Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

between the dwindling number of simulcasts, the abandonment of streaming older shows and the pathetic rental options is it safe to say that daisuki.net is a failure?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Turkuru

Hey guys, had a few quick questions.
1. Of the MSG games which would you each say is your favorite(s)? I personally like Encounters in Space, and Gundam vs. Zeta gundam.
2. I've recently gotten back into Gunpla, and I am amazed how great the quality has gotten since the 90's. what are your thoughts on how the Gunpla ranges have evolved since the old days.

Keep the Straight Talk Express gassed up and rollin'
yazi88

Hey guys I have a couple of questions:

1. Neo, given you enjoy Pawn Stars, how would you feel about a similar type of show starring Judau, Garrod, and Duo called JUNKYARD HUSTLERS? Chris and Soulbro feel free to add your thoughts.

2. If Gundam is the 1st "Real Robot" show, which is the 2nd or rather which is the 1st real robot show that aired after Gundam?

3. This is a silly question, but say if some Japanese director/executive saw what Robotech did with 3 unrelated anime and loved the idea or was amused. He wants to do what Harmony Gold did with Robotech but instead of 3 anime shows, he wants to do it with 3 AMERICAN shows. Which 3 unrelated American shows (live action or cartoon) would he blend/edit with nonsense together in a attempt to match Robotech?

4. I've said this to Soulbro during some of his streams, but to Neo and Chris, is Boss from Mazinger the prototype to Soulbro's men? Given how he's a loser and pilots a robot named after himself and made of trash I think he fits the category.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Would you go to a gym that obari-fied your physique if there ever was one?

2. You need a ride after a long night of partying and decide to call a taxi.
Who is your one driver out of the many listed below that will take you to your humble abode?
a. Allelujah AND Hallelujah Haptism
b. M.D. Geist
c. Dique Gunhale the dookie years
d. Wakamoto Norio aka the voice of Loulouch's dad and Coach Ota.
e. Suga Akira. You know, Sleggar Law MK II.
f. Turbo Teen

3. Kawamori recently participated in designing the new Thunderbird Shadow for the reboot Thunderbirds are Go.
Likewise, which mecha alumni would you folks like to see collaborate with which Western animation/film?
I was thinking maybe get Mr.Obari to lead Lord Bay's live action Transformers art department.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 16 times in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
fearjunkee

Which Gundam character do you think has the best facial hair? In my opinion, it's gotta be Ali Al-Saachez.
macloud

Hi GunDAMN crew, long time listener first time poster.

1]which character[s] would you rather have with you for a night on the town?

2] which lead Gundam pilots would you pick as members of a power ranger team, and which colour?

keep up the great work.
Last edited by macloud on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn! Crew!

1) Was there ever a time where getting a model of something made you like it more, or the reverse?
- I got Konami's old SF model of the Classic constitution class Movie Enterprise and it's made me like the design more. Unfortunately, the model of the Enterprise B/Excelsior from the same set had a loose nacelle and was bent a bit, which sort of ruined that design for me. What about you?

2) Back in the 80s, the popular trend was to make fifty episode Anime shows. From the late aughts onwards, the trend is to make twenty plus episode shows. So my questions are:
a) which format do you like better: twenty episode or fifty episode shows?
b) which twenty six episode show do you believe would work better as a fifty episode show?
c) The reverse of b?

Take care!
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
YokozunaBulldozer

Chuchumy
1.Which pet in the mecha genre would win one of those competitions where they have to do tricks and stuff for their owner's glory?

2.In a previous old timey post I submitted one where Chuchumy was Walter White.
What other roles do you gents think Chuchumy can pull off?

3. Which mecha show would you like Pixar to give it the Big Hero 6 treatment?
I would probably go broke if they did Dai-Guard or one from the Eldran Trilogy(that Sunrise mecha series where some alien interior designer always gave elementary schools a super robot makeover).

P.S.
Glub glub.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MCTDread

What a lovely day!

Choosing one male and female in all of Mecha who would you guys pick to travel through the harsh world of Mad Max with?

And for laughs which Mecha villain would be all the more hilarious or intimidating with a Immortan Joe getup?
Darkhound Noir

Greetings Gundamn Meisters

I'm sure you have your favorite mechas, regardless of series. My question is, which mecha was wasted potential in your book. That is a mech that was beautiful, elegant, badass, or some combination of the three but was wasted either in a terrible series, barely used in a series, or destroyed before it ever had a real opportunity to shine? Examples might be Delta Plus from Gundam Unicorn, Saviour Gundam from Gundam Seed Destiny, or AGE-2 Darkhound from Gundam AGE.
MCTDread

With the news of Gargantia Season 2 being cancelled and converted to light novels are there any other cancelled Mech anime or seasons you wish would've happened? Even planned series like F91.
YokozunaBulldozer

SCOOBY DOOBY DOO

1. Which Gundam Character would you have liked Casey Kasem to voice if he had the opportunity to do so?

2. Your final say on your SEGA boy Ryo from Shenmue(voiced by Mr. Matsukaze) voicing Gaelio.

3. If you were the fighter of Neo America from G Gundam what would your All-American Gundam be?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 am, edited 14 times in total.
MCTDread

Ohana

How would a Presedential Debate go with these characters with Yoshiyuki Tomino as Moderator?

