Arc System Works is making a Persona 4 fighting game that no one saw coming, my question to you guys is that are there any games of any franchises/IPs you guys can think of with the right developer in mind that could make a pretty good or at least decent fighting game? Please name a developer that hopefully isn't Capcom cause like General Hate I got nothing but hate and disdain for Crapcom.

I personally think a fighting game based of the characters of the Nippon Ichi's Disgaea series done by Arc System Works could make a great fighting game and it will also be full of in-game jokes that also break the fourth wall.
snoops619

Hey guys, haven't written in for a while but I want to thank you for your continual production of a quality show.
This may have been asked before but did you guys play L.A. Noire and what did you think of it?
Thanks again. Peace!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
NastyNate

What characters would you like to see in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale?

Chris are there any spiderman games that you liked?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
mobiusdiablo

Do you find certain types or genres of games to be difficult for you, or perhaps some that you seem to have a talent with? I myself have discovered I'm pretty much horrible at fighting or FPS games, but things like RPGs come easily to me.

Likewise, what would be some of the hardest RPGs you've tackled? Did any result in gnashing of teeth and innocent controllers being destroyed? Personally, I find the Shin Megami Tensei series to have an air of difficulty - relying on your party AI for most of the time, until recent incarnations and the sheer length of the stories makes it difficult to keep up with sometimes. Not to mention the Atlus-required 'screw up once and you're boned' difficulty.

Do you think controls and battle systems should be simple and intuitive, or large and complex, allowing unique approaches to gameplay at the risk of being unwieldy? I think that the battle systems of things like Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Age present a novel approach to RPGs, and kills the 'shitty AI partner' excuse, while other, faster paced games should have simpler controls.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Effect

Very good show. Just started watching with episode 30 and wish I had started a lot sooner even after being a long time listener of Gundamn. I really enjoyed the Spider-man film discussion but something stood out to me. When people talk about the resurgence of superhero films everyone talks about Spider-man and X-men. Sadly people always seem to ignore the Blade films.

I can't help but compare them at times to the Spider-man films in that the first two films are really good, with the second being the best. The third however being the trainwreck. However unlike Spider-man 3 I can still enjoy Blade 3 and don't cringe at it the way I do Spider-man 3.

I was wondering if either of you two had watched them? What are your thoughts on them? Do they hold up? The fights? Etc?
Last edited by Effect on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
majorshatz

First time using the mailbag.
I was wondering if y'all enjoy martial arts anime, manga, movies, etc, and if so do you prefer the more serious series/movies or the off the wall things like Kong Fu Hustle.
Personally I'm more off the wall kind of guy. I'm currently reading Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School and if the name doesn't give it away, it's pretty weird.
Looking forward to hear what yall think and keep up the good work.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.” Benny Hill
snoops619

Hey guys. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the current anime-only arc of Fairy Tail (Key of the Starry Sky arc). Are you enjoying it or do you just see it as pointless filler. Though I'm enjoying it, I can't wait for it to be over and for them to start the Grand Magic Games arc. Thanks for the show, keep it up!
mobiusdiablo

Random thought - Mass Effect meets... LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. Your thoughts.

Also, I recall hearing Chris having some feelings about certain video game companies way back in the Save or Troll special. So, I ask of you now - Out of

Konami
EA
Bamco and
Square Enix

to whom do you grant salvation, and to whom do you condemn to death - and why?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

Hey guys, I have returned.
And I have a question at least this time, so here it is.

What are your thoughts on Emulators and ROMs and putting aside the legal aspect of them.
It's been a thing that can be argued that some games could quite easily be lost in time with the decline of arcades.
MAME was made apparently in large part to digitally preserve the game software themselves 100%.
Since apparently the arcade cabinets hard disk drives have a limited battery life and once it goes the entire thing goes with it.

So from that aspect and as someone who is an aficionado of arcades, I can appreciate the idea MAME was set up for, being to digitally preserve the games as they worked in arcades.

I've mentioned in the past Aliens vs Predator Capcom side scrolling beat em up springs to mind along with others for example Armored Warriors.

