4th Gundam Fight: Final Gambit: Discussion thread.

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Donna Strife

Re: 4th Gundam Fight: Final Gambit: Discussion thread.

G Gundam was wonderful silly fun. It had Neo Siberia's GF11-042NSB Mammoth Gundam for one thing.

And I know it's an unofficial Newtype Magazine design but who the heck was the Dog Gundam supposed to represent? The Neo Animal Kingdom or something?
The Big Zabowski

TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
teleute

I think it's safe to say we are in an alternate universe... of an alternate universe. This game is vaguely related to the last forum game, I believe. And the winner last game was different from canon, which probably means we are well outside of canon territory. Which I think makes things much more interesting.
PhantomBread

Neo-Georgia Gundam, one that constantly gets mistaken for the OTHER Neo-Georgia that has a habit of being invaded by Russia.

I'm at a loss for Neo-West Virginia, though.
mcred23

teleute wrote:I think it's safe to say we are in an alternate universe... of an alternate universe. This game is vaguely related to the last forum game, I believe. And the winner last game was different from canon, which probably means we are well outside of canon territory. Which I think makes things much more interesting.
I thought Wedge mentioned it somewhere, or it may have been in one of the threads for the old RPG, but this is indeed an Alternate FC universe, so we don't have to worry about fitting everything back into place by FC 60. However, we're trying to keep things somewhat similar, which is why we don't want Neo East St. Louis or Neo East Germany. :P
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Cybaster

Now, here's a question.

You know those combat stats that all Gundam Fighters have? What exactly do they represent? Some of them are fairly straightforward, such as Speed, Offence and Defence, Power is physical strength as opposed to offensive capabilities such as ranged weapons, sure...

But what exactly do Search and Adaptability do for a Mobile Fighter, and why do Gundam Fighters actually *need* them?
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
EZero8

Cybaster wrote:But what exactly do Search and Adaptability do for a Mobile Fighter, and why do Gundam Fighters actually *need* them?
Search should be pretty straightforward as well. It's pretty much a measure of the Gundam's sensor systems and ability to locate enemies at varying ranges. The higher the search stat, the longer the range of a Gundam's sensors. For example: the John Bull Gundam has a very high search stat (28.19) because Gentle Chapman is basically a sniper from long distances, whereas close-combat Gundams such as the Shining Gundam have comparably low search stats (18.17 in normal mode).

As for adaptability, I'm just assuming it has something to do with what kinds of terrain each Gundam can fight in. Like if a Gundam has a low adaptability stat, it loses the ability to operate effectively underwater or on mountainous terrain or something.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Wedge14

Adaptability is how well a unit can handle different terrains for the main part. This is actually more important this time around then last time.

Search, is pretty much how well the unit's sensors are.

They may not seem that big of deal compared to the other stuff, but if your gundam has problems seeing the enemy, or handling the terrain it doesn't really matter how high the other stats are. All of the stats should be treated as equally as important for the most part.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Attomoku

A hyperactive 12 year old was not exactly what I had in mind Cyb, but it does have some charm
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
teleute

EZero8 wrote:Search should be pretty straightforward as well. It's pretty much a measure of the Gundam's sensor systems and ability to locate enemies at varying ranges. The higher the search stat, the longer the range of a Gundam's sensors. For example: the John Bull Gundam has a very high search stat (28.19) because Gentle Chapman is basically a sniper from long distances, whereas close-combat Gundams such as the Shining Gundam have comparably low search stats (18.17 in normal mode).
Okay... I need to redo my stats then. My character relies on fighting through fog and it would be kinda stupid if he can't see through his own fog! Are we still allowed to move stats around a bit?
liubei013

@stats: Hmm...I second that. I would also like a brief clarification over Offence versus Power (though someone else explained it...sort of).
Tangerine

Wedge14 wrote:Adaptability is how well a unit can handle different terrains for the main part. This is actually more important this time around then last time.

Search, is pretty much how well the unit's sensors are.

