Tokusatsu

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Henyo

Tokusatsu

so, what franchises have you watched/are watching? we can include the Toku like shows from other countries.(like Doctor Who.)

at the moment, i'm watching the Metal Hero Juspion along with the current Sentai, Kamen Rider and Power Rangers.
Juspion quite different from the space sheriff series. monster of the week is always giant size. he has no stock henshin phrase.footage.

planning on catching up to the Showa Ultramen. seems like some of them have been fully subbed. :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Ziryab

Re: Tokusatsu

Start actually exploring tokusatsu about a couple years ago with a new friend made at an anime convention. I mainly know how to find Super Sentai and Kamen Rider at the moment, so I've been viewing different seasons of those in no real order.

Non-Japanese productions... I try to stomach Power Rangers, even as background noise while I do something else, but Dino Charge seems to actually have some good writing. And there's Satira Garuda Bima. An Indonesian production with official Bandai backing and an extraterrestrial/extradimensional foe whose invasion-plan-of-week involves various ways of destroying the economy.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Henyo

Ziryab wrote:Start actually exploring tokusatsu about a couple years ago with a new friend made at an anime convention. I mainly know how to find Super Sentai and Kamen Rider at the moment, so I've been viewing different seasons of those in no real order.

Non-Japanese productions... I try to stomach Power Rangers, even as background noise while I do something else, but Dino Charge seems to actually have some good writing. And there's Satira Garuda Bima. An Indonesian production with official Bandai backing and an extraterrestrial/extradimensional foe whose invasion-plan-of-week involves various ways of destroying the economy.
doing something else while watching a show is reserved for what i call "everything else tier." my priority in watching with full concentration is thus: Magical Girl, Yuri, MEcha, Tokusatsu then comes everything else tier.

Dino charge is good! take it from someone who watched sentai entry 2004 up to the present
is that Satira already showing?(and is someone going to sub it?) i've only seen images. its a positive opn my notebook.
Ziryab

I may be wrong about it being backed by Bandai, though I usually see their banner advertised during the show. However they are indeed partnered with company that creates Kamen Rider and Bima is Kamen Rider-ish as a result.

The show turned out to be popular enough to warrant a sequel series, Satria Garuda Bima X, that's still running. Most of the English sub groups have dropped off or not bothered due to the lack of Indonesian translators in their circles, but[\i] there's still at least one still churning them out. I'll hit you a pm of their site later.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Wellman

Straight up, I mainly watch the Kamen Rider series and I am wanting to watch some of the new Garo shows that came out after the second one.
Henyo

Wellman wrote:Straight up, I mainly watch the Kamen Rider series and I am wanting to watch some of the new Garo shows that came out after the second one.
the franchise is getting bigger and bigger. and in turn makes it difficult for me to start watching it.
i'm barely making room for tokusatsu with all the animes i'm watching. both the old and current ones.

anyone into Doctor Who here? :D
GVmanX

Ziryab wrote:And there's Satira Garuda Bima. An Indonesian production with official Bandai backing and an extraterrestrial/extradimensional foe whose invasion-plan-of-week involves various ways of destroying the economy.
This show looks pretty cool. I'll have to give it a look.

Most of what I've been watching here lately has been stuff from the Ultra Series, considering so much of it has official English subs now. I'm watching Max and 80 on Crunchyroll, and Ultraseven on DVD. Ultraseven's pretty awesome. 80's theme song is the kind that gets stuck in your head for hours.

I've seen a decent bit of Kamen Rider. So far, my favorite series is Agito. I've watched 555 and Kabuto all the way through. I'm halfway through BLACK, Amazon, Kabuto, and Kiva; I have a bad habit of starting these things and never finishing them. To be honest, I prefer the production values of the Showa shows. Heisei does have the benefit of ongoing stories that get a lot of focus, but those fail as often as they succeed in toku. OTOH, those first 13 eps of the original Kamen Rider are some good stuff, and are all episodic. Being episodic isn't anywhere as big as a detriment as I used to believe.

Super Sentai, I haven't seen much. Only one I've finished is Jetman, which I absolutely loved. I'm also really enjoying Sun Vulcan, which is a completely different beast; one episode has the villain lady hunting down diamonds and eating them due to a dream she has where a group of catty women insult her for not wearing any. Dairanger is some good stuff, too; I'm just waiting on Shout Factory to release their DVD set before I watch more.

Since everyone who's been into toku long enough has a few shows that they wish could translated but probably never will be, I might as well mention mine. Spectreman's original Japanese version is some good stuff and has a great soundtrack (at the very least, it stood out to me over the old dub's). Kaiketsu Lion-Maru is also a nifty show from what little I've seen in English. Of course, people have limited interest in Showa stuff to begin with, and the fact that they aren't KR or SS just compounds that.
Henyo

^ we are going to get along just fine! someone who watches different Toku! In Beast Wars megatron voice: YES~

and yeah, Ultraman 80's theme song will get stick in your head! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

He came to us from the Stars!(Waves hand from right to left.)

i suggest you finish BLACK. the show gets even better once Shadow Moon appears! on a side note, this is the only Showa Rider TV series that i've finished. i have yet to make time for BLACK RX.
GVmanX

The part of 80's OP that gets stuck in my head is just the catchy way they say his name.

I have no idea why I've been slow to finish BLACK. I started it back in my sophomore year of high school in 2007 and blasted through half the show. Since then, though, I've only watched an episode here and there. I really need to plop down and finish it like I did with Jetman.

