NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
EZero8

Re: NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

How about a Macross Zero inspired RPG? UN Spacy versus the Anti-United Nations. VF-0's versus SV-51's. Hell, we could even have some non-Overtech action during the initial stages, considering the Tomcat and Fulcrum were featured in the films.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Fritz Ashlyn

Omega wrote:Now a much simpler idea that the Trinary might be a tad wary of, would be a 'Grunt Wars' counterpart to TARRRPG... (Though I question the odds of it happening)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEMfxFEaXw#t=0m13s
Tangerine: Are you saying you don't want to see those particular grunts, or you just don't want any grunts period in the next RP?
I don't want to put words in Tangerine's mouth, but I seriously doubt she means "no grunt suits of any kind, at all".
EZero8 wrote:How about a Macross Zero inspired RPG?

I'm honestly kinda surprised we haven't had a Macross RPG on the board. You should talk to my brother and see if you can cook up something awesome.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Tangerine

Omega wrote:Tangerine: Are you saying you don't want to see those particular grunts, or you just don't want any grunts period in the next RP?
What Fritz' said.

As long as you don't just swap a Zaku for a Ginn or similar grunty units.

But then again, it seems that you wanted to pull a Gundam X or a Turn A gundam in combination with Gundam Wing. I just feel that it's been reused too many times. Kingdom, rebels, pacifist ideas, etc. I want something fresh and not lean too heavily on politics or ideology. Other than that, the normal settings with two radicals clashing to each other always make the game moves in a very slow progress. Introduction, ideas of why we fight, some small skirmishes and then bam* ended up in a final battle as a climax. There’s nothing to do in the meantime else than writing up sorrow stories or conjure up some tragic background stories.

I wanted a RP where we just don’t need to write up such story. More to that, I also wanted the game to include situations where characters will think “it’s happening now, what should I do”. and it’s not happening because of some old stories or some past mistakes. It’s simply happening now and the players will have to fight for their own survival.

Looking to what I wrote above, I believe it’s actually closer to the spirit of the original gundam where a band of kids try to survive on their own from day one while being constantly chased by greater foe. Why don't we do something like this for a change?
Cybaster

Tangerine wrote:I want something fresh and not lean too heavily on politics or ideology. Other than that, the normal settings with two radicals clashing to each other always make the game moves in a very slow progress. Introduction, ideas of why we fight, some small skirmishes and then bam* ended up in a final battle as a climax. There’s nothing to do in the meantime else than writing up sorrow stories or conjure up some tragic background stories.

I wanted a RP where we just don’t need to write up such story. More to that, I also wanted the game to include situations where characters will think “it’s happening now, what should I do”. and it’s not happening because of some old stories or some past mistakes. It’s simply happening now and the players will have to fight for their own survival.

Looking to what I wrote above, I believe it’s actually closer to the spirit of the original gundam where a band of kids try to survive on their own from day one while being constantly chased by greater foe. Why don't we do something like this for a change?
I don't know about you guys, but I actually want to see something considerably more light-hearted and where PCs don't literally have the weight of the entire Earth Sphere on their shoulders, along the lines of Gunpla Builders. Even TARRRPG with its light-hearted start became considerably too dark as the game went on; It'd be nice to see something with an overall persisting light mood throughout much of the RPG, if not all of it. (Yeah, I know, I initially thought of a RoboCop RPG earlier, but...yeah, on second thought, let's not, especially where someone can pump so many bullets into an enemy it blows a gaping hole in his chest. =S)

Perhaps akin to World of Warcraft: Gnomes and Goblins or something like that, where PCs are engineers of either of those two races trying to impress the Argent Crusade with broken-down machines --- complete with 'almost completely safe, yet wacky effects' and/or machines simply prone to explode spectacularly on you at any given time. :P
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
SNT1

How about a Fast and Furious type plot?