They may not seem that big of deal compared to the other stuff, but if your gundam has problems seeing the enemy, or handling the terrain it doesn't really matter how high the other stats are. All of the stats should be treated as equally as important for the most part.
Wedgie, (or anyone else) could you help me with short list of what I need to know about this RPG universe?
Cybaster

David was suddenly dismissed from the league after he slashed a player in the back of the neck with his hockey stick ending the skaters career. On a two year suspension Stedmore was quite surprised when his old rival and former gundam fighter Quinn Patrick showed up at his home with an idea.
Y'know, Wedgie, if David's Gundam Fighting stint doesn't work out, he can always make a killing stalking Running Men as an alternate career path... 8)

(And then Ivan can kill him and say this. XD)
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Fritz Ashlyn

Tangerine wrote:Wedgie, (or anyone else) could you help me with short list of what I need to know about this RPG universe?
It isn't necessary to know anything about the last G Gundam RPG beyond what is in this game's blurb, first of all. We're doing an alternate 4th Gundam Fight, ignoring the actual "historical" results so we can all do as we please. So you're free to pick a country (a REAL one at this point) and create its Gundam.

When it comes to the actual fighting, since this time there's 3 co-GMs (Wedge being more "co-" than Red and I for the purposes of the game) we'll be monitoring every fight to step in whenever we feel someone should take an attack or if a fight has gone on for too long. This is another sort of "freeform collective fanfic" RPG like the other games on here.

And to everyone asking about the stats, once the fight starts those will be more for us to worry about. You should just have some idea of what your Gundam is capable of, but leave the tiny differences in numbers for us.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Attomoku

liubei013 wrote:@stats: Hmm...I second that. I would also like a brief clarification over Offence versus Power (though someone else explained it...sort of).
As Fritz said, don't worry about the stats but let me give a brief overview just the same for posterity's sake.

Power is a measure of the machine's brawn and brute strength. Your character physically may be all muscle but with out a good Power rating he can't make full use of his strength. It basically boils down to showing the odds on who would win in a Gundam arm wrestling match.

Offence is a measure of a machine's total potential or ability to deal damage in a single all out assault. Power behind blows helps but is not necessary with something like a flamethower or beam gun. Offence is more or less the sum of its fixed and hand held weapons balanced against it's Power rating. Take my Kitsune gundam: it has a low power rating and cant punch or kick though Knict gundam's full plate but sure as hell can slag it with flamethowers, blast it with multiple machine guns, and wail on it with a beam saber until it gives up the ghost. Knict gundam meanwhile is only equiped with swords yet our offence ratings are (nearly) equal because he can use the heavy swords very effectively thanks to its high power rating

For the other stats, Speed (how quick is it) and Defence (how much damage can it shrug off and remain effective) ought to be self explanatory and EZero8 did a good job of explaining Search (sensor sensitivity) and Adaptability (combat effectiveness in varying terrain) but I wanted to add that Adaptability is a measure of how well the machine adjusts to changing combat conditions in general and not just terrain. A machine with low adaptability must be "in it's element" so to speak in order for it to fight effectively. To use it again as an example, the Knict gundam is a close combat monster but can do very little when outside melee range, its low Adaptability rating reflects this, showing that it cannot alter its "combat stance" from short range to medium or long range easily or at all. The Kitsune gundam on the other hand, while being most effective at medium-short range, can move near seamlessly between short, medium, and long range and still be somewhat effective is reflected by its high Adaptability rating, that fact that it it can keep its hands free to react and still deploy much of its arsenal helps in this regard too.

And there you have it. A thorough look at what the stats represent. Now, GUNDAM FIGHT ALL SET! READY!? GO!!
(Oh, Thanks Zangetsu for letting me borrow your gundam)
IAN: (Shaking fist up at sky in a storm of GN particles) Science does not WORK this way, Setsuna!!!
liubei013

Thank you so much for the clarification, in regards to both the stats and the way this RP'll work.

Looking back, I won't bother modify my stats now that I get the full picture of each characteristic, as the current stat layout seems to suit the fighter. :)
mcred23

Besides, us Trinary guys have final say on all the stat numbers. Those of you who did provide numbers, we just looked at them and adjusted them as we saw fit.

Like Wedge mentioned in the Sign Up thread, the stat numbers are lagrely useless and really just serve to give you a very general idea of how the Gundams would compare to one and other, but don't look into them too much. One thing we saw while putting many of them together is that some units may have what seems like lower stats or a lower total, but may end up being the better Gundams (Assuming, of course, the people in control of them use them in the right ways :mrgreen:).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Zangetsu

No problem Attomoku. You summed up my Knict well, though I think you underestimate my full plate armor. :mrgreen:
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
Wedge14

I got some real life stuff coming up these next few days. So don't expect to see me around much till tuesday.

Also hey fritz and red, should we close it off for submissions by wednesday?
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
blind_dead_mcjones

as i mentioned earlier in the Tftf thread i won't be posting from friday the 23rd through to sunday 25th as i'l be at avcon
Flag Fighter for life!