Stargate SG-1 / Atlantis

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Anonymous

Stargate SG-1 / Atlantis

Discussion of these MGM Series.

I am happy with the season finale of both series, and await the new seasons ^_^
Aegis

Considering that some of the 'filler' episodes have put me to sleep (I gripe more on Atlantis for making such boring episodes), it's good to know that at least they know how to end a season off with a big bang. :) With Atlantis, the Wraith are truly becoming more interesting than merely the hungry leeches that they were made to be in the beginning, especially after the episodes, 'Michael'.
Anonymous

well at least we see more "tech" inuse then in SGC-1
ZeonsGhost

I have to say that, though I like them both, I think the writters have lost their touch with SG-1. While Atlantis seems to be picking up, I think that the latest season of SG-1 has really been a let down. On the postitive, I really like Atlantis.

That's my two bits
My beloved brother Garma Zabi was sacrificed, I ask you why...?" -Giren Zabi

"Because he was spoiled..." - Char Aznable, sipping some wiskey
Neo Dragon Omega

It's true that Atlantis is coming into it's own but i disagree that SG1 is losing it's quality that kind of criticism is part of the tendency to sentimentalise the past and judge all future results by that standard.

I like the fact that its moving forward with its technology (after 9 years adventuring you'd expect some progress) and i find it interesting that they would let both the Prometheus and the Odyssey (obviously that was the one) get destroyed, some might say "pwned". I'm amused though by the unintentional fact that stargate has become a sort of casualty ward for cancelled sci fi shows what with all guests and cast members.

I guess i'm quite excited by the prospect of Earth's growing armada in season 10.
"We do not mourn those who die fulfiling their destiny" - Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Doing work is easy, doing the right thing - that's the hardest."
Anonymous

Neo Dragon Omega wrote:It's true that Atlantis is coming into it's own but i disagree that SG1 is losing it's quality that kind of criticism is part of the tendency to sentimentalise the past and judge all future results by that standard.

I like the fact that its moving forward with its technology (after 9 years adventuring you'd expect some progress) and i find it interesting that they would let both the Prometheus and the Odyssey (obviously that was the one) get destroyed, some might say "pwned". I'm amused though by the unintentional fact that stargate has become a sort of casualty ward for cancelled sci fi shows what with all guests and cast members.

I guess i'm quite excited by the prospect of Earth's growing armada in season 10.
While it may be progressing technologically, in writing the shows are getting horrible. The roles for the new lead are just O'Neil's, the backstory for him is horrid, Carter's reduced role is pissin me off, and the constant crap coming out is horrendous. Instead of telling a story, they are making filler episodes, fluffing in silly Ori plots to end us all when the Ori made giant Dues Ex Machina ships that rolled over our Galaxy's best. They were pretty, but that's not really good writing now is it?

Also Teal'c's positition has also messed with me, since you can tell they are writing for Christopher Judge, not for the character.
MechaGX

I'm kind of glad they are phasing out Carter. Not because I dislike the character, on the contrary I think she is a phenominal component of the show, but I think they are finally letting her vulnerability and limits show, making her less superhero and more hero. I know that eventually she might be taken out of the show all together, but I think this is the gradual result of 9 years of character development. You can only write so much about one character, and Carter has taken up her fair share of story arcs.

I HATE the fact that they left us with two "earth is putzed" cliffhangers, however Ive been pretty happy with the integration of the new Ori storyline. Im glad, as well as saddened that earth is currently on the losing end of this war. Saddened because it seemed at the end of season 8, the show sort of came to a conclusion with earth and her allies winning out and taking over a sizable armada and left us with a "now what" kind of feeling. It should be interesting.

As for atlantis, I think the show is really coming into its own. The end of season 2 really started to expand on the true nature of the major players, and I think we can expect alot more plot development internally in season 3. Turmoil and ethics nightmares make for good TV :)
Anonymous

I never really liked the Stargate series except for the movie that started it all.
Fritz Ashlyn

I never cared for the movie, but I watch SG-1 fairly regularly.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Neo Dragon Omega

Derrick wrote: While it may be progressing technologically, in writing the shows are getting horrible. The roles for the new lead are just O'Neil's, the backstory for him is horrid, Carter's reduced role is pissin me off, and the constant crap coming out is horrendous. Instead of telling a story, they are making filler episodes, fluffing in silly Ori plots to end us all when the Ori made giant Dues Ex Machina ships that rolled over our Galaxy's best. They were pretty, but that's not really good writing now is it?

Also Teal'c's positition has also messed with me, since you can tell they are writing for Christopher Judge, not for the character.
Ok first things first very rarely does a sci fi show of this kind get credited for it's writing case in point: Star Trek->Grammar->That famous line. Even when it comes to awards they'll only get praise if it's a sci-fi film. I don't even pay that much attention to the writing (except where the humor and narrative is concerned), it's just not that worth it plus there is that fatigue effect writers can get - remember they didn't think they'd be going for this long.

There appears to be a misuse of the term Deus Ex Machina as that's only used when a solution comes out of the blue to resolve something, even in this context we had prior knowledge (hope that's not a pun) that there were going ships who were going to kick arse: the chief prior made a big speech about it in the beginning, ori satellite laser took out Prometheus, first sight of ships in penutimate episode.

As for the change in the direction for the characters well that can't be helped just see it as trial and error anyway they'll probably make an in joke about it in their 200th episode, need i remind you of Wormhole Extreme!

