Topic Submission Thread MK III

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Topic Submission Thread MK III

Hey Everyone;

Time for a new topic submission thread. The rules for this thread are as follows:

1. Submit only topics for Gundamn@MAHQ, you know what we talk about.

2. No show/OVA/movies suggestions here, we'll have a separate thread for that.

3. The purpose of this thread is for topics that are conversational, please no topic suggestions that require extensive or prior show preparation.

4. Please review prior submissions, so that there are no duplicates.

5. Finally, no top 5 or top 10 lists, they make "Chris Smash".

Thanks again.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
T.V.

Re: Topic Submission Thread MK III

Here's one for you:

Has the planned season length a definite impact on the quality of the story and production values of a weekly airing gundam/mecha anime?

Could it be a case of less is more, where typically 50 episode long weekly shows are inferior to shows having less episodes to tell their story? The restriction of having less time/episodes to get from A to Z might actually push directors and writers to litterally waste less time or having their resources spread less thinly.

I'm asking this because looking back I typically enjoyed shows with shorter continuous runs better than the longer ones. Call it the Dragonball Z-effect, but a lot of the 50 ep shows feel like they're wasting relatively more time than shorter ones.

Of all the Gundam TV-series that I've seen in full (everything except G Gundam, Victory and Zeta and ZZ), I like First Gundam, Gundam X and Gundam 00 best. All of which did not reach 50 episodes in their first continuous run for various reasons. First Gundam and X were cut short, while 00 was only greenlit for a 25 episode run initially.
For First Gundam the end result is arguably better than Tomino's original draft for the entire 50 episode run. You might say that Tomino being forced to scrap his original plan for something able to fit in less episodes forced him to cut the excess fat from the story. Perhaps the same is true for the staff from X and 00.

Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny on the other hand seem to drag along during the middle parts of their respective episode counts. Even discounting the recaps, it's seems clear that problems during the production (i.e. Fukuda's poor project managment, etc.) had a definite impact on the story.

Likewise Macross (36 episodes) and Macross Frontier (25 episodes) are imho better told stories than Macross 7 (50 episodes).
MechaGear

Hi there,

Longtime fan of the show here. This probably wouldn't warrant a whole conversation, maybe a news item, but I thought you guys might want to check out my short sci-fi film, which is directly inspired by 80s mecha anime. It's littered with references to various shows, see if you can spot them all!

"C (299,792 km/s)"
http://vimeo.com/58429056
www.c-themovie.com

Hope this isn't in conflict with the rules. If you like it, it'd be awesome just to get a quick mention, but if not, no worries! Keep up the great work you guys!!

We've been reviewed by other podcasts previously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MTWUn7ZegY

And here's a review/interview discussing the anime influences:
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/c-299-792-km-s

Thanks!
Furious Rodimus

Who are the best and worst friends in the Gundam universe? In other mecha and general anime?

You are asked to draft 5 pilots w/suits to shoot down your Gundamn co-hosts. Who do you select without being able to pick the same pilots/suits as them. For the draft, the order will be:
Soul Bro, Chris, Neo, Neo, Chris, Soul Bro and so forth until 15 pilots/suits are selected. Soul Bro gets first pick since he could probably use the most help.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Robolizard222

With Gundam build fighters showing to be more of the genre mashup of the sports/Kids toy show, what would you guys like to see as a genre or Story concept mashup for Gundam/mecha shows? The sillier or more inventive the better!
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
fearjunkee

Personally, I'd like more guest appearances, maybe some folks who've never been on the show before. There are those cool dudes at The More You Nerd who'd probably love to talk Gundam with you guys. (Soul Bro, Drew apparently emailed you a long while back and you never responded.)

If you guys need help getting TMYN on board, allow me to give you some advice: lure them in with Beargguys. They really like Beargguys.
Dayman

I'd be interested in hearing a discussion on what you consider the scariest/most nightmare inducing scenes from not only Gundam but mecha anime in general.
YokozunaBulldozer

The evolution of mecha design then and now.

Pick out what you guys think the "game changers" were based on what you guys have seen so far in the mecha genre, the notable aesthetic and design trends throughout the genre, etc. and also point out just one favorite mecha designer (i.e. Okawara, Ebikawa, etc.) and their pros and cons compared to others.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zero_the_masked_knight

Hello, Gundamn! crew

I'm thinking that this is more appropriate for here than the mailbag.

I was hoping that you could compare and contrast the two main styles of television storytelling - in both Animated and Live action format.

The first style is more common in Anime. Series wide story arcs where, as Soulbro mentioned, every episode is crucial. Recently, western cartoons like both Avatars, Young Justice and the New Clone Wars cartoon are starting to follow this style. Also, newer live action shows like Game of Thrones and Arrow are also made this way.

