Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
TheGoose

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

1. Have you guys read or, are currently reading, any American comic books (superhero/non-superhero)? Any there any particular ones that you like?

2. Stylistically speaking, are there elements from American comics that you like over manga (writing, art styles, etc.) Also, are there elements from manga that you like over American comics?

3. I tried playing Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4, but was lost by their complex moves. However, I still do like to play fighting video games and am interested in trying out Marvel vs Capcom 3. Soul Bro, being the master of fighting games and Street Fighter, would you recommend a casual fighting video gamer, Marvel vs. Capcom 3? If not, what fighting games, for this console generation, would you recommend for a casual fighting video gamer?

4. While you guys have chewed out bad anime like M.D. Geist and Garzey's Wing, are there any terrible anime that you like as a guilty pleasure?

5. Have you guys seen the recent comic book movies that have come out this year (Thor, X-Men: First Class, Green Lantern, and Captain America: The First Avenger)? If so, what did you think of each film?

6. Have you guys ever seen any animated movies from other countries besides the U.S. of A. or Japan? Are any ones that you like?
Last edited by TheGoose on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey guys, love the show. I'm sure you hear that a lot but oh well.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, how long do you guys plan on airing Gundamn!? I could listen to you guys forever, but I know that cannot be the case. I'm not asking for a specific date but a rough timeline so I can start crying now as opposed to you guys springing it on me in the last episode. Thanks and keep up the EXCELLENT work!
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

What if Micheal Bay ran for president?
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Vent Noir

Having heard your thoughts on "Bronies" in the last episode, I'm probably tempting fate here, but... I'm a guy who likes magical girl anime. Does that put me in the same category as the "bronies"?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
tehprognoob

Just a question: when I click the link to DL Gundamn, it leads me to a blank page where my browser plays the episode. This is good, but I was wondering if I need to actually save the file to count it as a DL for you guys. If all I need to do is click the link, then I'll just click and play it in the browser. Otherwise I'll DL it.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Soul Bro Ryu

tehprognoob wrote:Just a question: when I click the link to DL Gundamn, it leads me to a blank page where my browser plays the episode. This is good, but I was wondering if I need to actually save the file to count it as a DL for you guys. If all I need to do is click the link, then I'll just click and play it in the browser. Otherwise I'll DL it.
Subscribing on iTunes might help with this. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but if it's Windows based, you should be able to Right-Click & save on the "Download Now!" link on any episode.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
tehprognoob

Yea, I do do that. Was just asking whether it counts as a download for you guys if I just clicked.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

jroy1117

Dear: Gundamn Crew

Hello this is Justin,the guy who was teaching English abroad. I just finished listing to episode 80 and i must say you three are brilliant as always. Keep up the good work.

Although you guys might be ill informed from time to time, I believe that least one of you has some sort of experience in law. Therefore I would hear your guy's opinion on Bill S.978. For the listeners, and maybe soul bro, who do not know about this bill, a summary of this bill states:

"Makes unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Illegal streaming of copyrighted content is defined in the bill as an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500." - http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

This seems relevant to the Anime community so i thought I would bring it up and let you kick it around abit. Thanks alot guys and keep up the good work.
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Matthew Grawbadger

Dear Gundamn,

When can one expect an ... internet publication of the second Macross Frontier film? I'm not familiar with the timetable of Japanese cartoons trickling west, how long does it take American fansubs of Macross films to become available?

Thank you,

Matthew.
Last edited by Matthew Grawbadger on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mu La Flaga

Matthew Grawbadger wrote:Dear Gundamn,

When can one expect a Gundamn review of the second Macross Frontier film? I'm not familiar with the timetable of Japanese cartoons trickling west, how long does it take American fansubs of Macross films to become available?

Thank you,

Matthew.
As Chris has said before in episode 60, post ALL topic submission ideas, in the topic submission thread.
tehprognoob wrote:Yea, I do do that. Was just asking whether it counts as a download for you guys if I just clicked.
Soul Bro and Chris have answered this before, Yes it does count.
Devil_Survivor
Location: Fat's Goodmen's base preparing for Fat's Counterattack

Dear Gundamn Crew,

I have some questions to add weight to the old gundamn mail mailbag:

1. Have you played any of the Mechwarrior games or read any of the novels? What is your view on the franchise as a whole?

2.What is your opinion on the portrayal of the LGBT community in anime?

3.Now that Duke Nukem Forever has finally after 12 years escaped development hell, is there hope for the Seed movie breaking out too lol?

4.What is your favorite Star Trek ship design? Mine is the Defiant as it was one of the few ships ever built by Starfleet to be an actual dedicated warship.
This movie has a beginning, a middle, a end, and explosions.... and is not a giant blow job to the U.S. military. -Chris, on Transformers 3.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Gundamn crew,

Just a couple of questions this time.

1. I saw Transformers last week and it got me to thinking. Now I know very well that there is an extremely low likelihood of Bandai attempting to make another live action Gundam production but still, wouldn't it be awesome to see a mobile suit like the 00Qan[T] or the Hi-Nu or the Freedom in Transformers level CGI? Which leads me to the question: I'm no expert in foreign films but it seems to me that Hollywood are the only ones that are capable of putting out CGI spectacles like Avatar or Dark of the Moon. Why does that seem to be or do I have it all wrong?

