your local area

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
quasadra

your local area

continued from the discussion i had with Recon 5. where do you live, what intresting event that had happen recently, what kind of a place you are living in?

i will start. as stated in the game section, i live in Malaysia. in a state know as Selangor, one of the 14 state in Malaysia. the biggiest news we recently have is we just had a national election, and the result is quiet shocking. tough the previously popular party, BN dont officially lose, but they does lose quite a number of province. where complete dominace is expected.

the area i live in called Klang Valley, is a quite place. down the south from the capital Kuala Lumpur. one thing worth mentioning is the large number of shooping center here. there are at least 7 or 8 shooping center near my house alone. and one cant not mention about Bah Kut Teh when talking about Klang, it a type of food that mix pork meat, some vegetables, mushroom, and special spice that each shop may differ in. it is delicious, one of many food that i grow up eating.

i will add more when i can remember.
Last edited by quasadra on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Recon 5

Not really much to add to quasadra's because I stayed in the same place for most of my life. However, I did spend a couple of years further north in Perak and a few in Johor (states in Malaysia, which for the uninitiated is a little growth off the bottom of Thailand...). I was also in Bristol for about half a year, and currently I'm based in Singapore, happily neglecting my studies... no wait, I really should do something about that.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Kishiria

I live in a part of San Diego called North Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Park ... California

There's a lot of gunfire and cops chasing after violent felons. On the other hand, we've got two grocery stores in walking distance, one of which is an amazing Mexican supermarket specializing in produce. We've got some of the best food in the city, including Heaven-Sent Desserts, Urban Solace, the Linkery, Marie's Diner, Thai Time, Otherside Cafe, and our personal watering hole, Ritual Tavern. There's also Zombie Lounge, which is a lot of people's favourite though not mine. Oh, and North Park Produce sells eight different kinds of feta cheese!

.8 of a mile away is Adams Avenue, home of the famous Lestat's Coffeehouse and a bunch of good used bookstores, one of which has resident cats.

Our house, Fort Lolki, is of course the heart of the area, home of barbecue (we have TWO grills), organic vegetables and a hell of a lot of drinking.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
RedBlitz

I live in eastern Canada in the province called New-Brunswick. I live in small town, but it's nice community. I think there hasent been a murder in like 20 something years.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
His Divine Shadow

I live on Fort Hood, Texas, home of the III Armored Corps "Phantom Warriors" and all its attendant units. The installation itself is approximately the size of Rhode Island, and is accessible only by authorized personnel. The population of the base is larger than several of the outlying towns; the largest adjacent community is Killeen, Texas, which has a symbiotic relationship with Fort Hood and is seemingly and ironically run by Koreans. Someone vanishes from Killeen every day, and it is regarded as the Disappearance Capital of Texas. School is cancelled on the first day of hunting season here, and many skip school altogether on the day of a returning military family member from a long deployment, which irks the school system but there isn't much that can be done about it. Almost everything worth anything is no more than 3 hours away.
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
Antares

Tampere, Finland. Erm. There is probably lots of interesting things here to someone who hasn't lived here for ten years (and before that, lived within 100kms for 15+ years). Third largest city, with a young population, because the city has jobs and schools. Actually me and my friends had a Catalonian friend over yesterday and we fed him all kinds of Finnish foods, which he liked to our infinite surprise (and moderate disappointment, since he liked salmiakki too). :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Jack

I live just outside of Consett, in County Durham. It's got to be one of the dullest towns in the whole of England. The most interesting thing to happen here recently was a local lad went on Big Brother and won, and that was three years ago. And that doesn't count, 'cause he's a total arse, and I knew this before he went on television. Once I get a job, I'm definitely getting out of here.
NastyNate

I live on the Mississippi gulf coast :lol: Any other gundam fans live around here. If so give me a hala [email protected]

It is very hard finding gundam fans around here.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Newtype87

I live in Davis, California. It's about eighty miles or so from San Francisco, and about twenty from Sacramento. Aside from one of my fellow college students being arrested for possessing illegal explosives and one of the dorms being evacuated for about half a day two weeks ago, nothing really exciting happens around here.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

I live in Canada, Mississauga to be exact. Good thing about where I live is that everything's more or less close by. There's a two malls my family frequently goes to, which is about a 15 minute drive, work is about a 20 minute drive away, a grocery store that's within walking distance and there's a hobby shop where I buy my cards from that's 10 minutes up the road.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Feros

I live in New Tazewell, TN good little town, ton of gamers and mecha fans alike here.
"At least try to protect the Leo's" -unknown
ShadowCell

Orange County, California. About twenty minutes from Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm (who goes there anymore?), about an hour south of LA, about two hours north of San Diego, and just close enough to Ontario Airport, Long Beach Airport, John Wayne Airport, and LAX to make a mad dash out if need be. Home of the Orange Crush, which is not the fun-filled citrusy orange soda, but something far more insidious. Also there is scenic Garden Grove, home to my grandmother, who I believe is the old, fat, white, bigoted inspiration for Katejina Ruth.