The second style is - or was - more common in western shows. Self contained episodes with occasional continuity references. IIRC, the majority of Star Trek shows followed this style. So do long running Police procedurals like NCIS and CSI. Also, older western Cartoons like BTAS, STAS and Justice league were made this way. Of course, the best example is the Simpsons.

Which style do you prefer? It was brought up in a previous topic submission that Longer running shows - the ones following the second style - tend to waste more time with filler. Do you know of any shows that were able to beat this potential flaw?

Also, do you think that the increasing use of the first style in Western productions is due to the influence of Anime on creators? At least in animation? Would you also say that - when comparing older shows like Star Trek to Newer shows like Arrow and Game of Thrones - there's an evolution taking place in live action shows? If yes, what would you say is the cause?

Hope this is still on topic.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
Powerman293

How about major retcons in mecha anime? I'd be interested to hear the types of things that people changed and for what reason. Although, i'm not sure if that could have be an entire segment's worth of discussion.
zero_the_masked_knight

The Treatment of Clones in Mecha Anime and Sci Fi in General. Specifically, your favorite clones in these genres, how the stories treated the idea of cloning, the purpose and use of clones, how the characters' being clones motivated them, whether they were seen as offsprings or siblings, etc.

Examples would be the Three Snakes, Rau Le Creuset, the Clone troopers, etc.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
Powerman293

With people thinking that Gundam is just recycling old plots and tropes now, discuss how you guys think the Gundam franchise could be more original. Maybe it could go interstellar, or deal with more crazy sci-fi concepts like gravity-time distortion, terraforming and the like?
MCTDread

How’s about a Razzie type of Segment with the worst of the worst taking home horrible prizes such as worst characters, worst moments, worst show, etc. Should be plenty of options Mecha wise and you guys could make up your own categories. Have fun with it.
PHILLYgundamnFAN

In the past year I've started watching so many great animes, and am now constantly looking for new/old shows that are worth watching. Maybe a segment once in a while where each of you/one of you submit a series, movie, or ova that is worth watching, it could be helpful in introducing listeners to series they've never seen. Any genre, new or old, popular or obscure. I'm not suggesting an in depth discussion, maybe just a quick 2 minute recommendation towards the end of the show. Either way thanks for being consistently entertaining!
"To my only desire...The Beast of Possibility...The Symbol of Hope..."
zero_the_masked_knight

Your top stupid/WTF inducing "Plot Twists" in Mecha Anime or Sci Fi in General - excluding the "Reveal" in Into Darkness about Kahn.

Since these "plot twists" are ideally so stupid, they shouldn't count as spoilers since the audience isn't really losing anything.
YokozunaBulldozer

How Did This Get Built: An in-depth deconstruction of a certain mecha(or certain mechas if you guys have the time) for hilarity purposes
Think the Death Star Contractor discussion from Clerks but with mecha.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
yazi88

A what if scenario to how Gundam and Macross would be like if you swapped Tomino and Kawamori.

What would Macross TV shows be like with Tomino and UC Gundam TV with Kawamori?
Mu La Flaga

Yo guys so here goes my topic submission.
I would like to hear a discusion on
"Alien life forms of the non-human type in mecha anime"

So by this to elaborate a little lots of shows have had human esque aliens.
But I want to see you guys try your hand at this.

Think of say the Hideauze from Gargantia, Vajra from Macross F, Ghana from Knights of Sidonia, ELS from 00, BETA from Muv-Luv and the Festum from Fafner.

It's always interesting to see the heroes deal with aliens they can't communicate or easily relate to.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this sometime(and any others you come up with)
From Mu.
PHILLYgundamnFAN

I’m Re listening to episode 60 “Ice Cold Haterade!” and I think we could use a sequel to the topic of characters that diminished your enjoyment of a show. Think of all the terrible characters from AGE, Macross Delta, and Narrative! I think there’s a lot of potential.

Also it might be worth doing a run down of shows you have re watched in recent years and talk about how your feelings on certain character or entire shows might have changed since years ago, or things you grew to appreciate.

And just some shows that would be good to review:
Code Geass Lelouch of the Resurrection
Gundam Thunderbolt 2 Bandit Flower
LOTGH: Die Neue These
PHILLYgundamnFAN

Hello,

A movie that I think you guys should review is Edge of Tomorrow aka Live Die Repeat. It’s based on a manga All You Need is Kill and features the main characters using power armor to fight an alien invasion. It got great reviews when it came out and is one of my favorite movies. If you haven’t seen it I think you’d definitely have a great time watching it. It’s a really fun movie.