Ep. 162 - Great Tournament, Great Experience

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 162 - Great Tournament, Great Experience

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 162 - "Great Tournament, Great Experience"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 145 min., 22 sec. (2:25:22) - 66.7 MB

Episode Summary:
In this episode, we return to Gundam Build Fighters Try and close out our thoughts on the series! Then, recorded live from the Florida Anime Experience 2015, is our Mecha Anime Confidential Panel hosted by Soul Bro Ryu & Doctor from the Ass Backward Anime Podcast!

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News/The Old Timey Drama Hour"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:29:18

02. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:29:18 - 0:30:08

03. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:30:08 - 0:31:20

04. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Gundam Build Fighters Try Halftime Report - Eps. 14-25" (TV Series, 2014)
Runtime: 0:31:20 - 1:15:27

05. Mech Talks! (Podcast) (Also Watch on YouTube!)
Runtime: 1:15:27 - 1:15:58

06. "#ExVsTheGundamnation - Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost Nights!" (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:15:58 - 1:17:37

07. 2nd Segment: "Mecha Anime Confidential @ Florida Anime Experience 2015 w/ @SoulBroRyu & @SSAAPodcast (Download Slideshow Here!)
Runtime: 1:17:37 - 2:17:10

08. "Dudes' Flight Out!" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 2:17:10 - 2:20:22

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:20:22 - 2:25:22

Ask Gundamn or Leave a message:
Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Feedback & Social Networking:
- E-Mail: GundamnMAHQ(NoSpam)@gmail.com
- Twitter: @MAHQDotNet / @GundamnAtMAHQ / @CTCast
- MAHQ Facebook Group
- Forums: MechaTalk.net / Gundamn! @ MechaTalk.net
- Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324

Subscribe & Download Gundamn! @ MAHQ
- Main RSS Feed
- Gundamn! @ iTunes
- Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn
- YouTube: Gundamn! @ MAHQ / Chaos Theater / Shinjuku Station / ShinStation Fight Tube

Gundamn! @ MAHQ is a MAHQ & Shinjuku Station Joint
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Shinjuku Station Podcasting - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - ShinStation Fight Tube! - ShinStation Live!

Many thanks for listening & Happy New Year!
@SoulBroRyu
[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
wielder

Re: Ep. 162 - Great Tournament, Great Experience

Concerning Akito the Exiled...Chris made a fairly reasonable assumption about how they could add more "Not-Lelouch" in the future, but I think they may have already finished playing most of that card in the third chapter alone. Can't go into any of the spoilers here though. Either way, time will tell.

GBF Try was certainly a fun ride. It could have been improved in some areas, but I didn't have any major issues with the tournament format. Even so, I'll be happy if they find more creative ways to approach certain fights and develop characters in any potential sequels. Just for the sake of making an even better show.

In any case...Tryon 3 forever! :D

Speaking of the Mecha Anime Confidential panel...I think that was pretty neat too. Congratulations to Soul Bro and Doctor for putting it together. On that note, I would second Doctor on Gun X Sword, which is a lot of fun and really worth watching. I'd prefer to describe it as a rather direct Super Robot show about revenge. Code Geass emphasized the villainy of its own protagonist a lot more in terms of both characterization, theme and narrative, so they weren't necessarily aiming for the same idea. They do have a number of elements in common though. That said, the actual main bad guy in GXS is one of the highlights of the experience and both series are pretty enjoyable.

On the other hand, I do have to disagree with a couple of folks in the background towards the end of the panel who were so casually claiming that if you like Code Geass then the "next step" is moving on to Valvrave. That's totally crazy talk. Why? There are various reasons, but the main ones are because VVV lacks interesting characters, includes gratituous sexual assault and ends on a poor note that leaves you empty. It sounds like the specific persons who said this probably didn't like either show, but that "advice" doesn't help.

As Soul Bro said, CG is driven by its characters. That is what makes the show work for a ton of people. The plot twists and turns are only truly compelling to watch when you care about the cast involved. If you honestly like Code Geass, go watch Gun X Sword. That's a fair recommendation. Don't waste your time with Valvrave (or Cross Ange).
Soul Eater, the True Rune
xaos

I was really hoping one of you would mention the Denial Gundam doing the demspey roll. Which is why The Junya fight is my favorite in Try. Seeing him do all the different martial arts moves and going into the liver blow, gazelle punch, and finally the dempsey roll had me, as they say in pro wrestling circles, marking out. The Trion fight is a close second though.

Also nice to hear the first voice we hear from the floor during the panel section is my Broken Infinite brother in arms Frankie. XD
phillosmaster

I was a fan of Try. It wasn't a perfect series, but it was still entertaining. It gave us tons of fun suit designs (much to Chris' dismay). I like how they presented the world this time around. It felt almost like Pokémon in the way the signature games has become so pervasive in their culture.

I also wish they would have placed a greater emphasis on team work rather than 1 on 1 battling in the later half of the series. It felt like that should have been the focus of the series.

I think you need to have Sei pushed to the background of the series, because if he is not the focus of the series then you don't want him overshadowing the new leads. We've seen this fall both ways in the past in Gundam. Zeta being one of the best examples and Destiny being one of the worst in my opinion.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.