When people ask if Orange County is like the TV show, I like to point them to places like Stanton and Santa Ana and then laugh at their confused facial expressions.
Mark064

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia on the west coast of Canada. We get the olympics in 2010. There has been a gang war going on earlier this year, I think it still is. The police created a new task force around it. So recently it's not unrare to hear about murders going around. Other then that traffic woes due to construction of the Skytrain linking to the airport and Richmond and people complaining about the homeless due to the Olympics and what not.

I spend time in Richmond and Burnaby too due to school/work/friends. There are lots of asian malls and stores around here which is nice due to the large avaliable selection that I like. Can buy Gundam and anime stuff from one of the numerous anime stores, plus I can buy my monthly Gundam Ace at one of the Japanese bookstores. Other then that nice ocean and mountain views. Lots of beaches, well you know what an ocean is like. Skiing and snowboarding in the winter (though I've never been =/). Lots of rain too. We have an amusement park called Playland but it's kinda lame. We have a relativily good public transport including the Skytrain which links a bunch of cities easily and quickly. Lots of movies are filmed around here and it's sometiems called Holywood North.
Last edited by Mark064 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz Ashlyn

I'm attending Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi, Texas, the city with a rape rate 7 times higher than the national average! 8)

The TAMU-CC campus is nice and Gulf Coast-y, but it's not that big a deal for me since I'm from a town about 2 1/2 hours up the Texas coast that was less than 30 minutes from the Gulf.

We're on our own island which is cool in a James Bond villain sort of way, and I live in the dorms so I guess that makes me an expendable henchman. My jumpsuit would probably be blue or green to match the evil "school" colors, and our mascot is a Tiki god cannibal thing (WOO IZZY!) that would probably rise up out of the island and shoot lazers or something.

Less than a mile away is NAS-CC, the local naval air station, which means campus is almost constantly loud with aircraft noise. It can be interesting or annoying, but after the first semester you learn to tune it out.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Draco Starcloud

ShadowCell wrote:Orange County, California.
Pretty much what he said applies for me too. Some of the details might be different, but insignificantly so.

And if by Orange Crush you mean the freeway exit, I take that exit every day. It's not so bad when you get used to it.

Now if only those.....PEOPLE.....would learn to use TURN SIGNALS.

>_<#
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
ShadowCell

Draco Starcloud wrote:And if by Orange Crush you mean the freeway exit, I take that exit every day. It's not so bad when you get used to it.
By Orange Crush I mean where the 57 South merges onto the 91 West, which some genius decided was the perfect place to have two lanes merge into one. Although the interchange between the 57, the 22, and the I-5 is also aptly described by a military term rhyming with "musterbluck."

It's why I only use the freeways on the weekends, when it isn't quite as slow.
Wedge14

As my location says(that lil blurb of text below my avatar.) I live in Hamilton Ontario Canada.

We make a lot of steel here. We have a CFL team and an AHL team. Every year we try and weasel our way into getting an NHL team. Alot of movies are filmed here.
Link

This city really goes against the Canadian myth that this country is a beautiful green wonderland. It's a really industrial heavy place, with a lot of smog warnings and other things.

Creepilly enough i could drive to were Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine lives in under a half an hour. :P
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Turinu

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. Not much excitement here. The only semi-exciting thing that has happened in the past few years was when the Super Bowl was held here.

Currently I reside near Downtown Jacksonville, though thankfully not anywhere within its vicinity. That place scares me, aside from The Landing. I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere to say the least; in the sense that while I could previously walk to places where I used to live, now I have to drive or take the bus to reach areas I could easily reach before. D:

Also, a lot of road construction down here.

Also, the women may be fairly attractive down here (in some cases), but 70% of them are quite annoying, irritating, selfish, etc... you get the idea.
Last edited by Turinu on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeonfromHell

I'm staying in a dorm at the University of Northern Iowa. This past week, we had a campus lockdown. A bleeding-heart freshman threatened to kill his girlfriend after she dumped him, and he evidently said he had a gun. They took that very seriously and told us to lock ourselves in our rooms and stay in the residence halls. The guy was later apprehended about 80 miles away in Des Moines.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Draco Starcloud

ShadowCell wrote:By Orange Crush I mean where the 57 South merges onto the 91 West, which some genius decided was the perfect place to have two lanes merge into one. Although the interchange between the 57, the 22, and the I-5 is also aptly described by a military term rhyming with "musterbluck."
Yeah, I drive that a lot. Been driving it almost every day for a year-and-a-half.

EDIT: Zeonfromhell, you rock. Both my parents were UNI grads and I have a few Panther shirts thank to that.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10