Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Furious Rodimus

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Greetings and salutations.

Are there any types of Gundam/mecha merchandise that you wish would be made (like a tactical tabletop wargame etc.)

Are there any types of Gundam/mecha merchandise that you wish hadn't been made?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Blackbeltsam

Furious Rodimus wrote:Greetings and salutations.

Are there any types of Gundam/mecha merchandise that you wish would be made (like a tactical tabletop wargame etc.)

Are there any types of Gundam/mecha merchandise that you wish hadn't been made?

You mean besides Pundam?

Anyway, quick question: I know I've heard quite a few mentions of Wizard Metal on this podcast, and I was wondering if you could suggest some quality albums of this fine musical genre?
Twitter.com/Blackbelt_sam
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. In J-Decker I have noticed a few subtle pop culture references:
Specifically, Deckerd and McCrane both seem like they are named after the protagonists from Blade Runner and Die Hard, Deckard and John McClane while all four of the Scotland Yard Brave Police (or SYBP as I like to call it) are named after the Beatles.

Likewise, can you guys remember any examples how pop culture references were used in a similar fashion?

One trivial tidbit about the SYBP is that they are repaints of the Diver Team from Mightgaine which aired a year before J-Decker.

2. If Eldran, a.k.a Space Xzibit from Raijin-oh, Ganbarugar, Gozaurer and Daiteio, had his own grade school makeover show, what would it be called and how would each episode play out?

3. In the spirit of Build Fighters, describe to us the AGE-1 Dique Custom in all its glory.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn! Crew,

1) The iconic sound effects in mecha/sci-fi visual media I know of are Godzilla's roar, the newtype flash, the sounds of a lightsaber, Darth Vader's breath and the TIE Fighter roar. Do you guys know of any other iconic sound effects from Mecha/sci-fi, where they come from, and if possible, how they became so Iconic?

2) What is your favorite space fleet battle? Of course, the fleet battle is the battle as a whole: the engagements between the support craft (starfighters, MS, etc) as well as the ship-to-ship combat, since the former is as important as the latter. Mine would have to be the Battle of Coruscant in the Yuuzhan Vong War, depicted in the Star Wars Expanded Universe novel- Star By Star. It starts off as your typical Star Wars Dogfight, with the Jedi in their X-wings leading a daring strike on a Yuuzhan Vong Yammosk. The pacing is fast and the tension is high. The Jedi complete their mission, the New Republic fleet meets up with the Vong fleet and the battle proper begins. The pace then slows down, but the intensity of the battle remains high, and you really get the feel that the New Republic is slowly losing the battle. You get to see the battle from different perspectives, from Han and Leia's apartment and from the New Republic Senate, which is shown to be slowly disintegrating. You also get to see the really high stakes as the author depicts the panic happening on Coruscant's surface when it becomes clear that not everyone can escape and anyone stuck behind is doomed at the Hands of the Vong. For similar reasons, I also like the final battle in 0083 and the first Axis battle in CCA. What about you guys?
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
"Love" is looking into a person's eyes and seeing a soul.
eanetdude

Dear Neo,
You suck. You are the Steve Doocy of news journalists. In Episode 132, you said that I posted the wrong source for a Sir Bay News Alert. If you had actually read the article, you would have seen the ninth sentence state:
Besides “Beverly Hills Cop 4,” sources tell Variety that Bruckheimer is helping to develop the script for “Bad Boys 3,” while he is still pursuing “Top Gun 2″ as long as deals with talent can close.
Good day, sir.
Mu La Flaga

eanetdude wrote:Dear Neo,
You suck. You are the Steve Doocy of news journalists. In Episode 132, you said that I posted the wrong source for a Sir Bay News Alert. If you had actually read the article, you would have seen the ninth sentence state:
Besides “Beverly Hills Cop 4,” sources tell Variety that Bruckheimer is helping to develop the script for “Bad Boys 3,” while he is still pursuing “Top Gun 2″ as long as deals with talent can close.
Good day, sir.
I will back you up on this as when Neo read my Transformers article in 132 he obviously did not read it properly.
Otherwise he would have not needed SBR to correct him.

