Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

The Mailbag is back with an all new thread. Post your questions here, but first please read the following guidelines.

1. Please don't make a blog post out of your question. In other words, try to keep everything brief and to the point. Keep in mind that we have to read your questions over the air and then respond to them. So shorter is better.

2. This is not the Jane's military information podcast. Please refrain from asking us about things like the difference of the reactor power between the RX-78-2 and the RX-78-3. If you really need to know that sort of thing, go to the Mecha forum and kindly ask toysdream to explain.

3. As a general rule that we've emphasized in the past, please don't ask stupid questions. If it sounds stupid to you, it probably is, so trust your own judgment and save us the time.

4. Posting a question here does NOT guarantee that it will appear on the show. It is within our discretion to decide what we answer. If you question doesn't get picked, please don't ask us why it didn't get picked (or ask the same question again).

5. This thread is only a drop box. It is not a thread for discussion or to answer questions. Just post your question and go about your business.

6. No "favorites" or other "list" type questions. We want to discuss questions, not run off lists about favorite mobile suits, characters, etc.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AJQ32

Re: Mailbag Drop Box Mk II

Greeting Gundamn Miesters. I am back with some more amusing and thoughtful questions for you.

1. Chris have you moved? We haven't had any incidents where people break into your house and take over the mic from time to time. And if you haven't moved then do you have a restraining order on those guys, or did you get them sent to prison for breaking and entering, or are there some unmarked graves we shouldn't pay any attention to?

2. Neo do you ever go on a pub crawl with Denis and listen to his drunken rants about how people don't know anything about 'Culture'?

3. Soul Bro what series are you trying to get caught up on the most right now and is it for Gundamn or yourself?

4. It is thought that by 2015 3D printers would be affordable for home use. We might be seeing people making customized Gunpla like in Gunpla Builders and Build Fighters with 3D Printers. But it could also end up on the 'Methods' network as well. You could download a CAD file for free and print out your own gunpla for just the price of the plastic beads the printers use. How do you think this will impact the Gunpla and Action Figure markets? I would hope the industries adapt by Selling the CAD files themselves.

May Lord Kings suspenders support you!
Last edited by AJQ32 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yazi88

1. I noticed something while watching VOTOMS a while ago that none of the mecha are actually called by their names so my question is what mecha shows can you guys think of where the mecha are never referred to by their actual names? 0083 was kind of like this where the Gundams were only referred to as Unit number rather than their actual name.

2. Anime is often dubbed over to english when it comes over to US but what about the opposite? What American shows/IPs do you guys want to watch dubbed in Japanese? I remember a few years ago seeing the 1st Stinkmeaner episode of the Boondocks in Japanese and it was hilarious.

3. SRW Z did the impossible and actually fixed Destiny's crappy writing and made sense of it which is one of the strongest aspects of the game in particular, so my question is what mecha shows would you guys give the SRW treatment to help fix/make sense of their writing? The ones I can think of are Southern Cross and Maybe Gundam Age, if Kio got the crap beaten out of him by Bright or something...

4. If there ever was a battle royale or mortal combat with Gundam Protagonists fighting to the death with just their bare hands and feet without mobile suits, who would win? Domon is also banned for obvious reasons.

Keep up the great work and I apologize if my questions seem too long or stupid.

PS: Soulbro I hope you continue to host more Gundam Extreme VS matches in the future!
Last edited by yazi88 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gundam420

Greetings masters of the Gundamnation, I come bearing with questions:

1. What sort of fantasy/sci-fi creatures do you think would be cool if they got the cyborg treatment ala the T-Rex from Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, or went full robot like Mechagodzilla?

EDIT: Questions were already answered before me edits so I'll bring them up for the next episode.
Last edited by Gundam420 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Since it is a new year and whatnot, I was wondering if I may address you three gentlemen under the following titles as of this post.

Powermaster Chris. Because he took the helm of Gundamn like Powermaster Optimus Prime (or Ginrai as some like to go by) from Transformers Masterforce in the midst of the show's development.