BLACK RX is one of those things that I've heard described as a bad sequel to BLACK, but a good toku show. The suit designs are cool, at least, so the fights should be fun.
Henyo

GVmanX wrote:The part of 80's OP that gets stuck in my head is just the catchy way they say his name.

I have no idea why I've been slow to finish BLACK. I started it back in my sophomore year of high school in 2007 and blasted through half the show. Since then, though, I've only watched an episode here and there. I really need to plop down and finish it like I did with Jetman.

BLACK RX is one of those things that I've heard described as a bad sequel to BLACK, but a good toku show. The suit designs are cool, at least, so the fights should be fun.
URUTORAMAN 80! URUTORAMAN 80!

i already watched BLACK 3 times. :D
IMO, RX's designs if kind of a letdown. same for Acrobatter and his alternate forms.
but Robo Rider makes up for it.

going to Ultraman, Ultraman X is a nice return to TV for the franchise. it did take some time to appreciate X's design. too many metal bits.
my only grip is that TWO CLIPS SHOWS!!! worst is that the second came one episode after the first.
wonder what happened with Tsuburaya...
GVmanX

Yeah, main reason why I haven't started X is because of how blinged out he is. I like my Ultras sleek and simple.

I hope all this streaming does well for Tsuburaya; I'd love to see their entire catalog in English. I wonder if it'd be possible for them to stream Q, original Ultraman, and Ultraseven? I don't think all the Chaiyo shenanigans extend to that, at least.
Kuruni

Lately, I usually stick to movie. Still keep both Kamen Rider and Ultra series in radar, but no longer "marathon" through TV series like I used to.

Well, the same can't be said for Super Sentai, I actually drop it from radar around Dekaranger.

Now, I'm praying that Ultra Kaiju Gijinka Keikaku manga will be big hit that they would make anime (see my avatar).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote:Lately, I usually stick to movie. Still keep both Kamen Rider and Ultra series in radar, but no longer "marathon" through TV series like I used to.

Well, the same can't be said for Super Sentai, I actually drop it from radar around Dekaranger.

Now, I'm praying that Ultra Kaiju Gijinka Keikaku manga will be big hit that they would make anime (see my avatar).
what's that manga about? and there are only a few animated versions of toku franchises. Kamen Rider SD, Ultraman Kids. the american made Ultraman Jonias the Ultraman USA and most recently, the Garo anime entries.

i find Ghost boring. the only reason i keep getting is because of a friend who likes it.

Ninninger is okay so far. also, i can't see that TVtropes info that says Star Ninger is one whole reference to the PR franchise.

@GVmanX: weirdly enough, i don't mind Ultraman the NEXT or his final version, Noa. i'm in a divide to Zero's armor..
Kuruni

Henyo wrote:what's that manga about?
AFAIK, it's 4koma about kaiju girls' wacky life (iy seem to be sort of parody, with the girls being students in kaiju school of sort).

Some images can be found here

It look funny (and cute) enough for me. But of course, the idea of moe anthropomorph kaiju alone already made some fans become hysteria :( .
GVmanX

Kuruni wrote:Lately, I usually stick to movie. Still keep both Kamen Rider and Ultra series in radar, but no longer "marathon" through TV series like I used to.

Ooh, what movies? Do you mean just the big crossover films, or toku films as a whole?

Robot Girls Z has done well enough. I don't see why it'd be different for that. Then again, Ultra fans might work a bit different from Go Nagai/Dynamic Pro fans...
Henyo wrote:@GVmanX: weirdly enough, i don't mind Ultraman the NEXT or his final version, Noa. i'm in a divide to Zero's armor..
With those guys, the armor stuff looks like a natural part of their character designs. X just looks like someone took a bedazzler and plastered his torso.

Anyway, another old P Productions toku that I wish would get some kind of English release is Monster Prince: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_LCal8WTA Apparently, there's an English dub out there. I might have to track it down.

I can't get enough of old P Productions stuff. Old toku's production values tend to be really all over the place, and P Productions is that TO THE EXTREME. Their stuff also frequently crosses the border into the violent/insane territory that Showa toku often does far more often. I don't know how Spectreman has avoided getting an English-subbed release. Then again, so has the old live action Giant Robo. Maybe Shout Factory will do it in between their Super Sentai releases at some point...
Kuruni

GVmanX wrote:Ooh, what movies? Do you mean just the big crossover films, or toku films as a whole?
As whole.
GVmanX wrote:Robot Girls Z has done well enough. I don't see why it'd be different for that. Then again, Ultra fans might work a bit different from Go Nagai/Dynamic Pro fans...
Some people just hate cute stuff, I think.
GVmanX

Can you name some of those movies? I'm always interested in toku stuff I've never heard of before.
Kuruni

I doubt that there's anything you haven't heard of. Usually I pick whatever I find at the store, which is a year late than in Japan.
Henyo

GVmanX wrote:Can you name some of those movies? I'm always interested in toku stuff I've never heard of before.
Vanny Knights. Shougeki Gouraidan. you can also try the Toku version of Sailor moon.
TUXEDO POWAA!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7qO5ED3Hps

Negima's Bakarangers also had a sentai like opening for its live action version.

going on the other side of the pacific:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/php ... ?t=3021059

i am so enjoying Dino Charge. hope the Next series is like it.
YokozunaBulldozer

Anyone see episode 1 of Zyuohger yet?
This is some crazy hilarious stuff and I thought pirate rangers that become other rangers with keys was crazy.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER