Cloverfield

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Moderators: ShadowCell, mcred23, EZero8

razgriz

Cloverfield

Post by razgriz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:39 am

i know i wasnt the only one to see this, but prior to watching transformers a short teaser trailer came on for an as yet untitled ummm monster/action/sci-fi/horror? movie came on. it didnt show much just a going away party in NYC that was interrupted by what was at first thought to be an earthquake but then big fiery explosions and freaky sounding roars start coming in from the distance. at the end a fiery piece of debris lands on the street nearly crushing the partygoers which turns out to be the head of the statue of liberty. all this was shot handheld aka blair witch project style which made it even feel more disturbing. i was thinking to myself, what? they remade godzilla again? it definitely piqued my curiosity. all i figured out was that this unamed film is codenamed "cloverfield" and that of course according to the teaser it will be out 1/8/08. someone, not me btw, rumored that this might be a live voltron movie, but that seems a little too way off for me. however freezing the screen on youtube reveals that this movie is a "bad robot production" soooo the plot thickens :twisted: this movie better be worth all this brainwork or ill be pissed
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:12 am

Checking the internet Movie Database it seems your mystery flick of the name "cloverfield" is listed as "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/

Adds a bit more to your mystery and before you say "Star Trek", it's got it's own listing so this isn't it.

Falconfire

Post by Falconfire » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm

It is Cloverfield and it is the next movie from JJ (Star Trek XI is still in pre-production and will be till Nov when they should be done shooting this)

It is Abrams take on the Godzilla movie, except its shot entirely from the POV of those people at the party you saw, with digicams and not real cameras Blair Witch style.

The monster is so far names "The Parasite" and little else is really known about it except that. Its actually unknown if we will ever see the thing up close as its being hinted we wont be.

Infact Cloverfield might not even be its real name.

http://www.1-18-08.com/

As for the director, its the guy who created Felicity, and another producer on the flick is Bryan Burk who also is working with JJ on Trek.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:29 am

Ugh. Hated Blair Witch. Hated the style.

For a moment I was kind of hopeful for it being the Eva movie... but I guess I was being over-expectant.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:05 am

patience mwulf, so long as robin williams is still alive you can hope for an evangelion movie :D
(setsuna giggling)

Ryujin

Post by Ryujin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 am

IIRC, they've restarted pre-production on that just recently.

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:15 am

obviously transformers 2007 proved that big killer robots can look very feasible on screen. megs had an eva-ish look to him, especially his jaw.

more news on project: cloverfield:
2 websites have popped up apparently relating to the movie
http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/
and
http://www.ethanhaaswaswrong.blogspot.com/

they are definitely um cryptic but if the "wrong" website reveals anything it speaks of "godlike" creatures coming to wage war on the earth, so the plot thickens :?
(setsuna giggling)

solid snake

Post by solid snake » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:13 pm

Well that certainly looks interesting. Based on the trailer and the websites, I'm guessing that the movie deals with an alien invasion and this guy Ethan Haas predicted it, while another group is trying to cover it up.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

Charismatic Enigma

Post by Charismatic Enigma » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:40 pm

JJ Abrams...Isn't that the guy who does LOST?
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Charismatic Enigma wrote:JJ Abrams...Isn't that the guy who does LOST?
That is correct.

He also did Alias.

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:20 am

there are crazy rumors abound about project "cloverfield" one of the latest and definitely intriguing is that this might be cthulhu's big break. um did i spell that right
(setsuna giggling)

solid snake

Post by solid snake » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Some more information on Cloverfield:

Cloverfield Hype Begins

The mysterious teaser trailer playing with Transformers this weekend touts Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams' upcoming SF project, an as-yet-untitled movie code-named Cloverfield, and a viral Web promotion has also begun.

Two new viral Web sites have gone live, Ethan Haas Was Right and Ethan Haas Was Wrong, with puzzles somehow related to the movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the entire project has moved forward under a cloak of secrecy. Abrams is producing the film, which is being directed by Matt Reeves, who co-created Abrams' Felicity, and it's written by Drew Goddard, who has worked with Abrams on Lost and Alias.

To cast the film, no scripts or even scene pages were sent out; agents who were contacted were simply asked if their client wanted to be in the movie or not. The cast includes Michael Stahl-David (The Black Donnellys), Odet Jasmin, Mike Vogel (Supercross) and Lizzy Kaplan (The Class). The movie is slated to open Jan. 18, 2008.