Soon after when Vent Noir posted about Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost coming to PS3 he got it confused with the arcade info and Gundam Extreme VS.

Neo your title is still sticking with you buddy, it sticks like glue :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
daigundam lagaan

Hey guys! So as you guys know, Gundam and other Anime have had their examples of avoidable deaths especially with Emma, Katz, Sarah, and Apolly. And we know that they could either be tragic or very funny such as Katz. What I wanna ask is:
1. Other than Emma (looking at you Soulbro), what do you find to be your saddest avoidable deaths?
2. Other than Katz, what are your favorite funny avoidable deaths?

If it's gonna take to long to answer, you can skip this :) Thanks guys!
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
thehod

Hello Neo, Soulbro, and Chris

Question for Neo dealing with Robot Apocalypse: How do you classify Cyborgs? Collaborators with the robots aka the Borg or another means of fighting robotic foes like the Major.

I also have a true story, back a few months when you had your man in the can discussion; I lost control of my car and crashed against a railing the moment man in the can's actual name was spoken.
The curse is real.

Thanks for the free entertainment and big shoutouts to soul bro and shoji for their livestreaming.
Furious Rodimus

If Sunrise were to reboot the Universal Century in animation would rather see its first entry based on:
Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin or Mobile Suit Gundam: The noverlization?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
PHILLYgundamnFAN

Whose movie would end fastest due to the death of its namesake, Dique's Counter Attack or CODE GEASS Rivalz of the Rebellion?

Soul Bro, DJ Roomba or DJ Bluntz?
"To my only desire...The Beast of Possibility...The Symbol of Hope..."
Vent Noir

What's the title and artist of the Michael Bay song you play for the Sir Bay News Alert, and where can I find the full version?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn Crew,

This question is for Neo, but since it involves Chris and Soulbro, I'd like to hear your answers too :)

The War against the Machines has begun. You are captured and knocked unconscious. You then wake up after an indeterminate amount of time, in the company of the other two Gundamn! hosts. You are the only ones - living or robotic- within a one kilometer radius of where you're at. You have a damaged robot scanner, and right now, it's telling you that one of you is a robot. It can't be displayed because the GUI is damaged. Somehow, your memories and personality have been programmed into a robot with skin, ala the terminator. If you are a human, and you make a mistake, the robot's programming will override the personality and will kill you and the other human. If you're the robot without knowing it and you touch the human, your programming will override your personality and kill both of them. If you are the robot, and you are able to figure it out, you'll short out and the other two will be saved. What do you do?
Last edited by zero_the_masked_knight on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing people for who they are; not who you think they are, not what you want them to be. Seeing someone unconditionally, without paranoia, without prejudice, without stereotypes, without fear...That's what "love" is.
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. If a Gunpla outbreak happens due to a global supersaturation of Plasvky Particles, how would you guys try handling it?

2. Who is the Dominic Torreto equivalent amongst all of the Gundam Pilots? He/She does not have to be bald, but has to live life a quarter mile at a time.

3. If Sunrise adapted Hamlet using mobile suits much like how Sangokuden was an adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which mobile suits would be the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern equivalent? The Vayeate and Mercurius are banned.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
raijinz

Hello again Gundamnisters! I know its been a while, so I wanted to get one more question in before the year is out! My question is:

What are your best and worst mecha pilot teams? We’re talking any unit or group of pilots that work well together on the battlefield and (for comic effect) those teams that no matter how hard they try just can’t seem to get their acts together! A particular team of 8 from Gundam AGE springs to mind!

Thanks again guys! I’ve had quite the crappy year so far, but listening to you guys each month has kept me in the fight! Don’t stop doing what you’re doing!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
eanetdude

Vent Noir wrote:What's the title and artist of the Michael Bay song you play for the Sir Bay News Alert, and where can I find the full version?
It's taken from the "Hollywood Babble-On" podcast during the "Movies That Will Suck" segments.

