Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

My friend and I have finally got off our lazy butts and started doing a podcast about Gundam and Mecha in general. Since "00" was starting we wanted the show to coincide with the run of the show, as we review and discuss how the show is progressing as well as talk about Gundam and other mecha series in general. Not to mention related topics.

MAHQ is one of our inspirations for our podcast show "Gundamn!" as well, and since we started this, I'll be posting topics that we'll be talking about in future episodes for input so we can add it to the conversation, as well as mention the contributors that gave input on the subject. MAHQ gets mad love from us, especially since some of the people that run it come from the same place we do - America's wang.

Anyway, if you have time download & check out the the first episode here. And if you have time, let us know how we can improve Gundamn! or what you thought of it, at least, here in this thread. Our website is on MySpace (until we can afford a real one), but in a conscious effort to stay on the good side of the admins here, I'll refrain from linking it, until we find out if it's okay. It's not a personal site, however, but if you want to find it in the meantime, just search for "Gundamn" under "Name" in the Search section.

Also the content of the show should be no more extreme than borderline PG / PG-13. We're trying really hard to keep this one clean so that most can enjoy it. BTW, I edited a few sound clips with audio clips from "Mobile Suit Gundam" a la "Toonami" style after the first and third segments ( @ 27:54 & 66:09) over some instrumentals. You might like or dislike it, but regardless, hit me with your honesty. ^_^

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it,
Soul Bro Ryu
---------------------------------------------
Episode Selection (Right-Click & Save)
---------------------------------------------
01. Premiere Episode!!! (October 12, 2007)
- Thoughts on the pilot episode of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00".
- What can be done to increase the popularity of Gundam in the US?
- Not-to-Be-Missed Obscure Mecha Anime!

02. Zeta, Macross, and AU (October 28, 2007)
- Thoughts on "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation".
- "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross" - A History.
- Alternate Universe Gundam - Worst to Best!

03. 00, Books & The Future of Mecha Anime! (November 6, 2007)
- Review of Episodes 02-04 of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00"
- Mecha-in-Print: Manga & Novelizations of Mecha Series.
- The Future of Mecha Anime

04. Makin' Waves & Gundam in Video Gaming (November 20, 2007)
- Makin' Waves! - The Greatest Women in Gundam (Extended Segment)
- Welcome to the Adventure!, Vol. 001- Gundam in Video Gaming
Ep. 004 - Unplugged Version

05. Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Month Two, Newtypes & Mailbag Vol. 1 (December 5, 2007)
- Wrap-Up of Episode 5 - 8 for "Mobile Suit Gundam 00"
- Welcome to the Evolution: Dissection of the Newtype
- "Gundamn! @ MAHQ!" Mailbag Vol. 1
Ep. 005 - Unplugged Version

06. Holidays of Steel, VOTOMS & Mecha-On-Film (January 2, 2008)
- Holidays of Steel: Gift Ideas for the Mecha Fan
- Anime Spotlight: VOTOMS
- Mecha-on-Film: Past, Present & Future Live-Action Adaptations
Ep. 006 - Unplugged Version

07. 00: Month Three, Macross Frontier, Super Tomino Wars! (Part One) (January 15, 2008)
- "MSG00: Month Three" - The saga of 00 continues with Eps. 9-12
- "Return to Macross" - Sneak-Peek of the pilot episode of Macross Frontier
- "Super Tomino Wars I" - finally we start our two-part roundtable on the "Bald Wizard" himself, Yoshiyuki Tomino, rapping about his Gundam series.
Ep. 007 - Unplugged Version

08. The Showkiller!: SEED, Megazone 23 & Super Tomino Wars! (Part Two) (February 2, 2008)
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED & How to Fix it!
- Anime Spotlight: "Megazone 23"
- "Super Tomino Wars II" - The Non-Gundam Series!
Ep. 008 - Unplugged Version

Also, you can find "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:18 am, edited 14 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Hyakushiki

Nice to hear your're busy I loved your AMV's on YouTube, the music in your podcast awesome as usual. You guys sound like my buddies talking, I got into anime and mecha much the same way as you guys. I think you got something good here keep doing what you do man.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Soul Bro Ryu

Thanks for the encouragement, man. Didn't know that anyone here had seen any of my AMVs either. I'll make sure to send you a message when I finish my next one to see what you think of it. ^_^

If Neo & I talking reminds you of you and your friends than I know we're on the right track with Gundamn! Thanks again for going through the trouble of listening, your input is priceless.
Soul Bro Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

just wanted to say that I'm the other half of Gundamn.