Reeves Helming Abrams' Cloverfield?

Ain't It Cool News reported a rumor that writer Matt Reeves (Under Siege 2) will helm the upcoming J.J. Abrams-produced monster movie code-named Cloverfield.

Abrams' longtime producing partner, Bryan Burk (Lost, Star Trek), will produce the movie, whose real title is being kept under wraps. Former Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer writer Drew Goddard is reportedly writing the script.

The site added that a teaser trailer for the top-secret movie will be attached to Paramount's Transformers; the movie itself is aiming for a Jan. 18 release.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

yukikaze

Post by yukikaze » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:25 pm

the 4 main theorys that ive heard:
Eva movie (probobly not)
Voltron (heck yes!)
cthulhu (no comment, dont know Lovecraft very well)
actual giant monster movie (most likely)

im hoping for Voltron, but it is a paramount movie, and Voltron is owned my universal.

EDIT: yes, i know an Eva movie is virtually impossible, but that is just what has come up on 4chan. they did try to make one a couple years back, but they didnt get any farther than some early drawings.
Last edited by yukikaze on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deacon Blues

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Um... it's kinda impossible for that to be the EVA movie... :/

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:01 am

agreed, if it were eva, the trailer would be a whole lot scarier and more confusing. and um pseudo religious
(setsuna giggling)

Nagi

Post by Nagi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:02 am

If it's a Voltron movie, it's a pretty crappy approach to one, akin to how far removed Tristar's Godzilla was to the original Toho creation. Filming the entire film from the perspective of frat kids with camcorders won't tell us jack about any of Voltron's plot, and certainly won't be a way to develop the lions' pilots as characters (not to mention with it being on Earth, there's no Princess Allura). And the only reason people even think it is a Voltron movie is because of one misinterpreted line: "it's alive, it's huge," which people seem to think is "it's a lion, it's huge." If it was a lion, one of Voltron's, then the fact that it's destroying the city and slaughtering innocents would just further degrade it as any sort of worthwhile Voltron adaptation. All those people thinking it's Voltron should certainly hope it's not.

It couldn't be an Evangelion movie for the same reason. Too far removed, and the perspective the film is going to be shot at wouldn't tell us a single, solitary thing about the characters and plot behind Evangelion.

Really, the most likely explanation is just a new giant monster that we've not seen before. The whole point of this film is to show a monster attack from the perspective of the random civilians you always see scurrying beneath the creature's feet, not to adapt a beloved franchise character or robot superhero to the big screen.

Ascension

Post by Ascension » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:12 am

Speaking of pseudo-religious, the "Ethan Haas is wrong" site appears to be casting Ethan in the role of crackpot doomsday prophet. Apparently this isn't just going to be an alien invasion, it's going to be an alien deity invasion. It also mentions a war between the gods, so we may have another "Their war, our world" situation on our hands.

I suppose "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," but still... I don't have my hopes up. The trailer was fairly promising, but from the teaser websites, I'm afraid that this is going to turn way too mystical.

I could almost see it being EVA related (gods=angels?), but the lack of any names or symbols connected with the franchise completely kills that silly notion.

Call me back when the site is renamed "Gendowasright"... lol
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.

razgriz

Post by razgriz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:15 am

seriously im sure 12 of us couldve pulled a better eva or voltron movie trailer out of our umm yeah. but yeah im definitely leaning now on a new bad*** monster thats obviously capable of shotputting the statue of liberty's head. hopefully it will be better than the godzilla remake done by the independence day guys.
(setsuna giggling)

Ryujin

Post by Ryujin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:28 am

With regards to the Ethan Haas stuff, it has absolutely no connection with JJ's project (JJ says so himself in a letter to AICN).
The only site connected with 'Cloverfield' that has been found is still http://www.1-18-08.com/ It's apparently just coincidence or someone riding on someone else's coattails.

Some people think that the Haas stuff is somehow tied in with an upcoming RPG known as 'Alpha Omega'.

Ascension

Post by Ascension » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:46 pm

I thought the banner at the going away party said "We'll Miss You Ethan"... Wouldn't that solidly tie Ethan Haas together with the movie trailer? I've also seen theories that JJ denied the connection between the Haas sites and the movie as an intentional misdirection as part of the publicity ARG...

It's really all too soon to tell...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.