Pirates of The Caribbean 3: At Worlds' End

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Ravager

Pirates of The Caribbean 3: At Worlds' End

This movie is better than Spiderman 3 by a fair margin! Totally intricate plots, and the actors' performances are already worth it to watch this movie.

I think Jack Sparrow should be immortalized as one of the best heroes of all time! The ending is good too, and leaves plenty of room to make a fourth Pirates movie.

Anyone else watched this one already?
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Newtype87

Watched it last night. Agreed: an axcellent example of a movie. Lots of great fight scenes, lots of humor, a bit of a sad ending (not giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet!) and we get to see just how crazy Jack Sparrow really is.

"Peanut!"
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
ZeonfromHell

Re: Pirates of The Caribbean 3: At Worlds' End

Ravager wrote:This movie is better than Spiderman 3 by a fair margin!
That doesn't say much...Spiderman 3 was pretty lousy. However, I violently await seeing that film. Pirates has never dissapointed me.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Ravager

:P Those hallucination scenes are so hilarious! I like the scenery when they journey across the frozen sea, the sea of stars place and the sea with the sun as a backdrop. Very beautiful!

The ONLY, ONLY thing i'm disappointed is the absence of a grand battle that i so anticipated. I mean, this is to Pirates what Return of The King is to LOTR, and if they could have Minas Tirith, Pelennor and Helm's Deep in those movies, why didn't they let the two fleets engage each other? Seems such a waste, especially considering the sheer size of the Royal Navy's warfleet. I would've wanted to watch grand broadside engagements :evil:
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Newtype87

Yeah, Ravager, that was my one big complaint. I mean, come on! I want to see dozens of ships blowing the crap out of each other… though the (censored) and the (censored) doing a double broadside down the sides of the (censored) pretty much makes up for it. Sorry about censoring out the names, but I'm still trying to be spoiler-free here.

The biggest complaint I've heard from some reviewers is the complicated plot: SO WHAT?! I like the complicated plots, and the double and triple plans on the part of all the characters. It keeps you guessing as to who's on who's side; plus, that's probably exactly as pirates were: shaking hands over a deal as they're backstabbing each other.

That one captain or leftenant pretty much summed up Jack Sparrow: "Do you suppose he planned this all out, or do you think he's making it up as he goes along?"

EDIT: Actually, one other minor complaint: what mark did Jack leave on Beckett? Was it supposed to be a physical mark, or an emotional one? Either way, they really didn't say what it was.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Dark Duel

Yeah, the double-broadside had to be one of the sweetest scenes in the whole movie.
Well that, and the bit before that with the two ships duking it out.
But MAN, Keith Richards was freakin' awesome in this movie, even though he's only in it for like, twenty minutes.
Barbossa rocks. Period. He just rocks.

I dunno 'bout Spidey 3, I haven't seen it...I mainly want to see it because Sandman and Venom look awesome.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Aegis

I definitely loved the third movie, and rank it higher than the second; I already loved it for the simple fact that Jack Sparrow has returned to his good old scheming self. :P Not that he wasn't scheming before in the second movie, but I kinda felt he wasn't as sharp or as 'lucky' as he was in the first movie. Thus, seeing him plotting and making up crap as he goes along (and being successful while he's at it) made me smile.

Of course, the movie was also great because of Geoffrey Rush and his bigger screentime as Captain Barbossa. He was always the more competent captain compared to Jack Sparrow, and we get to see more of that politician and strategist that had him take over the Black Pearl in the first place. Mind you, Sparrow is still the more clever of the two, given how he just outwits him at the most appropriate times when needed. Still, you HAVE to love Barbossa, and how slick and insane he is. :twisted:

Given the name of the movie, it is definitely alot gloomier than the first two, given that the pirates were being hunted down left and right with the help of Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman. The plot was certainly complicated, with the triple plotting at times being on the quick side, but it was far from as confusing as the complaints or the reviews make them out to be. In fact, I found some of the plot to be even clearer than in the second movie, with the whole plot of Davy Jones' romance and all.

Again, overall, I thought the movie was as good, if not better, than the first movie, and a good finish to the trilogy, albeit as mentioned, open ended should Disney decide to add more to the series.
vaKuz

I really like it! Watched it last night at the cinemas. Seems like everyone's favorite scene there is when the small midget uses tht big-ass gun for his size and after he fires he flew back. We were all laughing.