General Septum
Iron Mask
Gihren Zabi
Katejina
Lord Djibril
Bask Om
and Donald Trump
YokozunaBulldozer

FIGHT

Super Mecha Lightning Round
1. Best Chibi Chirico from Gundam: Mikazuki - Heero - Setsuna

2. Master of Gyans: Sazaki - Gyanko - The Vase Otaku

3. Best federation grunt: GM - Strike Dagger - Adele from AGE

4. Best mecha Pinocchio: Mega Man - Astro Boy - Kikaider

5. Most coveted item: Kakizaki's last steak - a cockpit from one of the G-Reco suits, you know, the hi-tech portapotty - Nicol's piano

6. Stuff I would rather suffer than anything else: Chased by a stampede of ZOIDS - Joint attack by Autobots and Decepticons - Work as a janitor for the Vagans

7. Personal Ace pilot color: Salmon pink to go 3 times faster - Blue so that you can tell people this ain't no Zaku - All-white to show that you are like a wolf or show people you are a Super Pilot

8. Best possible name for G-Self's successor if they ever had one: Super G-Self - G-Self Kai - G-Funk
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:07 am, edited 11 times in total.
PHILLYgundamnFAN

With the primaries coming up which characters from anime are most closely aligned with the xenophobic insanity of Donald Trump and the tree hugging hippiness of Bernie Sanders? Please each pick one Republican and one Democratic candidate (no copying each other). I pick Patrick Zala because obvious and Euphimia because she had a lot of good ideas and wanted to help everyone but in the end it was kind of a mess. Hopefully Bernie Sanders doesn't try to kill everyone in the Special Administrative Zone of the Iowa Caucuses. Please be as insulting as possible.
"To my only desire...The Beast of Possibility...The Symbol of Hope..."
The Bleu Giant

Sup bros? If you had to assemble a strike team of 3 gundam characters to attempt an assault against the Legion of Doom known as Trieze and Char, who would they be? Assume that both sides each have a flagship with a captain that you can choose, as well as the necessary complement of cannon fodder forces.
YokozunaBulldozer

LONG LIVE GUNDAMN

1. Let's rewind back to the 80s.
Some time travelers "accidentally" destroyed the master copies of Golion and just peaced out without saying sorry because they are busy trying to be "legends", thus rendering them useless.
You are given 24 hours to edit another mecha anime to make the pilot episode of Voltron complete with English dub.
Which other mecha show do you choose?
Keep in mind that this is the 80s so most likely no fancy computer stuff.

2. Which mecha genre-related creator should get his/her own original streaming service deal similar to Voltron Legendary Defender?

3. Welcome Back Mr. Kotter Edition Lightning Round

a. Best Gundam Barbatos weapon:
Mace / Katana / Tim Allen-approved Wrench

b. Best Macross TV sequel:
Delta / Frontier / 7

c. Best "You betrayed me?!" victim:
Garma Zabi / Alejandro Corner / Ryo Hazuk... Gaelio Bauduin

d. Best gyan user:
Sazaki / Gyanko / Vase Otaku

e. Best person to be stranded with:
Yazan from Z and ZZ Gundam/ Ota from Patlabor/ Killgore from MADOX-01/

f. Most anticipated future Gundam anime:
IBO Season 2 / Build Fighters TV Special+OVAs / Crossbone Gundam :roll:
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.
MCTDread

What grunt suits in all of Gundam's timelines are severely overrated and which are underrated?
yazi88

Got a few fun questions for you guys:

1. Rocket punch has usually been a staple in super robot shows and in the rare case also in Gundam (Corrin Nander's Kapool) usually with all kinds of names, so my question would be, what would you name a rocket punch style move? One that comes to mind for me is: RAGING DUKES

PS: Sorry Soulbro, can't use HADOKEN, gotta be more creative than that! :twisted:

2. Given that SD Gundam did a wacky racers style spoof, what other kind of spoofs would you guys like to see with SD Gundam? I would personally love to see a Turbo Teen spoof but with TURBO BROCKEN!

3. What music collaboration/crossovers would you guys like to see with Gundam/mecha anime? I've got a few examples here: Yazan Gable being on the cover and singing song songs on Depeche MODE's VIOLATOR album, and Cagalli's Dad being the opening act for BURNING MAN by BEING THE BURNING MAN, and let's not forget Dennis's favorite albums "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CULTURE"

PPS: Chris I was wondering if I could have the custom title of PUN-ISHER because I punish people with my great puns! Soulbro can vouch for me!
Last edited by yazi88 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bertman4

In a recent poll of 401 university students in Japan, approximately two thirds had not seen any Gundam series. https://plus.google.com/u/0/114365028784334650596 (Site is Japanese only but I'm including it for completeness' sake. You can Google translate to get a rough idea.)

There were comments that the franchise is so large, they had no idea where to start. There were also comments from women that Gundam series appears to be for boys so they had no interest. One comment suggested starting with Unicorn and going back the UC timeline (UC->CCA->ZZ->Z-.original). I personally think that is a horrible idea but whatever.

So, which Gundam series would you recommend to a newcomer? Would you recommend different series if the audience is male or female? I know this question has been periodically asked but I think there has been a lot more series and OVAs since the last time you guys responded.

Thanks!