Speed Racer: The Movie

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
VR7

Speed Racer: The Movie

Surprised there isn't a thread on this. I know Mach Go Go Go is obviously an anime, but since this topic is about the live action movie being done by the Wachowski brothers, I'm posting it here.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=401&item=0

My only gripe is that they don't talk fast enough. :P
-noel
razgriz

welllll that was um interesting, campy yet cool trailer imo. but the cars look a lil too CGI for me. i guess i got spoiled by the flawless machines in transformers.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
wing zero alpha

The cars and race tracks look like something out of Spy Kids in my opinion. Not something I expected from the Wachowskis.
r34racer01

Hmmmmmm

wing zero alpha wrote:The cars and race tracks look like something out of Spy Kids in my opinion. Not something I expected from the Wachowskis.
They purposely chose to do this because this is aiming to be a PG family flick. I actually think this campy style is fitting, and only the Wachowski's could do something that weird and make it good. So even though after seeing those first pics with the crazy CGI I was freaking out, after seeing the HD trailer I now have even higher hopes for this film, and think it just might actually work.
Don't steal, the government hates competition.
ShadowCell

I guess I could dig that, as long as there's a narrator who talks a little faster than a normal human being should be able to talk.
Hyakushiki

ShadowCell wrote:I guess I could dig that, as long as there's a narrator who talks a little faster than a normal human being should be able to talk.
Also he must always remind you that Racer X is really Speed's older brother Rex who left home years ago.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Tafumi

Chim Chim is Racer X. (Not really, but I like saying it to confuse people.)

Either way... a live action movie. I don't really know how well that'd fly over. There wasn't a whole heck of a lot to the series. But hey, I'll watch it.
ShadowCell

Speed Racer is the reason why I hate NASCAR (well, one of the reasons). What's the point of automobile racing if you're not doing it down the side of an erupting volcano?

So at least they appear to have preserved the racing-in-areas-that-no-sane-human-being-would-go-anywhere-near aspect.
CarbonStereoxide
Location: Starting an explosive party at Azadistan with Setsuna

well speed racer is one of the first anime that I saw aside from mecha ones, and I do really hope that the movie will be loyal and great to the animation.

BTW is chim chim in the movie a real chimp or not a real chimp?
Kidou Senshi Gundam 00

"Celestial Being is the World's Finest Terrorist"- Tieria Erde

"Wanna Get High?"- Towelie

"I'll Dance in your Grave Tonight"-Hallelujah Haptism

"Mosque Closed, Party's Over!"- Lockon Stratos after shooting Ali-Al-Sarches
Wingnut

ShadowCell wrote:So at least they appear to have preserved the racing-in-areas-that-no-sane-human-being-would-go-anywhere-near aspect.
It wouldn't be Speed Racer if they didn't. And I agree, racing around in circles can be rather dull to watch. The terrain must be an element of the race as well.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Nimrod

I know it's just a trailer and it's not really right to judge based on it but to me it looks like total crap.

Watch it turn into the biggest hit ever...
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Nimrod wrote:Watch it turn into the biggest hit ever...
Watch it turn into the biggest hit ever because it's good. lol :P

This movie looks like it could actually be pretty good. Sure we'll miss the whole talk-faster-than-possible-for-a-human-being aspect, but I think we'll make due. The CGI does look pretty "Spy Kids", but as r34racer01 said, it's intentional as this movie is generally aimed at the same general age-group as Spy Kids in the first place. I have to say, normally I don't have high hopes for live-action-makings like this because of the generally bad track record so far (Transformers is one of the few successes I've seen), but I'm looking forward to this movie. :)
Haros_Pet_Kat

The asian guy with white hair will attract some anime demographic, for sure.

As for the Spy Kids CGI... It's not so much the CGI itself, but that it provides an unhealthy contrast between those scenes and staged scenes. I do dig the cheesy 60's feel of some of the movement effects, though.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
Folken Fanel

The Wachowskis? I'll think its good if they don't stick a confusing plot contrivance in it to make the ending make sense. I liked Speed Racer as a kid, so I'll end up checking this out whether its good or not. The trailer makes it look like its more than a movie about racing cars in impossible terrain though...
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
Kishiria

(Kishiria stops running around the room waving her arms over her head long enough to type:)

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!

I saw photos in USA Today and wasn't sure what I thought. Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm all happy. I do agree that the CGI is a bit heavy-handed; in the bit where the cars are jumping into a desert, I thought it looked more like a scene from "Xavier: Renegade Angel" (which I think is the funniest thing ever) than anything from another Wachowski movie.

John Goodman was born to play Pops. Not sure about Cristina Ricci as Trixie but I'll give her a chance certainly.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Gadget

After the children bedtime story CGI in Polar Express, comic book CGI in 300, there's the fantasy CGI in Beuowolf.

So now is anime CGI in SR. I hope they remember that is the story that matters, not eye candy. At least the March 5 looks like the real March 5, not the 1990's version.

And I agree that John Goodman plays a very convincing Pops.

The next, non-movie question is...what merchadise is going to come out? The original M5, or the movie M5
razgriz

it could easily be a mix of both old gen SR and new gen SR merchandise a la star wars and battlestar galactica to appease both generations of fans.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
MrMarch

Definitely not my kind of film :)
Leader

CarbonStereoxide wrote:BTW is chim chim in the movie a real chimp or not a real chimp?
Why wouldn't they use a real chimp?
Hyakushiki wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I guess I could dig that, as long as there's a narrator who talks a little faster than a normal human being should be able to talk.
Also he must always remind you that Racer X is really Speed's older brother Rex who left home years ago.
Ah, so I see that you too are aware that Racer X is really Speed's older brother Rex who left home years ago I am very pleased to see that others still remember this why I remember not to long ago that I was speaking to someone and they had no idea that Racer X is really Speed's older brother Rex who left home years ago and I was very shocked but I was even more shocked when the Mach Five showed up in the race I had sent my henchman to sabotage the Mach Five but it was in the race so they must have failed to sabotage the Mach Five! Uh, waaa!?
Wingnut

Leader wrote:
CarbonStereoxide wrote:BTW is chim chim in the movie a real chimp or not a real chimp?
Why wouldn't they use a real chimp?
They used two actually.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.