QUESTIONS for the hosts:
1. You are sent to Tokyo to compete in the Gunpla Build Fighters tournament. What Gunpla would you choose to build and what customizations do you make? (Note: Turn-A is NOT an option for you. Except for Soul Bro, as he has proven to be unfit for Turn-A).

2. You are stranded on an island for weeks until help arrives. One of your items you manage to take with you is episode 1 of any mecha anime TV series or OVA to watch at your leisure. What episode 1 do you choose?
Robolizard222

zero_the_masked_knight wrote:Hi, Gundamn Crew,

This question is for Neo, but since it involves Chris and Soulbro, I'd like to hear your answers too :)

The War against the Machines has begun. You are captured and knocked unconscious. You then wake up after an indeterminate amount of time, in the company of the other two Gundamn! hosts. You are the only ones - living or robotic- within a one kilometer radius of where you're at. You have a damaged robot scanner, and right now, it's telling you that one of you is a robot. It can't be displayed because the GUI is damaged. Somehow, your memories and personality have been programmed into a robot with skin, ala the terminator. If you are a human, and you make a mistake, the robot's programming will override the personality and will kill you and the other human. If you're the robot without knowing it and you touch the human, your programming will override your personality and kill both of them. If you are the robot, and you are able to figure it out, you'll short out and the other two will be saved. What do you do?
Damn that's easy! Robot wins every time especially if it realizes its true potential......to do the right thing and save both of the other hosts from danger. WAIT!!!! Could this mean......... NEO has......joined the mechanical race?!?! :twisted:
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
Robolizard222

Hello Gundamn three!!!!
I had a pleasant chat the other day with two aquatic mammals of the podcasting and offering kind (truly wonderful chaps). They got me thinking, though. Are there any mech related books or audiobooks out there (excluding Starship Troopers) that are a pretty good read?
People ask me if I'm a cat or a dog person. I'm actually a dog person. They taste better.
zero_the_masked_knight

Hi, Gundamn! Crew

One of the most chilling scenes I've ever seen in any anime is from the "Animatrix" clip, "The Second renaissance". During the War sequence, the Machines capture a Powered armor with a soldier inside. They tear into the cockpit and rip him out of it, while his arms are still plugged in, and he's screaming wildly.

So, my questions are:

1) This situation is a lot similar to the Victory Gundam Mass driver scene, and the scene where Hallelujah stabs that Tieren in the cockpit. Can you think of a countermeasure for this scenario?
Since the pilot will be dead anyway, I'm thinking verbally activated self destruct.

2) Is "The Second Renaissance" part of the tomes? I'd like to recommend it if it isn't. It shows a full scale war between Humanity and Machines, and shows how ineffective conventional tactics are. The Machines later become simply too big for bullets of whatever caliber to affect them.

3) Have you guys seen the Animatrix? If so, what do you think about it? As a side note, "The second Renaissance" was directed by Mahiro Maeda, who also directed Gankutsuou.

Take care!
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

1. Having recently been addicted to the SNL Korea Grand Theft Auto skits here is my question: Which mecha title would be a great GTA spinoff? A few ideas to get the ball rolling are GTA Crossbone Vanguard and GTA Byston Well.

2. Who would be the ideal spokesperson for Anaheim Electronics, John Moschita a.k.a. Autobot Blurr, Steve Balmer, Shamwow guy or Terry Crews? I pick Terry Crews because he has so much Powerrrrrrrr

3. Which mobile suit would win a knife fight complete with Michael Jackson's Beat It playing in the background, vanilla Strike or AGE-1?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
angelwingzero

Hey guys, loving the show as always. Got some host specific questions this time:

Neo: Which human sympathizer would you want on your side, Bishop from Aliens or Megaman? No Switzerland.

Soulbro: Part 2 Joseph or Part 3 Joseph?

Chris: Just finished Layzer so - Can you verbalize the hate of Age shaming V-MAX?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.