2. You guys seem to have a lot of respect for good ole Admiral Adama and I was wondering what you think might happen if Adama was, I don't know, put in charge of the Earth Federation Fleet or OZ or something?
Last edited by Arbiter GUNDAM on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
anubis

couple of quick questions for the fine folks at gundamn

1) I recently watched the new transformers movie. While it did have some nice looking explosions and eye candy of both the robot and girl variety, I found the characters somewhat lacking, to say the least. Really the main problem I had with the movie was that the robots themselves had such poor characterization. I'm just wondering if you guys think that the transformers movies would be greatly improved if they focused more on developing the transformers as distinct characters?

2) This is for Chris and Neo. Let it be known that I do not really hate soul bros men. However, I am curious to know, which of the men did the most damage to your overall enjoyment of the show?

3) This is for soulbro. Like you, I am a fighting game fan. During the capcom discussion that you guys did a couple of months ago, you mentioned that one thing you didn't like in marvel vs capcom 3 was x-factor. I'm just wondering what do you think of capcoms inclusion of "comeback mechanics" like x-factor and ultras in street fighter 4? I'm disliking capcoms moves towards these systems as they seem to actively reward players for losing, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
kayone73

A few questions for the crew:

1. This ran too long last time so I'll trim it down for readability. What are your opinions on the quality of current/modern japanese live action tv and film in general vs stuff done in the anime medium, and talking crossing all major genres: drama, sci fi, comedy, romance, etc. I find in general a lot of japanese live action productions don't quite hit me with the same impact as the anime counterparts nor with live action tv from other asian nations (korean, HK, taiwan, etc).

2. Are any of you guys into non-japanese asian live action tv/cinema and if so, any notable favorites worthy of mention?

3. On the subject of video games: would you want to see any of Hideo Kojima's big time properties (Snatchers, Policenauts, Metal Gear franchise) adapted into the anime medium or do you think the game versions of the stories were told so well its best not to touch those sacred cows (to steal a phrase)?

Thanks again for the great work!
NastyNate

Have any of you ever imported and completed an imported video game?

What video game do you wish the most would come state side? Age doesn't matter.

What do you think about Nintendo saying no to the huge amount of fans trying to get Last Story, Xeno Blade, and Pandora s tower state side?
http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1179222p1.html
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mr Bushido

1) I know Neo "challenged" the Heart and Soul guy to come on Gundamn and Chris quickly said no. After listening to episode 83, would you ever consider inviting Doug Bendo and have a debate on Robotech vs Macross? Personally I would very much enjoy listening if this ever happened I doubt it would.

2) About the Star Wars prequels, as we all know they could have been better, what did you guys think of the designs of the Venator-class Star Destroyers or any of the starfighters in RotS? And which do you prefer, clone troopers or stormtroopers?

3) I recently bought the 00 movie and watched it with my brothers who recently saw seasons 1 and 2 of 00. My younger brother who isn't a hardcore fan of Gundam and sees the movie as something very enjoyable reminded me of an acquaintance of mine who judged the movie as a good "Gundam" movie but a terrible "regular" movie. My question is, is it wrong and silly to judge the movie in those two categories seeing as how A Wakening of the Trailblazer was a sequel installment to the 00 universe?
Last edited by Mr Bushido on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Berserker 8

Hey a quick question for the gundamn crew :) :

What has been your biggest "connecting the dots" / "Oh I see what you did there" moment in an anime series ? Where all those subtle hints just hit you. For me, as i just concluded GITS:SAC, was when I realized that the boy in the wheelchair that Togusa met while undercover had to be the Laughing Man.

On a side note, have you seen the Game of the Thrones TV adaptation because by episode 4 we're introduced to the prototypical Soul Bro's man, Samwell

P.S. sorry Soul Bro couldn't resist :P
Amuro, Char, Spike, and Lelouch just have to be alive, they are alive right? , right... ?
ZeonicFreak

Yo Gundamn guys, whats happening!!

I'm gonna give this mailbag a try and maybe 9 gagillion podcast from now when the world is reborn with apes taking over the planet and clones of anime girls aplenty, this might get read.

Ive had a question going around my head that I wouldn't mind some feedback on, and if it is a cool concept to do. I am sure you guys are familiar with the Deadliest Warrior Spike Tv series pitting armies of today and the past against each other, and the occasional grown men acting like there 10 saying "my army can beat the butt of your army, WHAAAHHHH" and so on (that is really the funniest part of that show IMO). Well, what if you take that idea of the show and use that on armies and warriors of japanese cartoons. Ill give an example, say something like who would win: The Zeon army from the Gundam universe vs. Gilgamesh Confederation from the Votoms universe? Or the Special Security Force from Angel Cop vs. The A.D. Police from Bubblegum Crisis? I'd like to hear your input on ideas and what armies or warriors of anime you think would win if put in a fight with another anime character. I do have one rule on this, no DBZ character. I mean, you really think it would be fair if Goku went up against Kenshiro. Well, come to think of it...

Well, thanks for taking the time to look at this, keep up the good work!
Last edited by ZeonicFreak on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HALP! IM TRAPPED IN THE YEAR 2000 WITH ALL OF THIS ANIME, WOULD SOMEONE LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!! - http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/
TimberNewtype

What does the Straight Talk Express run on?

Is it a "green" machine, running on E85? dead people, like Zeta Gundam? or maybe Robotech Protoculture? or perhaps it has a Mr. Fusion, ala Marty McFly's Delorian?
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
m121akuma

Hey guys, I'm a relatively new listener, so I figured I'd make my first question a simple one:

What are your favorite openings and endings in the Gundam franchise? This could be purely because of the music, the visuals used, or a combination of the two.