Corsair's Gambit: Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

How come some people have two Gundams and characters?
ORegan

cardi, im confused on how they are fixed armaments if they can be removed. i though they are optional if they have to be hand carried
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
mcred23

Hand carried weapons are what the name says, carried by hand.

Fixed armaments are weapons that can be mounted on a mobile suit and do not always require the hands to use.

Optional weapons are what the title says; optional. You can add them on or leave them off if the pilot so chooses. They don't have to be hand carried. A example of an optional fixed weapon would be the Zoloat's beam cannons. They aren't a standard feature, be can be added on if desired.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Cardi Doorl

Perhaps a clearer explanation is that just because it is a hand-carried weapon doesn't mean it automatically goes under "Optional Hand Armaments". Optional hand armaments refer to weapons that aren't affixed or stored on the unit itself.

In the case of the Leprechaun Gundam, the shillelagh (now I'll never be entirely sure I'm spelling that right), shield, and grenade launcher start off mounted on the Gundam itself (hip, back, and rear waist, respectively). The fact that they are hand-carried in use doesn't change that.

It's for this same reason that the RX-78-2 Gundam's beam sabers are listed as fixed weapons - they're mounted/stored on the mobile suit itself. That differs from its beam rifle and bazooka, which are carried into battle by hand and are essentially optional rather than being built into the unit.

Hope that helps.
CAIB wrote:How come some people have two Gundams and characters?
Well, because that's basically allowed, within reason. It's not something I recommend by any stretch, though, as you basically have to put twice as much effort into the RPG. Less experienced RPers are probably better off not doing this. I'm even iffy about experienced RPers doing it sometimes - I know I've often been hamstrung in the Zeta RPG, where I'm juggling a rather large lineup still. Not that it can't be done, of course; some people pull it off rather wonderfully. In my opinion, though, it's best to avoid doing this until one is very well grounded in RPing. Trust me, the ones who've made multiples know what they're doing.

After all, it's rather effortless to create a character - God knows I could churn out a dozen for this RPG - but once the RPing starts you have to actually maintain them, and that's where it gets taxing. With obligations in the Zeta RPG to consider, as well as the fact that I'll be GMing this RPG, I know I'll refrain from making more than one fighter unless there's a pressing circumstance.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

The Neo Sweden support team:

The Neo Sweden support ship Stockholm is a large land battleship very similar in design to the old military hover craft of old, it has a large central bay for for storing and repairing the Gundam which is partially covered by the living quarters/ command section, armored sides and front gate, it is also lightly armed with three 2-barrel beam cannon turrets and a pair of 8 tube missile launchers on either side of the bridge. It's driven by 4 thermo nuclear engine pods which can swivel to turn the battleship nearly on a dime.

The crew consists of:

Mathias Pederson: A small man but a master mechanic, his looks bely his 60 years, he has a bad habit of taking things apart when they don't need to be taken apart. He is the head mechanic for the Hatchet gundam, he demands an almost military level of efficiency form his mechanic team. He also helped in he design and construction of the Hatchet Gundam.

Nikolai Knutsen: A true prude, he is the head of the Gundam commitee for Neo Sweden, he is a fanatical health freak. He has been likened to a walking schedule book. His staff handles any of the paperwork that comes up during the Gundam fight, including wants and warrants

Fredrick Oszier: The military end of Neo Swedens Gundam team, he is very loose for a military man, he tends to try and make everything into a joke, he used to be apart of the Swedish Counter terrorist units till he was wounded by a shotgun blast through a wall. His platoon of soldiers helps keep Sam out of trouble in bars more than they protect him.

I'll expand on the histories of these guys later and ok about the characters thing, I understand now
Last edited by CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wedge14

I have a question, I don't wanna stir the pot or anything. But since this is a gundam fight, and its a round robin how would someone controlling more then 1 Gundam Fighter face the situation of them pitting their own two characters against each other. Maybe this is just the lil paranoid voices in my head, but it wouldn't be that hard to create some easy wins for 1 fighter by having complete control of another.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Fritz Ashlyn

RGM-79G GM Command wrote:(Although I didn't see a problem with them anyway, since the Ingram and R-1 had revolvers.)
That wasn't the point. :?

The Ingram and R-1 weren't designed as a kooky caricature of the nation of Japan. There's nothing in the rules about what a Gundam's weapons or motif have to follow, but Japanese revolvers don't really fit in with the G Gundam style of design. This was just the opinion of Cardi and myself when we went over your unit.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Ziryab

Wedge14 wrote:I have a question, I don't wanna stir the pot or anything. But since this is a gundam fight, and its a round robin how would someone controlling more then 1 Gundam Fighter face the situation of them pitting their own two characters against each other. Maybe this is just the lil paranoid voices in my head, but it wouldn't be that hard to create some easy wins for 1 fighter by having complete control of another.
True. I don't know about the others but I've been entertaining the thought that when that time comes, and if the GMs are okay with it: I can 1) either ask/beg one of the other RPers to temporarily take command of one of my other chars or 2) ask/beg two RPers to play both characters out for me or 3) skip the matter entirely and the let the GMs decide who would win--then make an according post of the battle.