Also, another one of my favorite scenes:-

Sparrow: I'm the captain here!
Barbossa: No I'm the captain!
Sparrow: No I'm the captain!
Barbossa: Ah, but I have the chart!
Sparrow: That makes you Chart man!
Knowledge is limited, but imagination is unlimited

"When you kill a man, it is a tragedy. When you kill 10 million, it is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin, C&C Red Alert
Ravager

Another favourite scene is the marriage scene in the middle of a storm and all the fighting and dying around them. Now that's an awesome way to get married! And by the cool/insane Barbossa nonetheless!

And the previous posts about the double broadside scene. Kickass 8)
wing zero alpha

I was surprised at how long the movie was; I think it was well over two hours long, which is somewhere below Lord of the Rings and Grindhouse length but longer than standard. I guess being a big franchise, Pirates can get away with being longer than most.

Anyway, like many other people I loved the movie myself for reasons already stated. In fact, my only real complaints were the lack of a big fleet battle toward the end (although the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman in the maelstrom was pretty cool) and that they killed the Kraken off in a pretty anti-climatic manner. I know it wasn't that relevent to the plot, but I really liked the giant-squid-on-steroids in the second movie, so to see it all of a sudden wind up pinned to a beach seemed to be a waste.

As for the complicated plot, I actually thought it was easy to follow along, but then I'm used to complicated plots (Metal Gear Solid and Xenosaga fan) so that doesn't say much.
Ravager

It was 2 hours and 45 minutes long, and even with that kind of length, it barely wrapped up all the hanging plot points. I'm glad they didn't make it shorter, or the characters' scheming will be impossible to digest.

I think they killed off the Kraken is because having the Kraken go down in a battle would add alot to the film's length. Doing it this way at least resolves its fate.

More to add: Keith Richards' character, best entrance by any pirate except for Jack himself, and his dead-serious but Jack Sparrow look is cool!

I'm happy some of the Black Pearl soundtrack made it to this film. He's A Pirate! :P
wing zero alpha

Ravager wrote:I think they killed off the Kraken is because having the Kraken go down in a battle would add alot to the film's length. Doing it this way at least resolves its fate.
I figured that was the case, but it still felt like a cop out.
Aegis

wing zero alpha wrote:As for the complicated plot, I actually thought it was easy to follow along, but then I'm used to complicated plots (Metal Gear Solid and Xenosaga fan) so that doesn't say much.
Well, MGS had a complex story, as did the Xeno series. Pirates was just a whole lot of plotting, thus I also found it rather simple to follow in general. Honestly, those who think it's too complex and confusing, I want to hit them over the head.
wing zero alpha

Aegis wrote:Well, MGS had a complex story, as did the Xeno series. Pirates was just a whole lot of plotting, thus I also found it rather simple to follow in general. Honestly, those who think it's too complex and confusing, I want to hit them over the head.
Didn't know you were into the Xeno series Aegis :wink:. Yeah, Pirates was simple in comparison, but I guess to average minded people (funny how most of them write reviews for newspapers and magazines) it was hard keeping track of the shifting alliances, betrayals and plot events.
Ravager

It was very simple to follow for me too, the plot that is. If you want to hit someone over the head, hit my country's national paper's reviewer. He barely understood the plot, lambasted the actors' acting except for Johnny Depp, saying "acting was too strong a word" and that "we should just call them performances", mocked Keith Richards and said at least Geoffrey Rush's skills "weren't tainted by such a terrible movie" :evil:
Jedi Master ZAKU

HA i ma going to see it today WOOOOOO
BlackOpsElf

I saw it Thursday night with a huge crowd of friends. We all cheered when Kieth Richards showed up.

I didn't think the plot was too complicated; I think it was just an intelligent movie, which most action movie fans aren't looking for. The double broadside scene was beautiful, as was most of the arctic footage of the junk ship. The Davy Jones Locker scenes were brilliant.

One of the best movies I've seen this year.
Aegis

Nice use of the sound bites from the actual Pirates ride, I might add. ;p
Draco Starcloud

wing zero alpha wrote:
Ravager wrote:I think they killed off the Kraken is because having the Kraken go down in a battle would add alot to the film's length. Doing it this way at least resolves its fate.
I figured that was the case, but it still felt like a cop out.
I didn't mind, as the Kraken's fate adds to the tension between Davey Jones and his "master."

Actually getting to see it though was a pleasure.

Considering what happened before the end, I was expecting a giant crab to start smashing boats in half.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Folken Fanel

Saw it today, and I must say it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I expected something along the lines of LotR, Xenosaga, and Star Wars all rolled into one. Still, it is my favorite movie so far, and I hope the crew reunites for another one.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.