So What's Up With Gundam.com?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
speedstriker

So What's Up With Gundam.com?

I never quite figured ou why a blank page has to exist on the internet for so lon without a aingle sign of opening up as the page promised.

"We apologize for the delay, the website will be launched when possible!"
It said since two years ago...

Anyone care to clear this mystery?
Kishiria

I think it's just been abandoned. I miss the old site, but I don't look forward to it re-opening anymore.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
His Divine Shadow

Considering the headache it was and the fact the world didn't end when it shut down, would you want to pick that cross back up? I'd be reluctant if I were in that position. :?
"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
ShadowCell

Last I heard, the admin went off to do some soul searching.

I guess he never got to the "finding" part.
Wingnut

Even the site linked to at the bottom is supposedly undergoing a major overhaul. I gave up on any hope of the site coming back back in 04. I am a little surprised that a holder page still exists however as most sites that are gone after this long don't have the domain name still active.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Aegis

I'm sure Amuro/Lonewolf/Ben can answer, though the gist of it as far as I know involved something with family and just plain busy. There were definite plans to revive the site, complete with info on the different series aside from the usual stuff. I can personally tell you that, other than the few people here and there that I had to use the modstick on in a terrible way, the later months before the shutdown was actually fun, and not the cesspool that others had claimed to be.

At any rate, I also doubt the site would be resurrected. AnimeX is barely ever maintained these days, the biggest change being the total removal of news and the like on the front page.
Momaru

Not to sound overly critical of gundam.com, but what would they be able to offer that MAHQ doesn't? I doubt that there is really anything gundam that they could cover that isn't being done well with MAHQ or being done with another site. I just can't see there being a user base that would want to use gundam.com when you have the extremely well working and user friendly MAHQ and it's "offshoot" Gunota already covering all aspects of the gundam franchise.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
ShadowCell

I would imagine that's all simply because Gundam.com has been dead for years, and in the meantime other sites like MAHQ have started doing what Gundam.com did.
Nimrod

Momaru wrote:Not to sound overly critical of gundam.com, but what would they be able to offer that MAHQ doesn't? I doubt that there is really anything gundam that they could cover that isn't being done well with MAHQ or being done with another site. I just can't see there being a user base that would want to use gundam.com when you have the extremely well working and user friendly MAHQ and it's "offshoot" Gunota already covering all aspects of the gundam franchise.
Funny thing about your statement is that there were many there that said the same thing about what could other sites offer as opposed to gundam.com during it's time.
MrMarch

Moral of the story: it always helps to have a backup :)

Complementary websites are a good thing in my mind. No one can predict the future and as is the case with gundam.com and the MAHQ, it obviously paid dividends to have a little redundancy.
Aegis

Momaru wrote:Not to sound overly critical of gundam.com, but what would they be able to offer that MAHQ doesn't? I doubt that there is really anything gundam that they could cover that isn't being done well with MAHQ or being done with another site. I just can't see there being a user base that would want to use gundam.com when you have the extremely well working and user friendly MAHQ and it's "offshoot" Gunota already covering all aspects of the gundam franchise.
It definitely wasn't a big depository of Gundam information back in the day anyways (The Gundam Project was a better site for that kind of info in terms of mechs anyways), but it did have a significantly larger community. It was more of a hangout where members get to talk about Gundam as well as show off their fanmade stuff (hence there was a place for galleries of art/gunpla and creative writing for each series) and a Paintchat to boot. As I said, the last group of staff along with the absolute absence of some of the usual troublemakers kept the forums under control, so in spite of the lack of any concrete information that the likes of MAHQ and Gunota has, it was still very popular. Now, its sister site, AnimeX... that's a different story.