Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Dollow

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Have guys heard the the fan sung version of "Do you remember love?" in english by Cristina Vee, and if you have what did you think of it?

Here is a link

What are some moments in anime that stand out to you as iconic? Example: The Gundam shooting straight up in A Baoa Qu, or at the end of final ep in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex where the major jumps off and fades to black.
Last edited by Dollow on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

I have a question and a comment

1. Maybe you talked about this already,but what do you think of the Ghost in the shell live action production?

2. I noticed in your SSS review that you did not mention the Major's "sexy lab assistant" form
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Mekton GM

I wanted to know the Gundamn crews opinions on the differances between the Japanese and American depictions of space warfare in science fiction television and movies. Western productions seem to focus on the flashy explosions with space fighters zooming between battleships fireing at point-blank range (ie the Star Wars movies, Battlestar Galactica.) Where Eastern productions though not focused on the psyudo science of space atleast add it for effect; such as battles at extreme range (Galactic Heros) or the effects of time dilation from faster than light travel (Gunbuster). Even Gundam to an extent uses long range bombardments (Chars Counter Attack) where the only way you see your opponent is through a telescope.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Paul83

Hi guys been listening to the show for a long time this is the first time I have posted, would like to say that you all do a great job with the show and Chris with the running of MAHQ, just a couple of questions

1. After Gundam Unicorn finishes would you like the next Gundam show to be set in the Universal Century, one of the Alternate Universes or a whole new universe?

2. What are some of your favourite anime shows/movies that are not mecha or sci-fi based?

3. If you were to compare yourself's to the UK Top Gear hosts who would be Clarkson, who would be Hammond and who would be May?

Thanks

Paul
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

Do you consider Gatekeepers a mecha anime?

also, what do you think of "Place Promised in our Early Days"? I personally love the movie and thinks it deserved to win the 2005 academy Awards, NOT Howl's Moving Castle (I HATE HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE!!!)
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Wed May 11, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Berserker 8

Where has pedobear north been hibernating ?
Amuro, Char, Spike, and Lelouch just have to be alive, they are alive right? , right... ?
anubis

You guys seem to be regular at cons. Have you guys ever cosplayed anything or have you wanted to cosplay anything? Have any memorable mecha related cosplays you've seen?

May have been ask already, but after 75 episodes Its hard to remember, but any non gundam anime that you want there to be a sequel too? I would love a shin mazinger sequel myself, but that seems to be very unlikely.

Finally, if the gundam builders gundam video game pod actually existed, which kit would you enter?
kayone73

Here's a question for the gundamn crew:

While it's true that Gundam ZZ sort of had 'team gundam' with the Zeta, ZZ, and Mk II fighting together, piloted by Judau & Co, G Gundam really started the 'lets make EVERYTHING a gundam' and then Gundam Wing really solidified the 'Gundam Sentai team' (piloted by bishounen instead of angsty nerds0 look of 4 or 5 that has been stuck with the franchise since then. Are you guys growing tired of that trend and how refreshing do you find a return to the original UC aesthetic of Gundam Unicorn bringing back the idea of ONE titular gundam and not '5 Gundams with 5 different personalities) all sharing the spotlight.

Also would shows like Wing and 00 would have worked the same if only ONE suit was a Gundam and the rest were 'something else'?
whowillsurvive79

Hey guys,

I’m relatively new to your podcast so I hope that none of my questions have been answered before.

1. Neo, why so much hate for Rahxephon? Soulbro and Chris, what do you think about that series?

2. Has Tomino ever mentioned why he included Quess Paraya (or Hathaway, for that matter) in Char’s Counterattack? I know teenagers and Gundam go hand in hand for the most part, but these two really raise the bar for being annoying. Aside from being pains in the ass, I don’t see what they contribute to the story.

3. Why have the newer gundam series (Wing, Seed, Destiny, 00) gravitated towards a select group of special pilots trying to change the world (in that teenage “I know better that my parents” sense) and get rid of war? Is this is an alternate universe thing, because in my opinion most UC shows always made it clear that individual characters were essentially useless in stopping the warring powers of their universe?

4. What do you think led to Char’s radicalism in Char’s Counterattack? I know that most people think he grew disillusioned with earth citizens, but how does a guy go from being a freedom fighter in Zeta to a mass asteroid-dropping murderer in CCA?

Thanks for putting up such a great podcast, guys. Every time a new episode comes out, it makes my normally terrible LA commutes a breeze.
Mr Bushido

1) This question is aimed at Soul Bro. And this question was inspired by the General back in the second live-in-call segment.

Everything Capcom related is about the be destroyed, erased, deleted, etc and the only way to stop it is to kill one of these two people with a gun next to you. The two people are: Saji Crossroad and Emma Sheen.

What will you do?

2) Chris you were saying during the Gunpla Builders segment round-up if that Gundam battle arcade game existed you'd play it everyday and I'm pretty sure Neo and Soul Bro would too (I would too definitely). So I have no doubt this will come into reality sometime in the future but my question is, say this was out now, which 1/144 HG kit would you use in the game? It could be from UC, 00, SEED, and etc as long as its a 1/144 HG kit.

3) Since both Graham and Alto were voiced by Nakamura Yuuichi and both characters pilot fighter type mechs. What do you think would happen if Graham ended up in Frontier with the Valkyrie and Alto in 00 with a Flag.
Last edited by Mr Bushido on Wed May 04, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Bushido wrote: Everything Capcom related is about the be destroyed, erased, deleted, etc and the only way to stop it is to kill one of these two people with a gun next to you. The two people are: Saji Crossroad and Emma Sheen.