Check us out and let know what you think.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
wonton bob

Great show. Very informative and entertaining also the music in the background is great. When's the next show?

Laughed my butt off when Charlie Murphy talked about the slap and you played the Bright slapping Amuro clip.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Soul Bro Ryu

Thanks for listening! ^_^

Next episode will be on deck either tonight or tomorrow evening. Just have to put the finishing touches on it and piece it all together. Thanks for the complements on the post production too, piecing those sound bites together is a lot of fun and I hope to become more masterful at it in time.

I'll post on this thread with the link to the new episode as soon as it's up.

SBR
Soul Bro Ryu
Soul Bro Ryu

Episode 002 - Zeta, Macross, and AU! (Remastered, 10-31-07)
(Right-Click & Save)

Finally, two days later than I promised and wrestling with Audition, Episode 2 of Gundamn! is up! In this one, we discuss "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation", the series of "Macross", and the Alternate Universes of Gundam - Worst to Best!

Let us know what you think!
Gundamn(at)cfl.rr.com

Peace,
SBR
Soul Bro Ryu
Soul Bro Ryu

For those that actually enjoy the audio mash-ups featured during episodes of "Gundamn!", check out "Garma Strikes!", the official music site for those tracks. Listen to the ones you like and find out what was sampled to make them. Currently featured on "Garma Strikes!" are:

- "The BrightSlap" (premiered in Episode 001)
- "The God of War" (premiered in Episode 002)
- "Seattle Sabotage" (premiered in Episode 002)
- "Interlude to Battle" (premiered in Episode 001)

If you have a moment, let me know what you think of them. I have a long way to go when it comes to splicing audio together, but I've improved a little bit since I started over a year ago. Creative criticism is much appreciated.

More to come next week when the next "Gundamn!" sorties!
Soul Bro Ryu
Soul Bro Ryu

Although we have a handful of listeners (that we know of - our download of the first ep is well over 200 hits, ironically), receiving mail from anyone is golden. Tell a friend about us and if you have any thoughts and ideas on how the show can be improved let us know here. Whoever does will get a name drop at the end of the show - if we had prizes to give out, we would, but a mention right now is a start at least. ^_^

If you're feeling really daring, record up to 5 minutes about your opinion on something mecha related and send it to us in MP3 format (128 kbps, CBR), and we'll put it in the show! Keep it clean though, or at least avoid the s-word & f-word if at all possible.

Send any audio submissions to Gundamn(at)cfl.rr.com

Look forward to hearing your input,
SBR
Soul Bro Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

just want to thank you to all those who having been downloading Gundamn. Thanks for the support and let us know what you think.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

Gundamn! - Episode 003
00, Books & The Future of Mecha Anime!
(Right-Click & Save!)

The third episode has sortied! In this installment:
- Review of Episodes 02-04 of "Mobile Suit Gundam 00"
- Mecha-in-Print: Manga & Novelizations of Mecha Series.
- The Future of Mecha Anime

Thanks for listening, and hit us up with feedback at Gundamn(at)cfl.rr.com!

Also, this episode features "Watch Out!" (@ 31:27), a mash-up track by none other than Tony Bacala - music producer whose well known for mixing music & sound-bites together, especially from "Transformers". This particular song not only has samples from "Transformers: The Movie" (1986 Version) but also features music from none other than "Jem & the Holograms". I wish I could claim that I made this, but I aspire to create mix tracks that are on this level someday. Consider it a bonus to all the listeners, especially those form the "Me" generation. ^_^

If you like that song, look for more at Tony Bacala's MySpace and on the forums at his Transformers website, TFW2005.com!

Enjoy, gang!
Soul Bro Ryu
VentZX

Just listened to the show and good stuff all around. It's really cool to actually hear other people talk about Gundam. The audio mash ups are also good fun. Personally, the Ramba Ral and Bright Slap ones have been my favorite.