Captain Neo. Because he is the prophesied chosen one who will lead us and destroy the robot army with his rendition of howling commandos consisting of Lord Bay, The Admiral, and King Larry.

Father Soul Bro. Because hey, If I am the archbishop of hopes and dreams he's the pope.

2. Which mecha would be excellent for Gangnam Style 2014 Super Robot remix if there ever was one? Dygenguard with Aubenseiter or Master Gundam with Fuunsaiki?

3.What one thing in your daily lives do you think could need the Katoki makeover?

Happy Belated New Years.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
angelwingzero

Loving the show as always, guys. More host-specific questions this time:

1) Neo - Is Fellini the successor to Roy? Womanizing and proving you can still fly drunk.

2) Chris - Who would you date out of the SV2 ladies and why? Noa, Kanuka, Kumagami, or Shinobu? (Or their live action counterparts)

3) Soubro - What thing could be improved with more Gundam Hammer?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
kayone73

Hey guys, no questions on this email, just an amusing observation.

I was listening to a recent episode of the Stuff You Should Know podcast where they discussed the historical basis for....*long pause*... King Arthur.

Needless to say while I listened to the whole episode and learned things, the entire time I was unable to get images of King Saji out of my head, especially when they kept dropping the phrase 'the Arthurian legend' repeatedly throughout the show. I can safely say that my ideation of King Arthur in all forms of media has now been forever contaminated by the image of Gundam's once and future King.
haro_meister

Hello Gundamn,

Happy new year guys. It's 2014 and yet, Eva's not happening.

Anyway, any thoughts on the new Sunrise mech show "Buddy Complex"? After seeing the first 2 episodes, it felt kinda generic and I feel like Sunrise just wont let go of the "accidental teenage pilot gets thrown in the middle of a battle" concept. Do you have any fresh ideas on how to make a good pilot episode for a mech show?
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Which RX-78-2 Gundam do you guys think would win a Gunpla Battle, Okawara Kunio's RX-78-2 or Katoki Hajime's RX-78-2?

2. Which other mecha show with a decent toy/model kit lineup do you guys think could work in a Build Fighters fashion? I was thinking Transformers and Zoids for starters since they got a decent customizing community and Zoids has had a couple of manga titles where it involved model kit battles.

3. Which Gunpla would win in a three-way battle royale?

Perfect Gundam VS Beginning 30 Gundam VS Star Build Strike Gundam
faizdanyal

Gundamn guys,it's time to whip up some more questions to the MAHQ Mailbag!

1.In the Gundam world,there are some mobile suits that have absolutely no use at all and considered to be USELESS. So,my first question is what are your 3 worst useless Mobile Suits/Gundams and why?

2.With Sword Art Online Season 2 announced,I would like to ask this interesting question. If you want any characters from Sword Art Online to pilot a Gundam/mobile suit,what Gundam/mobile suit will suit which character from SAO and why?

3.A simple one. What's your favorite Japanese food?

Anyways,hope you all answer my questions and have fun! 8)
Furious Rodimus

I have one simple question:
Soul Bro, Will there be a sequel to Bernie's Lament using the second ending theme from Build Fighters which praises the 'short-pants spirit'?
Last edited by Furious Rodimus on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Red Comet90

Hey guys,

I decided to listen to ANN cast's episode on the Fall of Bandai Entertainment. Robert Napton said that Aniplex has found a market for what they do or at least to him that's what he thinks.

I wanted to hear the Gundamn's hosts take on this. Do you feel Aniplex is doing well at the moment? Do you feel their strategy is valid?

Personally I feel the one thing they are doing right is creating high end collector's box sets that are made for those collectors who really want it. But at the same time I feel like they are making a mistake by pricing a Blu-Ray with only 4 episodes at $70+ dollars as the general release.