And Cardi take your time in getting a review of Neo Hong Kong's entry. I'm in no hurry.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

we could have designated players for something like that
Cardi Doorl

Folken, the Odin Gundam is now approved.

As for the concern brought up by Wedge and Ziryab:

In the event that both contestants are from the same RPer, you have several options:

- You can, as Ziryab proposed, ask someone else to RP one of them for that fight, provided they're willing/able.

- Go with Ziryab's third suggestion, where a GM would decide the winner (I, personally, would just flip a coin :P) and write out a narrative of the battle.

In all honesty, I'd advise the first possibility as the better choice, with the second only if you can't find someone willing to take over.

RGM-79G GM Command

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:
RGM-79G GM Command wrote:(Although I didn't see a problem with them anyway, since the Ingram and R-1 had revolvers.)
That wasn't the point. :?

The Ingram and R-1 weren't designed as a kooky caricature of the nation of Japan. There's nothing in the rules about what a Gundam's weapons or motif have to follow, but Japanese revolvers don't really fit in with the G Gundam style of design. This was just the opinion of Cardi and myself when we went over your unit.
I've actually never seen Japanese Revolvers. Well there were only two or three Japanese Gundams (IIRC.) shown in G Gundam and God Gundam was more or less an upgrade to the Shining, and both of them had no hand held guns (Unless you mean all of G Gundam which didn't have any revolvers IIRC (It has been a long time since I saw G Gundam.).

The revolvers I had on my Gundam didn't look anything like any real guns (That I know of.) and I thought you guys might have thought they were like this or like other Western revolvers. Although I already got rid of them so no point in talking about them now, machine guns fit my style more anyway. (Although I should have said machine gun since I removed the second 90mm.)
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
ORegan

ok i understand the whole optional/fixed armaments, so i'll fix it accordingly, except I'm leavin the "potatoe" Grenade launcher as optional as I don't plan on having him bring it into battle every time. but when he does, it'll have a place to be stored while not in use
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Cardi Doorl

Leprechaun Gundam now approved.

Wedge: Something just dawned on me as I finished editing in the approval message for ORegan's entry - is your Tsar Bomb basically just the Final Atomic Buster in Gundam form? "P

Wedge14

Cardi Doorl wrote: Wedge: Something just dawned on me as I finished editing in the approval message for ORegan's entry - is your Tsar Bomb basically just the Final Atomic Buster in Gundam form? "P

Basically? It is the final atomic buster glad somebody noticed! :D Originally i was just gonna make a 'gief gundam but then i figured that was too much like the Bolt gundam so i went with ballerina powers instead.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Cardi Doorl

Well, I suppose that explains the flamethrower in the mouth... and a special mode named after a metal...

Also, an odd thing has been brought to my attention: Folken, all of your characters (including your support crew) have strongly non-Norwegian (indeed, non-Nordic/Scandinavian-in-general) names. All these surnames (Daniels, Ridgely, Maybridge, Cox) are very English, and all the given names except "Odel" are as well. Is there a reason for this?

Anonymous

Is it okay if I draw up a mecha design for my Gundam if I decide to join?
Cardi Doorl

Of course it's alright! Hell, at least two (as far as I can remember off the top of my head) have images posted. Doing such is encouraged.

Just make sure you'll follow through and actually RP, k? ;)

RGM-79G GM Command

Do you guys mind if I put the second 90mm back on? I'll remove the Pile Bunker if you want. I just feel really uncomfertable with only one gun and some vulcans.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Ascension

Neo-Scotland Support Team:

Mobile Headquarters: The Brigadoon, a Stirling-class mobile fortress. It basically looks like a small medieval castle on legs, and moves quite slowly. It is, in fact, so slow that the team usually operates out of transport aircraft, only returning to Brigadoon when extensive repairs are needed. Being a fortress, it mounts a good bit of weaponry and has a large enough hangar to carry a number of mobile suits, but most of its offensive capabilities have been disabled for the duration of the Gundam Fight.

Tactical Advisor/Backup Gundam Fighter: Moira Douglas: As the winner of the Highland dance portion of the Highland Games, she was a potential Gundam fighter canidate. She and Alexander were fierce competitors in the final stages of the selection process. She lost to Alexander in combat trials, but outperformed him in the written exams. In the end, he was chosen to be Neo-Scotland's fighter, but she was offered the postion of tactical advisor. She accepted, but Alexander suspects she joined the team for the sole purpose of annoying him...

Chief Mechanic: Jenny O'Keefe: The daughter of an Irish father and a Scottish mother, Jenny often threatens to defect to the Neo-Ireland team when she feels she isn't getting enough respect from the Neo-Scotland team... which is often. She is outspoken, critical, and stubborn, but she's incredibly good at what she does.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Folken Fanel

Cardi Doorl wrote:Well, I suppose that explains the flamethrower in the mouth... and a special mode named after a metal...

Also, an odd thing has been brought to my attention: Folken, all of your characters (including your support crew) have strongly non-Norwegian (indeed, non-Nordic/Scandinavian-in-general) names. All these surnames (Daniels, Ridgely, Maybridge, Cox) are very English, and all the given names except "Odel" are as well. Is there a reason for this?
No, I just don't know that many Norwegian names. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.