Of course, I have a few things to say. The Gundam 00 discussion was nice to hear as always, but one thing caught my ear, specifically because it has been discussed at length and often shot down. Other than the bishonen designs, there's nothing about Billy and Graham to suggest they have a yaoi relationship. There was that one questionable translation, but it was proven to be completely wrong without a shadow of a doubt. If anything, Graham has been consistently portrayed as being infatuated with the Gundam Exia itself. I liken his character to a charismatic player chasing after a woman playing hard to get, the woman being Exia. Other than that, I'm also enjoying the series very much so far and I look forward to more discussion.

You guys also talked about Gundam literature in episode 3. I highly suggest continue reading Ecole du Ciel. It's released up to volume 6 here in the states, and the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. Not to mention that it indeed has a main female protagonist. Other than that, I had always been interested in Gundam the Origin but never checked it out. I'll have to find a way to read that and the novel as well.

Now a bit of constructive criticism. :twisted: It's nothing serious, as the audio is usually strong, but there are times where your voices fade in and out and it gets a little difficult to hear. This is also with my PSP's volume at max. Other than that, the format is unique, almost reminiscent of a radio show. Keep up the good work.

As for topics, I'm sure you have some planned, but I have a few suggestions. What are your favorite mechanical designers and, likewise, which series have your favorite designs? How do the designs of the mechs fit in to the overall enjoyment of a particular series? Also, since Gundam 00 is a current hot topic, perhaps you could specifically touch on those designs. Specifically, are they too different, or are they a welcome breath of fresh air from Kunio Okawara's increasingly stale designs from Seed and Destiny.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode. BTW, I'm a dude. ha!
Hyakushiki

Yeah good stuff indeed, I checked out Tony Bacala's page, very impressive. Anyway I dropped you a line at your E-mail address yesterday, I just forgot to include my username so if you get something from Yahoo mail that was me.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Soul Bro Ryu

VentZX wrote:Just listened to the show and good stuff all around. It's really cool to actually hear other people talk about Gundam. The audio mash ups are also good fun. Personally, the Ramba Ral and Bright Slap ones have been my favorite.

Of course, I have a few things to say. The Gundam 00 discussion was nice to hear as always, but one thing caught my ear, specifically because it has been discussed at length and often shot down. Other than the bishonen designs, there's nothing about Billy and Graham to suggest they have a yaoi relationship. There was that one questionable translation, but it was proven to be completely wrong without a shadow of a doubt. If anything, Graham has been consistently portrayed as being infatuated with the Gundam Exia itself. I liken his character to a charismatic player chasing after a woman playing hard to get, the woman being Exia. Other than that, I'm also enjoying the series very much so far and I look forward to more discussion.

You guys also talked about Gundam literature in episode 3. I highly suggest continue reading Ecole du Ciel. It's released up to volume 6 here in the states, and the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. Not to mention that it indeed has a main female protagonist. Other than that, I had always been interested in Gundam the Origin but never checked it out. I'll have to find a way to read that and the novel as well.

Now a bit of constructive criticism. :twisted: It's nothing serious, as the audio is usually strong, but there are times where your voices fade in and out and it gets a little difficult to hear. This is also with my PSP's volume at max. Other than that, the format is unique, almost reminiscent of a radio show. Keep up the good work.

As for topics, I'm sure you have some planned, but I have a few suggestions. What are your favorite mechanical designers and, likewise, which series have your favorite designs? How do the designs of the mechs fit in to the overall enjoyment of a particular series? Also, since Gundam 00 is a current hot topic, perhaps you could specifically touch on those designs. Specifically, are they too different, or are they a welcome breath of fresh air from Kunio Okawara's increasingly stale designs from Seed and Destiny.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode. BTW, I'm a dude. ha!
LMAO! I had a feeling, but thanks for the confirmation ^_^

The audio has been an ongoing battle, fighting with the levels of the music and even more so the consistency of our voices. The mixer we have is really old and we'll be in the market for a new one soon, but in the meantime, we've been monitoring the levels of our voices when we speak into our respective mics, sometimes being guilty of having them too far away from our mouths when we talk. It's tough trying to keep a balance of keeping our voices up but not talking too loud to cause audio bleeding. When we get a new mixer, that suould solve a lot of our headaches with vocal volume. In the meantime, I'll try to make every word dechiperable in post-production so that the background music dosen't drown it out. Afterall, if our words can't be heard, what's the point? ^_^