What will you do?
Soul Bro is a gentleman so I'd bet money that he'd rather pop a cap in Saji's head than harm Lieutenant Emma. 8)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kayone73

Edit: since Chris later clarified he's not big on 'top 10' type questions I'm changing my question.

Here goes; What are your (collective you) opinions on the presence of transforming MS in any of the Gundam universe (UC or any of the AC). Is there a point and do they make any sense within the logic of their universe, or do they simply exist as a marketing tool to sell toys and plamo kits?

I keep the question restricted to Gundam only and not other Real robot series like Macross where transforming mech are the whole point of the show.
Last edited by kayone73 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prince_of_zeon

Alright gentlemen,

So I've been listening to some of your earlier episodes just for kicks, and there was some mention of a SoulBro's woman! He labels Klan Klan from Frontier and of course Emma in this way, so I will ask SoulBro--what are the criteria for your woman and can you give us some examples apart from the ones you already briefly touched upon? Would Dilandau from Escaflowne count?

And a second one--were you all ace pilots, what would your custom color schemes be?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
awesome78

Hey gundamn crew!

I'm just wondering what is the most obscure or weird Gundam reference you have seen in the anime (sci-fi or not) you have seen. Mine would be the "Red Comet" and "Black Three Stars" restaurant at the end of the second episode of Gundam Unicorn and the "colony drop" in the newest episode of Gintama.
Koshernova

I have a few questions you guys:

1) Has the Gundamn crew ever heard of Gundam 0079: War for Earth? For those who don't know, it's a 1990s PC/PS1 game that is basically an interactive movie with lots of bad CG, which was the style at the time (think Wing Commander except bad). Anyway, there's been uploads recently of the cinematics of that game, so you can take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiTosK80Wfk . They are, I believe, essential viewing for fans of 0079, and another sobering brightslap in the face about Gundam live action after G-saviour. In any case, I just wanted to hear your thoughts, since I doubt you'd ever talk about it in an actual segment. I'd personally love it if you could ever find anyone to interview who worked on this monstrosity!

2) This one is for Chris, non-mech related: I'm applying for a journalism course soon. I have a background portfolio, and a healthy cynicism and disdain for my fellow human. Are there any other qualities I will need as a beginning journalist, aside from a handy bottle of scotch and an understanding that Earth doesn't have the best culture?

3) And for Soul Bro: Hey! Do you ever play SF4 online? I know I'd love to have a throw down, my friend!

EDIT 4) I was wondering if the Gundamn crew has read the Colony Drop anime blog, and what do you think about it? Surely it generates a lot of controversy, but I like that the authors don't shy away from being confrontational and at times, it feels like they've borrowed the Straight-Talk express. They also have a focus on trying to have more mature, sober anime blogging, and they sure do highlight lots of sci-fi/mech shows. Any thoughts, you guys?
Last edited by Koshernova on Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Xhavalor

Hello Gundamn!,

As mentioned in the last podcast, all three of you have taken a liking to a number of Gundam soundtracks. As such, do you believe some of the modern animated incarnations of Gundam are detracting from the soundtracks themselves?
An example: SEED Destiny was scored by Toshihiko Sahashi. The show itself was undoubtedly painful to watch. Contrarily, the music was quite composed well.

As Destiny is negatively viewed, it may (or may not) drag down the audience's opinion on the music.
Requiemu, Requieemmmm!
"It was always a treat to hear the voice actors have to really struggle to say it!"
kayone73

One of the common running jokes in the podcast is poking fun at director Fukuda for the rampant use of flashbacks in Gundam Seed & Seed Destiny, while I remembered key ones like Nicol's death and Kagali's flaming father like you frequently mention, I hadn't seen the series since the original release of the DVDs a while back so I started rewatching again. OMG, I didn't realize how bad it was. Flashbacks worked in every possible moment, some just an ep ago, some a few eps ago, some reused within the same ep.

Do you know of any other (i'll open this up to ANY anime series) that uses/abuses this storytelling/narrative/animation cheat as badly as the Seed series did or can Fukuda claim an acheivement here for least amount of original animation used to produce an entire TV series.
Last edited by kayone73 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Momaru

Chris, is it me or does white beard always remind you of another white mustache namely the turn A gundam? Maybe they were separated at birth? When I first saw whitebeard I was instantly reminded of the turn A. Can you guys think of any other gundam references anime? Shaman King and Hellsing come to mind.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Arbiter GUNDAM

Here we go again!
1. Even though this is more sci-fi than mecha, I would like to know what y'all think. Which of the four Rebel Alliance starfighters is your favorite? X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing or B-Wing?

2. This one hearkens back to episode 10 of Gundamn and the Star Trek/Star Wars/Gundam discussion. If Chris and Neo have any thoughts about this I'd love to hear them but back in that episode I think Chris said that Voyager and Enterprise drove him away from Star Trek? I was just curious as to why that is.

3. Neo, can we hear your Rosamia impression again? There was another impression that I was thinking of, but I forgot it. (No it wasn't Jay Leno) Maybe we could also hear Chris' Ali impression? :)
Last edited by Arbiter GUNDAM on Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Just so you know Arbiter Chris will probably shoot your question down in flames, I gave it a try with Code Geass but not much better results there either.