However one thing that makes no sense is that your post is quoted as saying how you were pleased with both finales and how you await for the next seasons yet it is contradicted in the following post's peeves. Maybe you were drunk when you write that (St. Patrick's day) but either way everyone's perspective is different *thinks to myself why can't they think like me!:twisted:
"We do not mourn those who die fulfiling their destiny" - Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Doing work is easy, doing the right thing - that's the hardest."
solid snake

And now I am sad to report that SG-1 has been cancelled. This originally came from Science Fiction Weekly at scifi.com:

SG-1 Ends Run; Atlantis Back

SCI FI Channel confirmed that it will not renew its record-breaking original series Stargate SG-1 for another season, but will pick up its spinoff series Stargate Atlantis for a fourth year. SG-1 aired its 200th episode on Aug. 18, and the SF series is the longest-running SF show on American television.

SCI FI issued the following statement on Aug. 21: "SCI FI Channel is proud to be the network that brought Stargate SG-1 to its record-breaking 10th season. Ten seasons and 215 episodes is an astounding, Guinness World Record-setting accomplishment. Stargate is a worldwide phenomenon. Having achieved so much over the course of the past 10 years, SCI FI believes that the time is right to make this season their last on the channel. SCI FI is honored to have been part of the Stargate legacy for five years, and we look forward to continuing to explore the Stargate universe with our partners at MGM through a new season of Stargate Atlantis."

Stargate SG-1, developed for television by executive producers Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner, is based on the 1994 feature film Stargate. SG-1, which originally starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge, began on Showtime, then moved to SCI FI after five seasons. The current cast includes Tapping, Shanks and Judge and newcomers Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. It airs Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Turinu

Well, if they truly cancel SG-1 I hope some of the actors carry over to Atlantis, otherwise Atlantis will probably eventually die down.

The only reason I watch Atlantis is because I watch Stargate SG-1, and it's interesting to watch the crossover episodes. However, I feel Stargate can't be Stargate without Shanks or Tapping, as well as Judge. While I like the addition of Browder and Black (I loved Farscape), it's sad to see them go so quickly. I especially loved the 200th episode where they did the Farscape spoof.

I hope they somehow manage to change their minds. Sure, it took about 8 seasons to rid of the Goa'uld... You'd at least hope they'd take half as long, if not a bit longer, to kick the rears of the Ori.

(Even though this is an old topic, I think it's a good idea to bring it back up with such news as posted prior to this post.)
Saikuba

Stargate doesn't rank up in my most favorite of sci-fi shows but I do watch it quite a bit. It ranks about the same as Firefly for me; sure Stargate isn't as original but then again it takes itself less seriously so it evens out.

Stargate is like old pulp sci-fi. There's no real point but it is an entertaining waste of time. And you know what? That's all sci-fi has to be in my opinion. Sure it can do more, but it shouldn't have to.

Though I do have to say that they have used the "beaming out at the last second" device way too much in the past few seasons.
Daemoro

Here's good news for SG-1 fans. Too bad we're gonna have to buy the DVD to find out what happens with the Ori.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=38566

And there's going to be a Stargate MMORPG called Stargate Worlds coming out next year.
wing zero alpha

An MMORPG? How are they going to pull that off? Stargate's not as expansive as say Star Wars or World of Warcraft.

As for the movies, damn, that bites. I knew SG-1 had to end at some point, but it still bites.
bluemax151

wing zero alpha wrote:An MMORPG? How are they going to pull that off? Stargate's not as expansive as say Star Wars or World of Warcraft.
It could be though. The Stargates give them the opportunity to expand. My major concern is how can you have a decent class system? IMO Galaxies was a pretty big disappointment in that respect.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
solid snake

Well for all those grieving over the death of SG-1, you can take some comfort in the fact that it's not completely dead. This originally came from Science Fiction Weekly at scifi.com:

SG-1 DVD Films Get OK'd

SCI FI Channel's original series Stargate SG-1 will wrap up its 10-year run this spring, but that's not the end of the saga. Executive producer Brad Wright told TV Guide that MGM has granted a green light, and enough money, to produce two movies, most likely for DVD.

The first film will tie up most of the finale's loose threads. "It's the climax of the Ori storyline," Wright said, and will be written and directed by executive producer Robert Cooper. The second film, written by Wright, will involve time travel, and both projects should debut in the fall of 2007.

Though no deals are signed, SG-1's stars are said to be "very eager" to continue, Wright added. "They're not big-budget [films] by any definition, but for us it's pretty good," he said. "As we've proven over the years, just give us little more money and we can make pretty good television or DVDs."
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

A heads-up for those who haven't heard: the second half of SG-1's final season kicks up this Friday on Sci-Fi, along with the return of Atlantis.
razgriz

i started to lose interest in SG-1 after Jack O'Neil went on to bigger but not necessarily better things.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Akuma_Blade

Stargate SG-1 Episode 1 was first aired Turkey in year 1996 ( TGRT channel , but in now a.k.a. FOX TV) , but chosen airing time was o3.00 A.M. and naturally 2 episode after serie cancelled ("Ratings is very low and we are cancelled!")

I was make trade and in last week take DVD Rip series , 24 + 3 DVD but therefore , Turkey official state channel TRT 1 is was from last saturday (7th April 2007) start airing the Stargate SG-1 in 22.30 A.M. / Greenwitch C.E.T. in 20.30 and for missing airings at 03.30 / Greenwitch C.E.T. in 01.30.Stargate SG-1 as replace to previous finished TV serie , Crime Scene Investigation (In last Saturday , Episode 1 : Children of the Gods was aired)

I was watch Episode 1 and see the Movie's good sequel.Episode 2 is next Saturday (14th Saturday 2007) I don't miss it!

TRT 1 is makes masterpiece Turkish dubbings ( I recomment see dublages to a Korean series like Hae-Sin : Emperor of the Sea ) and dubbing is good for Turkish.

Stargate SG-1 TRT1 page : http://www.trt.net.tr/wwwtrt/progdetay. ... proid=4981 (Turkish)