Ep. 119 - Gaim Night with Richard Epcar!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 119 - Gaim Night with Richard Epcar!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 119 - "Gaim Night with Richard Epcar!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 174 min., 32 sec. (2:54:32) - 79.9 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Special Guests: Richard Epcar

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News & The Hopers & Dreamers Corner"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:47:30

02. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:47:30 - 0:48:21

03. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:48:21 - 0:49:21

04. 1st Segment: Anime Spotlight - "Heavy Metal L-Gaim" (Discussion)
Runtime: 0:49:21 - 1:51:38

05. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:51:38 - 1:52:06

06. "Dudes' Flight Out!" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 1:52:06 - 1:55:16

07. 2nd Segment: "Beyond Section Nine! - An Evening with Richard Epcar"
Runtime: 1:55:16 - 2:43:52

08. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:43:52 - 2:44:36

09. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 2:44:36 - 2:45:25

10. Outro: "Closing/Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:45:25 - 2:54:32

In this long awaited episode, not only do we review the Tomino classic, "Heavy Metal L-Gaim", but we sit down with none other than the legendary Richard Epcar for a spectacular interview!

Eternal thanks to Richard for taking time out of his busy schedule to join us on the show, to Dollow for arranging it, and to all our listeners for submitting questions. Sadly, we ran short on time and didn't have the chance to relay them all, but we'll return to them again in a future session with Mr. Epcar. In the meantime, keep up with Richard by visiting these link and let him know you heard him on Gundamn! @ MAHQ!

- Official Website: http://www.RichardEpcar.com/
- IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0258268/
- ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1090
- Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Epcar
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/RichardEpcar
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richard- ... 89?fref=ts

Even after all of that, you're still hankering for more Gundamn?! Well, catch us guest hosting on the following podcasts!
- Ikaricast: Season 4, Episode 30 (feat. Chris Guanche) - iTunes
- Ikaricast: Season 4, Episode 33 (feat. Neo Lorrnoke) - iTunes
- I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside: Episode 57 "Game-ception - Dot Hack" (feat. Neo Lorrnoke) - iTunes
- Tomocast Ep. 40: "Gundam" (feat. Chris & Soul Bro Ryu) - iTunes
- Anime Addicts Anonymous Ep. 153: "Anime Inventions & Mobile Suit Gundam AGE" (feat. Soul Bro Ryu) - iTunes

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)
- Ep. 002 - Top 5 Mecha Final Battles (Feat. Soul Bro Ryu)
- Ep. 003 - Favorite Gundamn Moments and Top 3 MSV
- Ep. 004 - Top 3 Anime that made us the fans we are/Top 5 Grunt Suits

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts & Videos also!:
- Chaos Theater: Sp. 003 - Hatercast feat. Austin Blake & Neo Lorrnoke! (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 006 - Open the Game! feat. Samantha Marchello & Scott Wachter of RPGamer.com! (FightersReady.net Thread)
- Shinjuku Station Fight Tube: Video Review - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Anime TV Series - Ep. 001 - "Dio the Destroyer"

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - MichaelBay.com: The Official Domain of His Bayness

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Wingnut

Re: Ep. 119 - Gaim Night with Richard Epcar!

First off, what WAS that frickin buzzer? :lol:
Mad props to Dollow for setting these interviews up. They've been great to listen to.

After this I'm gonna definitely going to check out L-Gaim. Filler at least isn't as bad as endless clip shows.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
yazi88

I wasn't trying to take a jab at SoulBro on my post on whole Capcom thing, I'm just really fed up with their crap. I also highly share Dollow's statement for Valkyria Chronicles 3. So called fans didn't even buy the game to support it, they just pirate. Oh well, I could always import...

I thought L-gaim was a pretty good show, not great, but a good watch. I love the comedic antics in this show, mostly by Gavlet Gablae.

I didn't think Amu was THAT annoying, although the reason I tolerated her was because her antics with Kyao were hilarious.

Just a heads up, Gavlet Gablae was also named after a female loser villain from another Tomino show Xabungle, she was also a very petty old hag.

Tomino loves reusing characters for his shows, whether its by name or their designs, or at times pretty much the same character. Kyao's character type was also in King Gainer as Bello Korossha. He looked exactly like Kyao and acted like him too.

There was a dude named Hola in Xabungle (there were a lot of very weird names in this show, even by Tomino standards), who was a prototype for Shou Zama, he even wore armor and carried a sword on his waist. He was a major dick and a pretty sad loser villain who was great to laugh at.

PS: Can't wait till you guys review Xabungle, this show is hilarious.
Destiny_Gundam

Heh, it wasn't really a dig at Chris. I know he loves Ghost in the Shell and Maaya Sakamoto, so the combination of the two is sure to make him extremely happy.

And regarding SRW, this.

Also, maybe you should wait to see if Media Blasters actually releases it before laughing at me. And no, I have no intention of buying it.

Regarding my question for Mr Epcar, Data Squad is the previous one he was thinking of. Fusion is the upcoming series that will start airing sometime this year.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Quiddity

L-Gaim was a very enjoyable show to me. Alas, there is a lot of filler to wade through. The last half a dozen episodes could have been stretched out to 10 episodes or so (which would have been to the show's benefit) had they not wasted a lot of time in earlier episodes on things like Lilin's daughter and Hashamoja constantly betraying everyone. The Anime Encyclopedia spoiled the big twist for me (that Poseidal was just a puppet of Amandara), but overall the twists were good, the characters were likable and the design/music were good. I loved the complexity of the show and would certainly welcome, as mentioned on the podcast, some sort of OVA on the back-story (although it will never happen). Happy to hear the show finally get the detailed review.