Your topic suggestions are awesome and we'll definetly bring up the topic of our favorite designs in a future episode, if not the next one. There's no doubt that we know who Okawara is, and we agree, it's time that another designer to come in to shake things up, like in Zeta Gundam. If I remember right, the designer from Five Star Stories was the one that did most of the design for the Zeta itself, and it remains my favorite Gundam to this day. As for the show with my personal fav designs, I'll leave that as a secret until we record that episode. :P

Thanks for the comments about the music tracks and I hope to improve with the creation of each one, much like I said to another listener in e-mail, I definitely need formal training in Audition in the future so I can redo those tracks and have them sound perfect. Ultimately I'd like to do what my man Tony Bacala does with Gundam and other mecha shows like he does with Transformers and misc series. That Jem track he did is banannas!

The Graham controversy is definetly hearsay, but after watching tow different translations of that episode and seeing reletively the same thing, it makes me wonder at least. I had suspicions, but it could be nothing more than rampant speculation that is making me think that. However, if it is true, it would be monumental and make girls go nuts. O_o

I need to read more of Ecole, only having read vols. 1&2. If you can find Origin, by all means check it out, and even more so, read the novel "Mobile Suit Gundam: Awakening, Escalation, and Confrontation" if you haven't. You'll thank us when you do, that book is insane and the best piece of Gundam-related literature out in the US today.

Wish I had more time, but I'll add to this when I get a chance later (probably when I get off work). Endless thanks for the input and I hope you keep listening to Gundamn!
Soul Bro Ryu
Chris
Administrator

For those who haven't read the news on the main site, MAHQ is teaming up with Gundamn! to present Gundamn! @ MAHQ. The show won't be changing at all, but I'll be joining as a co-host in December. Right now, this thread will serve as a temporary home for everything relating to the podcast. We're still working out some details, but eventually the podcast will have its own section on the forum. Keep watching this thread for more details.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zangetsu

Awsome show guys. Can't wait for episode 4. Something I would lkike to see is a descusion for Gundam/ Mecha Games and American Mecha Shows like Big-O.
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
neoei3318

Love what you guys are doing with Gundamn! keep it up!

If you wanna show some love for Z Gundam's design, direct it to Kazumi Fujita. Compared to other designers from the golden age of real robot anime, he remains kinda obscure, but he gets principle design credit for the Zeta. Kunio Okawara gets credit for the transformation. Fujita also designed the MSK-008 Dijeh, the Psyco Gundam Mark II, the Gaplant, the Byalant, the Palace Athene and the Messala (among others).

Mamoru Nagano designed the Argama, the Rick Dias, the Galbaldy β, the Qubeley and the Hyaku Shiki (along with Fujita). Everybody worked together on several of the MS designs including Makoto Kobayshi.

Nagano-san gets mad props for his work on Heavy Metal L-Gaim. He did mecha and chara designs.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to toss in my two cents for who did what in ZG's design. Anywhoo, Gundamn! rocks!
neoei3318

correction, Nagano and Fujita collabo'ed on the Hyaku Shiki. All the other MS I listed under Nagano, he did solo.
Soul Bro Ryu

Thanks for the heads up on the genious behind the design of the Zeta Gundam! Now I'll have to look up Fujita's works in other shows to see what else he might have drawn that I've enjoyed watching. Fujita & Nagano need to team up again for another Gundam series (like Unicorn if they decide to animate it), and if they do, I'll be first in line to watch it.

Although Zeta is my fav Gundam series, and also my one when it comes to designs (mecha & character), it still isn't the series with my favorite designs of all time. Can't wait to talk about this when Neo and I record next week. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
Skippy438

Just listened to all 3 eps back to back, great stuff! I too love the mixes of Gundam background music behind the conversation. As a mecha fan whose friends hate mecha anime it's cool to finally hear people talking about it out loud instead of just reading forum posts. I'll definitely hit up the email with any show topics I think of. Keep it up, can't wait for the next ep!