There are sides who argue for and against ROMs and Emulators/Emulation.
I want to support the industry where I can, but then there is also really bad stuff, such as you guys have mentioned Turtles in Time Remake, they shouldn't have done that.

So what are your opinions on this stuff?
Thanks guys, look forward to your answers.

PS: On a note, I say sorry usually because hey I try to be considerate and not drop 10-12 questions on you guys in one go, unlike some people do, I set a limit.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flame-X

YO!

1. Chris, tell us your favorite Queen's Blade character. Pedro feel free to answer.

2. Is there any anime, game, or movie characters you would like to own as a figurine?

3. Now that both of you have steam accounts, do you guys play any free-to-play games like Team Fortress 2? I would like to co-op or face both of you one of these days.

Thanks for answering.
The Fowl Sorcerous

lightning round the seventh:

nitpicky comments or editorialized q&a submissions?
Breaking Bad or Mad Men?
Scarface or the Godfather?
Flying Spaghetti monster or Invisible Pink Unicorn?
rpgamer.com or rpgfan.com?
cartoon network or nickelodeon?
mass effect or dragon age?
dragon quest or final fantasy?
tales or SMT?
ninjas or pirates?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Turn-A Binker

I want to follow up on your discussion on Blade Runner, but with more specifically, author Philip K. Dick.

I wanted to ask about the other famous movie based on Philip K. Dick's work; Total Recall (the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger film, NOT the Colin Farrell, please don't talk about that one), based on Dick's "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale". Just like your discussion on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"-"Blade Runner; what is your POV on both the book and the film? Or, are you planning on giving the same episode discussion treatment for Total Recall, like you did for Blade Runner?

The second question is Dick's other works, the ones that haven't been adapted into film; what of his other works do you want to see as a film, TV, etc. and why?

The other question is on the author himself; every writer, like any director, bases his writing on his beliefs, and for Dick, his themes shared throughout his books has been on how much is the measure of mankind, what is reality, freewill, etc. Can you give your thoughts on what Dick was probably basing his work on, and what messages, feelings, he was trying to say and make readers feel from his works?

PS if any of these questions leads to an episode instead of answering them on the mailbag, I'll understand.
snoops619

This has probably been asked before but which one of the Studio Ghibli films is your favourite? Are there any in particular you dislike?
Neorecon19

A couple of questions for Chris and Pedro;

1) After listening recently listening to your episode on Doctor Who, I have become interested in watching the show. As you are both quite knowledgeable on the show, where in the overall series would you suggest someone who has never seen the show to begin?

2) What is you opinion on Baccano!? I found it to be an enjoyable and energetic show, although the way they would sometimes bounce around from character to character, and would randomly go to different periods of time felt scattered and occasionally confusing.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Not much for you guys this time but here is something fun, it's time to hand out some hate.

1.Which of these movie entries do you guys think did more damage to it's respective movie series at the time?
A)Batman and Robin.
B)Spider-man 3
C)X-Men: The Last Stand

So have at it gentlemen.

2.Also this one goes out to Chris more but Pedro is welcome to add in also.
Have you played the infamous entry "Yakuza Fury"
It seems to be an odd non-canon 2.5D game where you roam the city in more side scrolling element beating people up and it's made by Virgin Interactive, I had the misfortune of encountering it and trading the POS back to the store from whence I found it :P
So got any thoughts on it?(hatefilled or otherwise)

That is all just dropping an entry in for the mailbag, look forward to your answers and thanks as always gentlemen and keep up the entertaining podcast.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoops619

Hey guys, great show as always. I have a question for you and it is as follows:

Doctor Who?

Just kidding, I was wondering it you guys read any comics (web or ink-and-paper)? If so, which ones? Do you have any recommendations?
Dollow

You have mention the Lunar series by GameArts would you talk a little about your experiences/involvement with the two main games. (F**k the Dragon Song)
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
The Fowl Sorcerous

why not zoidberg?
[[lorem ipsum]]
NastyNate

Have you guys seen the movie John Carter? It is a really good movie and I think it would fit in great with a discussion on this show.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
mobiusdiablo

Question for Pedro, since he is not on Gundamn!:

What are your thoughts on Gundam rAGE/sAGE/garbAGE?
From 00 S2 ep 25