Edit: Btw the straight talk express was strong on facebook when that guy commented on idols and Macross.
Last edited by Red Comet90 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Meister_Randall

Bah-weep-graaaaagnah wheep nini bong,

1.Discovered this excellent podcast a year ago and have a question I have been wondering since Episode 3 of Gundam Unicorn. While in the Unicorn Daguza Mackle and Banagher have a conversation about Laplace and Daguza explains how Laplace being destroyed benefited the federation as it allowed the Federation to justify its authority. Daguza implies the likely hood it was a false flag operation. Do you think the author of Gundam UC, Harutoshi Fukui, is making an analogy to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11th, 2001? (I don't want to create a debate on if they were or not, just speculations on the authors intentions).

2.I just finished reading the novelization of Gundam which really explores the Newtype concept and the different interruptions of it from Zeon Sum Dikum's understanding without misconceptions to the special powers ace pilot. What is a Newtype you?

3.Where would each of you want to live in the Gundam universe, Earth, the Moon, or one of the sides? Please give a UC timeline answer and non-UC answer.

4.Who had the most useless self-sacrifice death? and which one affected you the most?

Thank you for the hard work you put into making Gundamn!
Last edited by Meister_Randall on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackbeltsam

Sup?

Question: What is your favorite lopsided fight in mecha anime? What I mean is a fight where one of the fighters is clearly out of their league.
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
Silver_August

Howdey from the frozen north!

I've got a couple questions for the whole crew.

1. If you could vacation to any location in any Gundam series, which would be? (Note: Colonies that have been blown up only count if you're there the day it gets destroyed and are now forced to make a daring and possibly horribly written escape).

2. What is your #1 Mecha related regret? (e.g not buying/watching something when you had the chance or thinking Saji would ever become an important character.)

And lastly, for Soulbro...

What is the progress report on uncovering that undoubtedly "epic" Robotech / Voltron fanfiction?
Last edited by Silver_August on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobiusdiablo

Now that you're using something other than Skype for voice chat, does the Man In A Can curse still apply? Also, what have Neo and Soulbro been up to in the past week or so? Anime, reading, TV, games, etc.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO

1. Picture an alternate history where plastic never existed and instead we got a lineup of Gunpla model kits that use other materials. Which would you prefer, wooden Gundam Kits a.k.a Woodam or clay Gundam Kits a.k.a. Gun-doh?

2. Continuing from that previous question I asked not too long ago do you think Sazaki's grandkid would be the perfect Bat and Sei's grandkid the perfect Rei equivelant? Also which title do you prefer Paintbrush of the Shingyo or Fist of the Gunpla?

3. Who struck first Exia Repair 2 or O Gundam?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelcod

I know you guys have probably answered this in the past, but I am a fairly new listener and just have to ask this:

Why does everyone hate Gundam Seed Destiny so much? I just finished watching it and while it had its share of problems I still found myself enjoying it more then ZZ, Stardust Memory and AGE. So why does it get all this hate?
Gundam420

shelcod wrote:I know you guys have probably answered this in the past, but I am a fairly new listener and just have to ask this:

Why does everyone hate Gundam Seed Destiny so much? I just finished watching it and while it had its share of problems I still found myself enjoying it more then ZZ, Stardust Memory and AGE. So why does it get all this hate?
I don't think they want to answer that. Listen to episode 31 of Gundamn. Also I feel the need to point this out: I've never understood why people ask "why do people like/hate this thing or that thing". Shouldn't you already know why people hate it since you obviously had to have seen/heard and been to places where people explain why they hate it?

Anyway onto my questions:

1. Neo: It's the robopocalypse, and you get blown up. The only way to revive you is to turn you into a cyborg. Would you go through with it? Remember: a)You are humanity's only hope b) You can never go back to normal.

2. This one is for all of you. In the midst of the robopocalpyse you have no choice but to get help from a cyborg. You you can only choose one of these 5 options: Alita, Major Kusanagi, the T-800, Robocop, or Raiden. Who would you enlist? Remember you can only pick one and the rest will be against you. Choose wisely.

Anyway that's all the questions I have for now, keep the good work as always.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
zero_the_masked_knight

[Questions withdrawn due to potential inflammatory nature and The best person to answer question one -Chris- being away.]
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.