Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Have you guys thought any about video recording your next live podcast in August?
As much as we would love to do something like that, don't think its in the plans this year. Maybe in the future.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Vent Noir

Might sound like I'm blowing my own horn given that I started the thread, but given that the discussion in the "Ages of Mecha Anime" thread has been quite interesting IMHO, I'd be interested to hear you guys' thoughts on the subject.
mutantshark

Seeing as how you guys already have a taste for crappy UK Gundam Wing toy commercials, heres another one (hope nobody posted this before).
Where's the passion, where's the lump in my throat?
wraith1701

8) Hey Gundamn crew-

Just wanted to drop a line letting y'all know how much I appreciate your podcast. After discovering podcasts, I spent several months searching for a Mecha-specific 'cast, and had zero luck-- I had to settle for Podcast DX and the occasional bone thrown out by anime themed podcasts like Fast Karate and Anime World Order. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy those podcasts, but they tend to cover a wide variety of topics, touching on Gundam and Mecha only once in a blue moon.

I had given up on the hope of ever finding a Mecha podcast, until I decided to end my mahq sabbatical and droped by the forum. Imagine my suprise when I saw a section devoted to a Gundam Podcast! I was cautiously optimistic when I downloaded my first episode, and after listening, I was pleasantly suprised!

You guys are doing an outstanding job! You have a good rapport with one another, and your interplay feels very natural and relaxed. I enjoy the unabashed love you guys obviously have for the Gundam franchise, and for Mecha anime in general. It is also very clear that y'all know what you're talking about; your combined knowledge of Gundam and other Mecha anime is impressive.

The podcast is also very well produced. The background music and the mash-up style songs and soundclips that you guys play during the breaks are great. I especially like the inclusion of Florida Evan's famous line from "Good Times"- "Damn, Damn, DAMN!" ( Sad episode, but funny clip).

One suggestion: Could you guys consider including a segment going over Gundam and other Mecha anime merchandise? Maybe do a review of new model kits or toys? Gunpla pretty much goes hand-in-hand with Gundam fandom, and I'm confident that many of your other listeners would enjoy a Mecha-Merch review.

Anyway, I'm sure that you guys are getting tired of me stroking your collective egos, so I'll wrap it up for now. Keep up the great work; I'm looking forward to the next episode!

-Eric
NastyNate

Hey gundamn I was wanting to know if you guys will be discussing the lattest gundam mission to rise info stated on gunata. I don't know if they are just going to keep it as a short 5 minute film or if they will make an actual movie about it. I have seen the video and it is awsome. Do you guys know any details on this?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Chris
Administrator

wraith1701 wrote:One suggestion: Could you guys consider including a segment going over Gundam and other Mecha anime merchandise? Maybe do a review of new model kits or toys? Gunpla pretty much goes hand-in-hand with Gundam fandom, and I'm confident that many of your other listeners would enjoy a Mecha-Merch review.
This is one of the most commonly suggested subjects, so we do plan on getting around to it at some point.

NastyNate wrote:Hey gundamn I was wanting to know if you guys will be discussing the lattest gundam mission to rise info stated on gunata. I don't know if they are just going to keep it as a short 5 minute film or if they will make an actual movie about it. I have seen the video and it is awsome. Do you guys know any details on this?
I doubt it. It's a 3 minute short film produced almost 10 years ago to mark the 20th anniversary of Gundam, so it's hardly worth mentioning at all. I really doubt anything special will ever be done with it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Magnus

I just wanted to echo other things already said. First, thank you thank you thank you! It still blows my mind that there's even a Gundam-themed podcast in existence. Gundam doesn't have the hugest following in the 'States to begin with and even in the sphere of the www mechatalk is almost a rarity. So for a few Gundam fans (who have great communication skills, I might add) to put together a podcast that delivers news, reviews, and convention content is simply fantastic!

The other thing I wanted to echo is that I, too, wouldn't mind hearing more information/reviews about Gundam merchandise. Gunpla, certainly, but mention of less well-known merchandise would be cool

Keep it up, guys, we all appreciate it!
goufx

why not talk about full metal panic for the next episode ryu?
Kavik Ryx

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this, and I'm too lazy right now to search through 12 pages to find out, but is there any consideration on doing a segment on the villains of Gundam?
Areku

Kavik Ryx wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this, and I'm too lazy right now to search through 12 pages to find out, but is there any consideration on doing a segment on the villains of Gundam?
I think that's a good idea, although I think it has already been brought up. Not certain on that. However, I think that would be best if reserved until the end of the upcoming Roundup series, that way discussion can focus solely on the villains themselves without hand-holding for those who haven't seen the respective series.
goufx

ryx, i have to agree, the idea of a segment on the villians is a great idea. :D
Kavik Ryx

Well, what can I say. Many a times, villains are what hold the plot together. Theres a reason my favorite characters in all anime are Gendo Ikari, Char Aznable, and Light Yagami.
goufx

code geass

hey guys, 'nother suggestion for you. just like you guys did for gundam 00 season 1, why not give updates on the code geass episodes commin' out for season 2? at least until season 2 of 00 comes out. oh, can't wait for 00 season 2, later guys. :)

oh, and ryx, you got a point, well, ya have my vote. ;)
Areku

Out of fairness, villains were brought up by SOCL back on page 3, which was immediately followed by a response from Neo.
goufx

mmmm. still, it is a good idea, no matter who came up with it.
Darth Nader

Wanted to drop a suggestion or two (hope I'm not repeating any from others. If so, forgiveness please):

1) CGI, particularly in mecha series - What do you think of the representation of mecha in terms of design, animation and realism in cgi renders for anime nowadays. Macross F, Votoms: Pailisen Files, MS IGLOO, etc...with these series using CGI for their portrayal of mecha, do you think they are equal/better/worse than a more traditional representation?

2) Politics in Gundam - with a series that has had such a level of political drama throughout its incarnations, how well do you think MS Gundam has represented real world events/situations and politics, both past and present. Also, past/current events that you think would be well represented in Gundam.

3) Simple one...favorite and least favorite deaths in Gundam (any series)

Looking forward to hearing more the the podcast thats funkier that Louie Anderson's draws...
"Camille Bidan, heading out."

Darth Nader - Steam Community Page
Vent Noir

Re: code geass

goufx wrote:hey guys, 'nother suggestion for you. just like you guys did for gundam 00 season 1, why not give updates on the code geass episodes commin' out for season 2? at least until season 2 of 00 comes out. oh, can't wait for 00 season 2, later guys. :)

oh, and ryx, you got a point, well, ya have my vote. ;)
What about covering Macross Frontier?

Which makes me think... have you guys done a show on Macross yet?

Another idea... how about a hypothetical scenario where, say, Cartoon Network was going to run a Gundam marathon, and asked you to pick out one episode from every Gundam series (from original to 00) to showcase... what episodes would you pick?
Chris
Administrator

At least a few of the things mentioned here are things that we've already covered or said we're going to cover, so people should really look at the show notes before posting repetitive ideas.

-We've already covered Macross in past segments, including one devoted to Frontier episode 1 (Deculture Edition). Episode 14 will contain coverage on Frontier episodes 1-4.

-We've already stated in past episodes that we're going to be covering Code Geass R2 as well. Seeing as how the 4th episode just aired, we need enough time to pass for us to have enough to discuss.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
goufx

ok, sorry, i didn't see the show notes of R2. hey chris, did you see the message i sent you? if so, please reply. thanks.
NastyNate

Is there any way you guys would go into detail about ZZ gundam in a show.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