Except, with mecha, instead of cars. No military-style ranks, and the most military-type of unit/squad one can have is a SWAT equivalent. I have no clue how one would RP racing, but it can be like fight club instead.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wedge14

I really like the ideas i am seeing. It's good that most of us have decided to try something different.

I'd really like to see some smaller scale mecha. That way we can have a more flexible cast if we go the combat route. We can have soldier characters taking down the robits which is always cool in my mind. :D

How about a world, where everyone uses mecha. I mean like an elite business man gets up in the morning and drives his sports mecha to work.
A worker drives his moderatly priced mecha to the quarry, then he gets into a larger utility mecha and starts work.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Wingnut

Wedge14 wrote:How about a world, where everyone uses mecha. I mean like an elite business man gets up in the morning and drives his sports mecha to work.
A worker drives his moderatly priced mecha to the quarry, then he gets into a larger utility mecha and starts work.
Have the PCs be cops, and we have our own psudo-Patlabor setting. :)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
SNT1

I'd really like to see some smaller scale mecha. That way we can have a more flexible cast if we go the combat route. We can have soldier characters taking down the robits which is always cool in my mind. :D

How about a world, where everyone uses mecha. I mean like an elite business man gets up in the morning and drives his sports mecha to work.
4-meter mecha:
use VOTOMS mecha for police/SWAT/utility
use Code Geass mecha for personal civilian use

any other 4-meter mecha?
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Inferno

SNT1 wrote:How about a Fast and Furious type plot?

Except, with mecha, instead of cars. No military-style ranks, and the most military-type of unit/squad one can have is a SWAT equivalent. I have no clue how one would RP racing, but it can be like fight club instead.
I am really digging this idea. Maybe something akin to the Podraces of TPM but with Mecha?
I can see Votoms working well with this, what with the wheeled legs. Plus, the idea of 4-meter mecha seems to be getting popular.
Attomoku

SNT: Not exactly what you asked for but, something cool to add to any kind of 4m mechs scenario might be some of the powered exo-skeletons and think-tanks from Ghost in the Shell, I think they'd fit in pretty reasonably.
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
blind_dead_mcjones

SNT1: the TA's/Fakes from gasaraki

EDIT: if you want non anime examples there are the Wanzers (i think..) from the front mission series, and the reduced size AC's in armored core 5 (well technically they're 5 meters but its close enough to 4)
Tangerine wrote: I wanted a RP where we just don’t need to write up such story. More to that, I also wanted the game to include situations where characters will think “it’s happening now, what should I do”. and it’s not happening because of some old stories or some past mistakes. It’s simply happening now and the players will have to fight for their own survival.
i second this notion
Last edited by blind_dead_mcjones on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flag Fighter for life!
Wedge14

Im just going to keep listing ideas i have untill my mind runs blank. We should start actually submitting concrete ideas soon. I honestly don't plan on submitting an idea of my own. But I will be willing to Co-GM whatever game is selected. (depending theres a few games i can think of i'd want no part of...)

Now how about an invasion scenario. Earth is invaded by some kind of race that utilizes mecha. We can set this in any time period, creating a wide brevy of ideas we can call from. Heck when can make the actual aliens miniscule and their high powered super mecha are actually only 2m tall! :lol:

Inferno

Actually, going off of Wedge's idea, I remember some sort of gag series a buddy of mine came up with a while ago about aliens/demons/whatever all coming through some supernatural portal at a school/office/convenince store and the hero(s) taking them on, and fighting them off, with nothing but everyday objects, like staplers, mops, and folding chairs. Ideally, this would be a humorous RPG, and would also be pretty lighthearted. (Think of it: beating down Cthulhu with a broom? Try not to laugh)
Tangerine

I think overly humorous RPG will be hard to play. Beating an alien with broomstick might be funny for a while and we could think tons of different albeit similar funny ways about it but in the end it's going to be boring, if not entirely odd and too random to be played. Partially I think the fact that it will not be coherent will be the biggest problem.

