Randomly getting "Banned by IP" messages?

Rules, forum announcements and tech support can be found here.

Moderators: ShadowCell, Cardi Doorl, SNT1, mcred23, VR7, EZero8, Fritz Ashlyn

Seto Kaiba
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

Randomly getting "Banned by IP" messages?

Post by Seto Kaiba » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am

Got a bit of a surprise about 30 minutes ago when I switched off the WiFi on my tablet and MechaTalk switched from displaying the forums normally to informing me that a permanent ban had been issued on my IP address.

I was pretty sure I hadn't done anything to get in trouble, so I tried switching the WiFi back on and the site loaded up just fine. I tried my cell phone, and sure enough it loads fine until I turn off the WiFi and then I get a message from phpBB telling me my IP address is permanently banned. It seems like any device I have that's using Verizon's mobile network for data service is operating in an IP range that's been banned on these forums.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...

Chris
Bald Wizard

Re: Randomly getting "Banned by IP" messages?

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:28 pm

You didn't do anything, and you're not the first person today to report this. I'm looking into it.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006

yazi88
OMG Doomsday Laser

Post by yazi88 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 pm

I had the same problem when I use my phone not on Wifi and I have Sprint... happened to me a number of times last week.

But I didn't have that problem today. Good to hear its being looked into.

Chris
Bald Wizard

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 am

Since multiple people have been affected by this issue and IP bans aren't really all that useful, I decided to simply clear the entire banned IP list.
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
Nintendo Network: mariomsz006