What's Your Latest Movie?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Chris
Administrator

What's Your Latest Movie?

I decided to make a movie clone of the "What's Your Latest Game?" thread. Here, post the name of the latest movie you've seen or purchased and offer some comments on it. It can be anime or live action. I'll start off...

Latest movie seen: I am Legend. Pretty good movie, and better than I expected. Will Smith actually did a very good job playing the part of someone fighting a losing battle against isolation and despair. Didn't care too much for there being CG monsters though, as they looked pretty lame and un-human.

Latest movie purchased: Blade Runner Final Cut (Blu-ray). I've been waiting for this movie for years, and I'm sure it will be the pride of my Blu-ray collection (for now). Still waiting for it to get here from Amazon, so I unfortunately don't have any thoughts on the movie yet.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Last movie I've seen: Infernal Affairs, Asian movie which spawned off The Departed, its a nice little film.

Last movie Purchased: Appleseed, bah I wanted to get the CGI one but got the animated one by mistake.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Jack

Latest movie seen: Cloverfield. Absolutely stunning - a fresh take on the monster/horror genre, and a reminder that big-budget blockbusters can still be good. I'll be going to see it again later this week, and I hope to see someone in the audience affected by this motion sickness thing I keep hearing about.
Dynames

I am legend was my latest movie to, pretty good movie spooky kind of.
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
thenuke9000

The last movie I went to see was Rambo...I thought it was a great movie and the only thing I have to say without giving spoilers is .50 Caliber entrance and exit wounds.
BOOMER SOONER
Oh my God its a GUNDAM!!!!!!!!!!!
TUCK FEXAS
SNT1

Yeah. I am Legend is also the last movie I've seen; back in 2007. Great stuff. It was an awesome way to end the awesomely awesome 2007 movie year.

Next up: Rambo! (next weekend, that is)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
MrMarch

There Will Be Blood. Even posted a review here :)
Dendrobium Stamen

In the cinema: I Am Legend which was, as already stated, a great film.

On DVD: Shoot 'Em Up, a truly amazing film made awesome by totally not taking itself seriously.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Aegis

As a promise to a cute girly, I ended up watching Atonement. I'm... not into those kinds of romance films and all, and didn't think it was such a great movie that it'd be garnering the kinds of praises and nominations that it had. One thing I do admit was actually good was the whole debacle with the misplaced letter, and the rather sad, bittersweet ending.

Now, impatiently waiting for The Dark Knight to watch. Cute girly also happens to be a Batman fan, which makes me quite happy. :D
wing zero alpha

In Theater: Rambo. Took my Uncle, who's an ex-Drill Sergeant, to see it, and we ended up cracking every gun joke we could think of through the movie. Next up, Jumper, better known as Anakin vs. Mace Part II.

On DVD: Battle Royale. All I can say is damn. I've seen some pretty messed up movies in my lifetime, and I had already read the manga version of the story, but even that didn't prepare me for how dark and gruesome this movie was. This definitely won't be showing up in the local Suncoast or Best Buy any time soon.
Daemoro

Not a movie person (I'm really, really, really, really, really picky about what I like watching, plus I haven't been impressed with Hollywood's body of work fo the past decade and counting - and my DVD collection is mostly anime) so I'll just post what I've seen:

War starring Jet Li and Jason Statham (seen at a cousin's on Xmas Day)

DVD purchase(s): Transformers (Dreamworks) and Serenity (bought both of them during Boxing Day)
Saikuba

The last movie that I watched was that adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I am talking of course about The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price.

If you're not put off by old movies I'd recommend it. The budget was clearly shoe-string, and Vincent Price is not really suited to action scenes, but for the most part they do a good job working around those two problems. Overall it isn't a very spectacular movie, but it is interesting for a variety of reasons.

Firstly it is a lot closer to the original book than the later versions, which means that the infected are clearly vampires and the movie makes no attempt to hide it. For me it was pretty refreshing after getting so many zombie movies with only slight variations on the rules. The other thing I found interesting was how it seems reminiscent of The Night of the Living Dead (in the surviving amidst undead aspect), and to a lesser extent Planet of the Apes (in the one man completely alone, surrouded by an alien civilization aspect... and the ending almost seems to be riffing Heston's closing rant), though it predates both of those movies and isn't very well known now.

And it's in the public domain to boot.
Antares

In theater: Juno. I have reassert my manly manliness by saying that I was taken there by female friends. But it was a good movie. I sympathized with some characters (mostly Bleeker), and I especially liked the leading lady (Oscar nomination deserved, IMHO). Even my famed shield of cynicism(tm) was partially melted by this movie. The music in the movie it did not care for though. But a definite movie to take a loved one to (as long as you can dodge the premise of the movie, which is an unwanted/unexpected pregnancy).

Latest DVD purchase: Hot Fuzz and Shoot'em Up. The latter was a gift, my brother gave it to me. We both knew of the movie, but didn't expect to see what we did. I echo Dendrobium Stamen's sentiments. Hot Fuzz has similar ideas. A british comedy (way better than Shaun of the Death, the same makers). Brits doing an American cop movie in short (with a splash of something that reminded me of Lovecraft, but scarier because I know people like that).
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
teslashark

last:SICKO by mike moore. now i'm going to be a moore fan.
next:APPLESEED EX MACHINA. for busiiness,actually.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
solid snake

Last in theaters: Cloverfield. Pretty good monster movie, but I don't see why I've heard so many complaints about motion sickness. I didn't have any problems.

Last on DVD: Batman Begins. A great reboot of the franchise and got me really pumped up to see The Dark Knight.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Nightwing03

Wow, everyone's latest movie they've seen in the cinema is I Am Legend, it's also mine XD
The movie was indeed incredible, but i don't know why they labeled it horror, it wasnt even scary. I CRIED when the sam (The dog) died. But yes the CGI monster/mutant things werent at all scary, it just doesnt look real enough.

Latest movie on DVD.
IIRC it was American Pie: The Beta House
I absolutely cracked up laughing in this movie- I warn you this movie is not for people who throw up easily, cause one scene almost made me vomit. There's even an appearance from Jim's dad.
♣♦♠♥
wonton bob

Dvds I've seen last week:

Gone,baby,gone: slow but nice type of detective flick. Ed Harris looks bad ass. The ending did have me thinking if the choice made was right.

3:10 to Yuma: Okay western. saw the end coming sort of.

American Gangster: Very good. Denzel was even more cruel than in Training Day. Damn those junkie relatives. also makes you want to hate the white man. (actually corrupt cops)

Last King of Scotland: Not sure why Whitaker won the oscar for this one. He's clearly a mad man. also not sure how much of the story is real. Damn those horny Scots.

Letters from Iwo Jima. another good film. you can see the desparation in their eyes. but also see the foolishness in sacrifice. I got caught up rooting for a soldier to make it out alive in this one so I did get some character with history for once
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
DAG101

latest seen: Simpsons. not that good, but watchable

Latest bought: Actually a christmas gift (close enough :D ) Coheed and Cambria: The Last Supper (Live at hammerstien Ballroom). amazing, but I would have preffered some non-Good Apollo I videos
Commissar Bright Noa

The latest movie I saw was cloverfield. Awesome incarnate.

Off topic: According to this article Rambo kills an average of 3 people a minute: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7992 ... 153nx0.jpg
LaBambaMan

Last movie I saw was "Strange Wilderness" earlier this evening. Not bad, not great, just sorta' meh.

Last movie I purchased, "Grosse Point Blank". But I do plan to go get "Aristocats" tomorrow(I love that movie!)

-Spencer
"Because frankly you're thinking entirely too hard about the physics behind giant flying robots." - Homeless