As for the question towards the end of the podcast about whether it deserves being called one of Tomino's better shows, I'd say it deserves to be up there if you're cutting Gundam out of the mix. I'd say MS Gundam and Zeta are better than it (and am surprised that there are people out there thinking that it is better than Zeta, I'd like to think of myself as one of the show's bigger fans but even I don't think that), and probably Turn A as well. Still, from a pure TV series standpoint, I'd rank it over his other TV shows that I've seen (which is everything post MS Gundam outside of Xabungle). Ideon: Be Invoked is definitely better, but I'd say L-Gaim TV is better than Ideon TV.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Mu La Flaga

Hm, well let's see where to start.
For Neo's news, that Thunderbirds series I am interested to see how it turns out I like Gerry Anderson's works quite a bit, have you seen any of his other stuff?

L-Gaim I've always heard of but never seen any of it, so this was kind of informative.

As for Richard Epcar, it was fun while it lasted and he seems like a nice guy, if pressed for time.
And a shame you didn't get to all the questions.

That is all I've got.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:
I didn't think Amu was THAT annoying, although the reason I tolerated her was because her antics with Kyao were hilarious.
Really? That's a high tolerance.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
LightningCount

Really enjoyed Richard Epcar. Big thanks to him for dropping by. Great guy. The teases about future projects were interesting to say the least. I hope everything works out there with casting. I would have loved to hear his thoughts on Robotech II: The Sentinels, Robotech: Shadow Chronicles, and the upcoming Robotech: Love, Live, Alive anime. Also, I was curious about the process behind Gundam Unicorn's dubbing and casting.
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
YokozunaBulldozer

Listening to this I regret not buying that 1/100 L-Gaim kit from a while back.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:Really enjoyed Richard Epcar. Big thanks to him for dropping by. Great guy. The teases about future projects were interesting to say the least. I hope everything works out there with casting. I would have loved to hear his thoughts on Robotech II: The Sentinels, Robotech: Shadow Chronicles, and the upcoming Robotech: Love, Live, Alive anime. Also, I was curious about the process behind Gundam Unicorn's dubbing and casting.
There's a lot we couldn't get to due to the combination of technical problems and time constraints, so we certainly intend to cover more when we follow up with him at some point.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
LightningCount

Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:Really enjoyed Richard Epcar. Big thanks to him for dropping by. Great guy. The teases about future projects were interesting to say the least. I hope everything works out there with casting. I would have loved to hear his thoughts on Robotech II: The Sentinels, Robotech: Shadow Chronicles, and the upcoming Robotech: Love, Live, Alive anime. Also, I was curious about the process behind Gundam Unicorn's dubbing and casting.
There's a lot we couldn't get to due to the combination of technical problems and time constraints, so we certainly intend to cover more when we follow up with him at some point.
OK, great. I kind of inferred that things were being cut short for one reason or another. Glad to hear there's a chance for more down the road. I really liked that you managed to slip in the new GitS question at the 11th hour there, though. That was one of my big curiosities at the moment. He's officially been reported to be reprising the role of Lunk in Robotech: Love, Live, Alive, which, as I kind of already said, is the other upcoming/potential project I wanted to hear about from his mouth in terms of the experience and how it's been with the delays between Robotech productions.

Similar to that is my question about Robotech II: The Sentinels and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. Both he played Vince Grant, and the former has a notorious history of financial/sponsor troubles, and some kind of building fire on the production side, etc bringing about its end. I wonder if he knew anything more about that troubled project, and then how it felt to step back into Vince Grant in a different section of the timeline almost two decades later. Oh, and being a Hollywood guy in part, I wonder what he thinks the potential is for the Robotech Live Action Movie being kicked around by Warner Bros, and if he'd have any involvement. Just some things to consider for your discussion; though I'm sure you've got plenty leftover already. One assumes Gund@mn will talk a bit more about Unicorn, and PERHAPS even touch on 0083's Kelly "I won't be some beaten down dog" Layzner(?!).

Anyway, big props for the Macross Plus question, too, and how you related that back to his Robotech experience, Dan Woren, and Bryan Cranston (whose amazing performance as Isamu is more noteworthy in my book than his later and well-deserved successes in Hollywood, etc). It was interesting to hear that with the workload coming in, Mr. Epcar didn't make the connection between Macross Plus and Robotech. Shows you a changing/evolving industry consciousness on the production side of things.

The Lupin III work with Tony Oliver (who worked with Richard on Robotech) was great to hear about, as well. They really nailed that dub. I've heard the Japanese Lupin III via the Geneon soundtrack's voice clips, and I think Tony did a really faithful job, personally.

Can't wait to hear more, and keep up the good work!!!
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
yazi88

hawk of endymion wrote:
yazi88 wrote:
Better her than any of SoulBro's men.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
yazi88 wrote:
Better her than any of SoulBro's men.
That's a tough one to call, kind of like Jim Cramer vs Rush Limbaugh
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Momaru

Great episode. Regarding the hints that were dropped by Mr. Epcar it sounded like GitS ALIVE is already being worked on for a US release. I think funi may be releasing it since the recording is being done in Texas. Replacing all the voice actors for the characters would be a bit of a bummer but thats exactly what happened for ALIVE in Japan. He also mentioned the new Lupin the 3rd show which I believe has a summer release date.

Now all we need is to get Mary Mcglynn and Rebecca Forstad on the show and the "circle shall be complete". Whatever that means. Get on that Dollow!
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam