Ten-hut!

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.

Which option do you prefer?

Historical Mode
67%
Alternate Mode
33%

Total votes: 12
Fritz Ashlyn

Ten-hut!

After a period of discussion and reflection, the Trinary has decided what the next RPG will be in lieu of allowing the section members to vote. We did this for a number of reasons, including first and foremost the hope that this game will be as fun and engaging for all of you as we think it will! We're proud to announce:

Super Robot Wars: Greatest Generation

A SRW adventure set not in the future, but in an alternate history! With a remarkable energy breakthrough in the early 1920s, the world's technology was revolutionized. Walking tanks, jet fighters, and war mecha of all shapes and sizes. And in the late 30s, Europe is preparing for war...

Now, what we need from you guys is a vote. We're ready to proceed with the game in two possible ways: 1) "historical" setting, in which the real Axis and Allies are represented and some of the biggest events of the era occur (both good and evil), or 2) "alternate" setting, which makes things potentially unpredictable and mixes things up even more.

Please vote, AND THEN EXPLAIN YOUR VOTE HERE. We want as much feedback as we can get! Feel free to also give us any comments, suggestions, or ideas you have!
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Cardi Doorl

Re: Ten-hut!

Already explained my vote to Fritz and Red, but really, going the historical route would allow us to focus on our characters and whatever localized conflict we want to concentrate on. If we try for some kind of alternate history, then the altered global politics of it would intrude on our own story inevitably, and we'd lose focus.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
King Monkey

I picked alternate mode because of 3 simple words: Republic...of...Texas.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
Arbiter GUNDAM

I see what you're saying Cardi but if we're really going to do World War II meets Giant Robots then I figure we might as well mix it up. Why? Well, it seems to me that if we go the historical route, then what we do might be fun but we already know who's going to win. With an alternate history the players might have to actually struggle against an unknown future.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Inferno

Actually, I wish I could change my vote, if only for the chance to do a LoGH-style RPG where the behind-the-lines global politics and tactics take precedence over the mecha combat itself...
blind_dead_mcjones

historical: for more or less the same reasons cardi outlined, if we try to do an alternate history or something where we have to do a lot of world building (like with the last three rpg's that were attempted) then the pacing of the story will get bogged down people will inevitably lose interest and so on and so forth

i do disagree with what arbiter gundam says about the ending being predetermined, while yes that may be true that who wins and who loses is already known for us i think that actually works in its favour for the following reasons

* for the characters themselves it won't be known and thus the desperation and hope that will be over soon will still be there (case in point: tftf)
* the purpose behind this is not to 'win' per se, but to tell a story
* with the beginning and end already done for us it will allow everyone to concentrate on the middle
* while the ending is important and can make or break a story (just look at mass effect 3 on how not to do an ending) it's also important to remember that its not the destinaton that matters but the journey to get there as well, if i've quoted that saying correctly

my only gripe is having it in a world war II setting, personally i'd much rather something more in the cold war era, paced across multiple stages, each one being a set number of chapters dedicated to the individual conflicts that occured during that era
Flag Fighter for life!
Fritz Ashlyn

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:my only gripe is having it in a world war II setting, personally i'd much rather something more in the cold war era, paced across multiple stages, each one being a set number of chapters dedicated to the individual conflicts that occured during that era
You know what, you're right. The Cold War is much more interesting as a setting, with global political intrigue and crazy spy agency antics, and also April Fools'.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
wonton bob

lol, u suck. I always get suckered in these pretend rpg votes. Even if it's April 3rd.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Rob DS Zeta

This was fake? Good thing I held off on voting and planning...
*insert witty eyecatch here*
Cardi Doorl

I guess these tend to work better when people post on the day of :S
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Sume Gai

One really should be prepared for this LOL. The Trinary do -something- every year. Last year's was a little more obvious (particularly since talk of a historical Mecha RPG has been heard round here) and I fell for it.

Nonetheless this is still an interesting topic for discussion. In a more general sense how important it is to stick to Cannon in an RP within an established universe. Considering I want to see PCs filling in the world bit by bit I personally consider adhering to pre-established Cannon a relatively minor concern I think it's more important to have a bit more creative freedom especially when your community may not be fully familiar with the Cannon of your subject matter (for example, I'm not a history buff in the least and know I would mess up if we tried to stick to real life events).
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern