Beijing Olympics Thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
SNT1

Beijing Olympics Thread

Who's ready? 8)

I know it's a bit early, but why not. I changed my avatar into go go USA! USA! USA! mode. Hoping that they rack up the most medals, not let the likes of China and Russia dominate. I know we have alot of USA USA USA people here, but also a fair share of Canadians.

And my most important concern...

...is that USA Basketball better, better get Gold. Kobe and Jason Kidd? Dwight Howard (who's been a MONSTER on the paint last NBA season)? We best get defending.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
V2Buster

oh, the NBA players finally decided it is an HONOR to represent their country at the Olympic games?

I'm cheering for the Canucks to dominate rowing again this year.
assault gundam

GO CANADA!!!!! :D
"The person who said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"
Battosai28

I was never too involved with the olympics (I missed the "defeat the Soviets era") What I do find interesting is China's last ditch effort to lower polution in order to get rid of Beijing's notorious smog. I heard on CNN that they are taking a million cars off the road (people are only allowed to drive every other day) Simply put, this can not be good for the nation's economy, never mind the people. Any thoughts?
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
V2Buster

Battosai28 wrote:I was never too involved with the olympics (I missed the "defeat the Soviets era") What I do find interesting is China's last ditch effort to lower polution in order to get rid of Beijing's notorious smog. I heard on CNN that they are taking a million cars off the road (people are only allowed to drive every other day) Simply put, this can not be good for the nation's economy, never mind the people. Any thoughts?
The olympics are really never good for any nation's economy. The expenses that have to go into building all the venues (as if existing ones aren't good enough anyways), the improvements to public transit, the hiring and training of extra peace officers, etc, are astronomical. And then once the Olympics are over, you got a track and field stadium that no one will ever use.
Chris
Administrator

I shouldn't have to point this out, but just as a pre-emptive reminder, let's make sure we keep all discussion limited to the games themselves. This thread has no place for anything about China, human rights, Tibet, protests, or whatever. That is all. 8)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
SNT1

V2Buster wrote:
Battosai28 wrote:I was never too involved with the olympics (I missed the "defeat the Soviets era") What I do find interesting is China's last ditch effort to lower polution in order to get rid of Beijing's notorious smog. I heard on CNN that they are taking a million cars off the road (people are only allowed to drive every other day) Simply put, this can not be good for the nation's economy, never mind the people. Any thoughts?
The olympics are really never good for any nation's economy. The expenses that have to go into building all the venues (as if existing ones aren't good enough anyways), the improvements to public transit, the hiring and training of extra peace officers, etc, are astronomical. And then once the Olympics are over, you got a track and field stadium that no one will ever use.
You'd wonder why cities are clamoring for a chance to host the Olympics eh?

Media exposure is a key reason, though. Chicago, for example, is bidding for the 2016 Olympics. A lot of condo/hotel skyscrapers are going up there at the moment, and if they get the bid, the rich people can invest in those apartments, ultimately good for the economy. That's just a couple that I can think of at the top of my head.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Battosai28

Chris wrote:I shouldn't have to point this out, but just as a pre-emptive reminder, let's make sure we keep all discussion limited to the games themselves. This thread has no place for anything about China, human rights, Tibet, protests, or whatever. That is all. 8)
Yeah, my bad. For some reason I did not think that would lead to anything too political.

To get things back on track, how do you think the U.S and Canada are going to hold up against the competition? Patriotism aside.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Wingnut

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

SNT1 wrote:I know it's a bit early, but why not. I changed my avatar into go go USA! USA! USA! mode.
As have I. Now the Gundam Maxter would seem to be the obvious choice to go with here, but I'll leave that for someone else to use and am using Mic Sounders the 13th instead.

Although the US killed Canada in an exhibition match, Lebron seems to have been injured and was not able to play. Hopefully he'll get better by the time the games start.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
mcred23

Who reads what the subject of individual posts are?! :P

Wingnut wrote:Although the US killed Canada in an exhibition match, Lebron seems to have been injured and was not able to play. Hopefully he'll get better by the time the games start.
The rest of the team looked pretty good (Yeah, it was an exhibition game against Canada, I know...), but having a health Lebron James wouldn't hurt.

That said, the USA basketball team is probably going to be the only element of the Olympics I really follow to any extent, since honestly, most of the other events just don't interest me too much :|. In any event, on paper, the team should be great. They've looked good in the things they've done so far, and they've been preparing for this for a long time now, so they have some pretty high expectations to fill. Hopefully, they will. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Wedge14

Wait? Wut? Canada has a basketball team???

The REAL olympics don't start untill 2010 lol. =P

I'd love to go see the olympics myself to be honest. Is anyone going or ever gone to one?
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
SNT1

2012 games is in London, but cities are still bidding for a chance to host 2016... and Chicago is making a strong case. Other possible cities IIRC are Tokyo, Rio de Janiero, Dubai to name a few If it ends up Chi-town then its very possible to visit
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Aegis

I dunno... usually when the Olympics is about to hit, you know in your gut that it's coming. This time around, even though it's just around the corner, I don't feel particularly excited even for a bit.

At any rate... I just hope that Canada will actually have a better showing than the last time where everything just seemed to fall apart.
mcred23

Wedge14 wrote:Wait? Wut? Canada has a basketball team???
Yes. According to The Simpsons, it's quite easy to join it, so I'm sure you could if you wished. :P
Wedge14 wrote:The REAL olympics don't start untill 2010 lol. =P
Oddly enough, I'm interested in more events in the Winter Olympics than I am in the Summer Olympics (Like... three, as opposed to... one 8)).
SNT1 wrote:2012 games is in London, but cities are still bidding for a chance to host 2016... and Chicago is making a strong case. Other possible cities IIRC are Tokyo, Rio de Janiero, Dubai to name a few If it ends up Chi-town then its very possible to visit
The list I found on the internet, in order of some score system the IOC apparently uses, is Tokyo, Madrid, Chicago, and Rio De Janiero, with a bunch of others (Such as Prague) being eliminated not all that long ago (June 4th). Of course, they won't even elect which city they will be held in until October 2nd of next year, so that order may change by then.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Gadget

Lots of Olympic sportsman (stars) are stopping over in Singapore. Some for final preparation. Got to see the Brazilian soccer team having a pre Olympic warm up match against the National team. Can't wait to see the National team get slaughtered by samba soccer.
Wedge14

mcred23 wrote:
Yes. According to The Simpsons, it's quite easy to join it, so I'm sure you could if you wished. :P
I used to be able to dunk in highschool, so i'm sure i'd make captain fo sho!

Toronto was bidding for the 08 olympics. It would of been pretty crazy if they go it, considering i live and work in T.dot right now (in a hotel too). I would've probably died by now with all the tourists and what not demanding food at 3 am. =S
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
thenuke9000

I can't wait for the Olympics to start. And this year the coverage will be insane, almost all of the sports will be televised and broadcast throughout the day on the various NBC channels.
I am just waiting to watch televised air rifle, rhythmic gymnastics, and the plethora of other obscure sports just because I can, in addition to all of the track and field events because that 4x400 and 4x100 relays are completely amazing to watch.

GO USA!!!
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
Battosai28

thenuke9000 wrote:I can't wait for the Olympics to start. And this year the coverage will be insane, almost all of the sports will be televised and broadcast throughout the day on the various NBC channels.
I am just waiting to watch televised air rifle, rhythmic gymnastics, and the plethora of other obscure sports just because I can, in addition to all of the track and field events because that 4x400 and 4x100 relays are completely amazing to watch.

GO USA!!!
For obscure sports, you should probably order ESPN 8: The Ocho :D
Nimrod

I'll watch the games if they're on TV at the time I'm flip[ping around the dial but I won't go out of my way to wake up at 3am or lose any sleep if I miss anything like the trampoline or synchronized swimming.
Ryujin

The opening sure wasn't lacking in fireworks & sheer manpower...here's to hoping the rest of the Olympics proceed without any significant glitches.