What to do then when a player could justify just about anything about his/her characters action since beating a monster with a broomstick is plausible. I would be a bit far off maybe but I imagined the RP would be something like WB cartoons with Aliens instead of the usual Bugs Bunny and Daffy duck. It could work for a comedy show but I doubt suitable for RP playing since it doesn’t offer reliable ways of story development or advancement.

A bit different is racing RPG. Ok it’s sounds nice but really… a text based RP with racing in mind? I tried but I just don’t know what to write about. What’s the goal else than winning, success or get rich? How can it be played else than get into the race and running from police? What to write else than fixing/upgrading your mecha-car and everyday lives? I love the settings but not really into the racing idea. :oops:

Those things aside, how bout things like the Matrix. No, not the story but the settings. It has those exoskeleton armor in the third movie, I believe.
Fritz Ashlyn

I have to agree - I like the idea of some sort of "racing" RPG, but I just don't know how well it could be pulled off. Without some strong plot point, it would firmly center the focus of player interaction on competing solely to win a concrete competition, even moreso than something like G Gundam with one on one fights.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of a sort of law enforcement... thing. It doesn't have to be completely serious, as there are many, many cliches to draw from in character creation and a lot of them lend themselves to situations other than grim, futuristic police drama.

What about a police mecha whatchamacalit that is retro-futuristic? Like a 70s cop setting but in a world where robots have been around for decades. Can you dig it, robot sucka? The 1973 mecha fuel rod crisis is in full swing, summer in the big city is so hot you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, and massive afros and disco are still hip.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Inferno

Fritz Ashlyn wrote: What about a police mecha whatchamacalit that is retro-futuristic? Like a 70s cop setting but in a world where robots have been around for decades. Can you dig it, robot sucka? The 1973 mecha fuel rod crisis is in full swing, summer in the big city is so hot you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, and massive afros and disco are still hip.
The nation is reeling in shock from the horrifying mecha violence of the Vietnam War. Veteran pilots build custom transformable bike mechs to ride away from the terrors of the East. The drug trade booms as the versatility of mecha makes smuggling even easier. The US and the Soviets are still tense, and now the Chinese are becoming a manufacturing powerhouse with their own mecha.

Aw yeah, I can dig the 70's.
Rob DS Zeta

Inferno wrote:
Fritz Ashlyn wrote: What about a police mecha whatchamacalit that is retro-futuristic? Like a 70s cop setting but in a world where robots have been around for decades. Can you dig it, robot sucka? The 1973 mecha fuel rod crisis is in full swing, summer in the big city is so hot you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, and massive afros and disco are still hip.
The nation is reeling in shock from the horrifying mecha violence of the Vietnam War. Veteran pilots build custom transformable bike mechs to ride away from the terrors of the East. The drug trade booms as the versatility of mecha makes smuggling even easier. The US and the Soviets are still tense, and now the Chinese are becoming a manufacturing powerhouse with their own mecha.

Aw yeah, I can dig the 70's.
I can dig.
*insert witty eyecatch here*
SNT1

One can replace "racing" with "fighting." Like I said, like Fight Club with 4-meter-or-less mecha. Something with illegal betting, then we have a couple of undercover cops with some shiny ricer Gloucester or something. Then add a sinister gang lord that they actually have to take down, who controls the underground fighting scene but in reality the cops want him to be arrested once they get enough proof and warrant. Then, a street war between the po-po, and one or two rival gangs in a three-way battle with one faction having the undercover cops. Just like a Fast-and-Furious movie (again replace racing with fighting), a fun plot, and possibly short (not like a super-long campaign like an entire Gundam Fight), short enough that it will be action packed and will reach its climax before people get bored.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wedge14

Im in love with this 70s mechasploitation idea.

Inferno

So I know it's got "trouble" written all over it, but I think this original setting needs original mecha. See, I'm thinking one-person transformable car mechs (think transfomers but a bit smaller), along with bike mechs (a la Megazone 23), with maybe some helicopter mechs for the SWAT teams. I guess the rest would be up to the individual applicant's design?