Sherlock Season 3

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
NastyNate

Sherlock Season 3

Did anyone catch the first episode of season 3 tonight?

Or how about has anyone seen some of the old seasons?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Dark Duel

Re: Sherlock Season 3

I've seen all of Seasons 1 and 2 twice - not a difficult accomplishment, since that totals up to 6 episodes
:P
I unfortunately missed the episode this evening, but I'm pretty sure I recorded it, so I'll watch it tomorrow.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
NastyNate

Cool. I thought season 3 episode 1 was very good. Kind of seemed to be a bit better acting and set pieces than the previous seasons to me.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Antares

I am liking this series a lot, and have seen every episode so far. It's interesting how the second episode of each season tends to be the weakest...
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Antares wrote:I am liking this series a lot, and have seen every episode so far. It's interesting how the second episode of each season tends to be the weakest...
I would agree that in the first 2 seasons the 2nd episode is the weakest...yet that is not the case for me in season 3. I would say A Sign of Three is the best episode of the season...since it is more about the characters, their interactions, and is far more light hearted then what we have seen before. Overall a great episode if you are a more character fan then plot fan.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

Hmm...honestly, I didn't much like either episode 2 or episode 3 of this season.
Overall, I do feel that this season was probably the weakest overall of the three seasons of the show thus far. Which is a pity, because the first episode was pretty great.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

For ep two was too much set on comic relief and silliness, and the mystery itself was pretty light. It wasn't bad, but it was the weakest link. I also agree with Dark Duel in the general feel that the third season was weakest of the three. Again, not bad, just the least best. :D

I suppose the show's format of only three movie-length episodes per season while their main cast is pretty popular elsewhere in between or during (i.e. they have other projects continuously underway) eats away at the intensity of the scripting and performance both.

I will admit though that Sherlock's character (and John's too) has evolved in Season 3. For those who've set that as their main interest it will undoubtedly be a good thing. For me it is just a plus. I go to Sherlock for the mindgames of arrogant sociopathic geniuses (Magnussen was delightfully repulsive :mrgreen: ). :P
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Dark Duel wrote:Hmm...honestly, I didn't much like either episode 2 or episode 3 of this season.
Overall, I do feel that this season was probably the weakest overall of the three seasons of the show thus far. Which is a pity, because the first episode was pretty great.
Well I disagree, but I think that has to do with the fact that I was never big on the mystery aspect of Sherlock Holmes or just mystery stories in general. But what always drew me back to Sherlock Holmes (novela and mass media) was the CHARACTERS. So seeing Sherlock be the best man in Watson's wedding, watching them both get drunk and try to solve a case, I just couldn't get enough.

I guess my problems with the 1st season are more that I found the 2nd episode kinda dull and the pilot, although amazing when I first watched it, doesn't really hold up all that well over repeated viewings.

My biggest problem with season 2 was the mishandling of Irene Adler (mostly how I wish she actually outsmarted Sherlock and was less sexualized) and how "The Hounds of Baskerville" was the worst episode in the entire series.

If you will allow me a brief rant... it actually astounds me how bad that episode is...it was like it was written, directed, and acted by a entirely different team. The lines felt choppy, Sherlock and Watson's acting was kind of bizarre at moments, and the story itself was IMO dumb.

I guess I liked the 3rd season because it did things differently, with a heavier focus on the characters...which unfortunately left the mysteries half-baked. Which was FINE for me, since I never cared about the cases anyway.

But to each their own. Overall I still love Sherlock and am looking forward for season 4-5.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Antares

Soma Taozi wrote: My biggest problem with season 2 was the mishandling of Irene Adler (mostly how I wish she actually outsmarted Sherlock and was less sexualized)
I've heard that from a couple of women and it's very interesting how that is divided along gender lines. Or maybe not interesting but predictable. For my part, on first viewing I immensely related to the takedown at the end and found it disturbingly satisfactory. Personal history and personality issues, I suppose. :D

But, it wasn't until I discussed the episode with a lesbian friend that I realized that her character was really poorly handled. Because Adler was a lesbian (she said so herself), and yet the writers found it OK for her to fall for Sherlock so that this could be used to devastate her in the end. The execution and the rescue just added insult to injury at that point; she had become dependent. Now, I'm not saying that I can fully agree with my friend's analysis, but it made me re-evaluate my own original reaction.
So seeing Sherlock be the best man in Watson's wedding, watching them both get drunk and try to solve a case, I just couldn't get enough.
I can relate to why you would find that interesting. I'm guessing that for the exact same reasons I found it forced and somewhat uninteresting. ;) Like I said in the previous post, I like the characters too, but for different reasons (when they deliver suspense to the plot).

I suppose the good thing here is that overall Sherlock does deliver something for everyone. :)